ericgu22

TTC Application Process

32 minutes ago, havox said:

Hey does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to contact references after an interview if it's successful? This probably was asked before but I can't really look through the pages right now. 

I had my references contacted within the same week.  interview was on a Wednesday and references were contacted on a Friday. however my references were contacted twice. 

6 hours ago, ghost said:

The training group Triggs and I were in was originally 12, now 10 with 2 rescheduling training- all for Birchmount.

Group prior to us was 14: 10 Birchmount 4 Malvern, 2 groups after us were around 12 each for Birchmount but were switched to Malvern.

I was worried the training groups were bigger.  Good to hear they're small.  I've heard from someone that they're planning to train and switch another 40 people to Malvern.  Is there a reason that groups are being switched to Malvern.   

2 hours ago, havox said:

Hey does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to contact references after an interview if it's successful? This probably was asked before but I can't really look through the pages right now. 

It varies. Mine were contacted the same day after the interview. 

On 2018-01-27 at 11:11 PM, Milli said:

how big is your training group? I've heard good things about the Birchmount Division so I'm really happy. 

Our group was 12 , its been 10 for about aweek or so 2 ppl resigned due to personal reasons , birchmont seems to be a very friendly divison , people are always happy and willing to offer help and i have rarely heard negativity ,, so divisions ive been too in training dont have the same feel as birchmount , hope to see you around sooon !

On 1/27/2018 at 4:28 PM, Transit77 said:

Congrats to getting your training date : )

Back to steeetcar talk, thanks a million https://cptdb.ca/profile/29507-ttcopitm/

I am scared I’ll get into streetcar and never leave but I’m totally good with dual mode training that I’m willing to do : )

If that’s an option I’m totally in : )

That way I’m more valuable and for sure up my pay : ) Plus I could take some bus routes on my day off for over time. You have been super helpful. Any tips for training? What to do to ensure I pass and get on ? 

I got hired into streetcars and while I'm no longer with TTC (moved on to greener pasture) I can tell you that it's not as difficult as people think. Eventually you get it but at first it seems daunting. The new streetcars are really good to operate, plenty of torque from the bogies, I routinely did 60 clicks on the straight rail at union tunnel (speed limit is 30) without even feeling it. So gotta be careful with the m/c, there's not a lot of feedback and despite the size of that streetcar (I recall it weighting 50 tons) it picks up speed quickly.

The old streetcars are the epitome of piece of crap. In the winter you freeze and have to dress like an eskimo because they don't have enough heat. In the summer you'll sweat like a wet rag because there's no a/c and from the body heat and stink of the passengers. Mechanically they are crap.

The braking performance on the old streetcars is marginal at best especially the A-cars. The brake fade is quite bad so you have to take it to track 2 brakes sometimes to actually stop. The braking and emergency brake on the new streetcars in contrast is spectacular and pretty vicious at the same time. Expect anyone standing and not holding on to anything to become Peter Pan if you ever have to slam the m/c into E mode.

So as an operator you have to take those factors into consideration in real time. If you get an onboard which is a situation where a passenger is injured because of how you drive you get in trouble, possibly suspended without pay. With streetcars you have to be very vigilant, not just the switches, rail condition, cars, pedestrians, and potentially broken rail but also the overhead, insulators and diodes which you have to coast on but almost nobody really does once you're done training, speed restrictions, etc. If you take a switch (make a wrong turn) it's considered an accident and you have to call a supervisor and the whole thing becomes a **** show. So definitely the most difficult mode to operate.

To be honest the best mode at TTC is bus. Good old bus. With experience you can drive it as well as you drive a car, you get a/c and good heat, lots of different routes to choose from, easier to short turn. Subway is worst one. I never understood why so many people wanted to transfer there. By the biggest praeiudicium about subway are the jumpers. You get a few of those every month. Every time you pull into a station you don't know who's hiding behind that wall you can't see who's ready to jump right in front of you. It's Russian roulette. The air quality is also pretty bad down as you inhale brake dust, mice crap, not to mention the smell of no-so-hygienic riders that recirculates on the train.

10 hours ago, havox said:

Does anyone know what happens if you fail the medical such as the urine test? I ask this because prior to applying to the TTC I smoked marijuana almost every night to help me sleep. I've stopped since, and have a month before my interview. I assume it'll also be a couple of days after a successful interview before they book a medical. I've held a full time job while I smoked, primarily because I only did it at night as a sleep aid. It would suck if some how the THC hadn't left my system before the drug test and I don't get in. I also can't find any policy's regarding their drug testing.

I had about 2 weeks between my interview and medical.  If you're successful at the interview they will send you a whole bunch of forms and info about the medical.  Also if they do find something in your system they will contact you to discuss it.   

Hello everyone,

I applied for the new position that the TTC has Customer Service Agent and got the job. I had to get some additional documentation regarding my education, which I gave them back in December. I got my offer of employment, did medical and police Check but yet to hear anything about a documentation or a start date. Is there anyone in the same situation?

Would  love to hear from you.

Thanks

Hi everyone!  I was wondering how long it takes to get that call for training start date after you attend the documentation?  I had been waiting for almost 3 weeks and still no calls...   thanks in advance!! 

45 minutes ago, Newby said:

Hi everyone!  I was wondering how long it takes to get that call for training start date after you attend the documentation?  I had been waiting for almost 3 weeks and still no calls...   thanks in advance!! 

It could depend on the position. i applied for the operator position and it was just a little over 3 weeks from documentation to training call.  

3 hours ago, Knicko said:

Hello I went to the information session back in December of last year. Is there a chance that i CAN recieve email for a interview invite?

I'd say so, but it's cutting it close. I went to the info session on January 9th, and the recruiter told us the latest we'd hear back for an interview would be end of March. So 3 month period. If it applies to you then you'd hear back latest would be this month. 

9 hours ago, SeanMac said:

Hi there,

what did you apply for?

Transit Operator position

8 hours ago, Milli said:

It could depend on the position. i applied for the operator position and it was just a little over 3 weeks from documentation to training call.  

Oh ...   ok,  i guess ibhave to wait more patiently...   thanks! 

55 minutes ago, Natewer said:

Hey , just  got Conditional  offer and now my next will Medical just wondering how long would it take till training date if anyone know ? 

my medical was December 7th, and training is coming up on February 14th. 

1 minute ago, Natewer said:

so do they hire a lot of young hires or they go base off just how well you do your interview?

at my documentation i saw a good spectrum of older and younger people.  

Hi Everyone 

Here’s my timeline

Applied July 27th

Information Session Oct 25th

Interview Jan 19th

Medical Feb 6th

after the tests, their medical examiner requested me to do a sleep study, in short, this will be at least another 2 months before its the sleep clinic can report back. Will they keep my application in process? I don’t want TTC to withdraw my conditional offer on the basis of something like it’s taking too long? Im not sure why they want me to do a sleep study, I just got my BZ License about a year ago and had a full medical done, there was no issues there.

5 hours ago, TheAverageGuy said:

Hi Everyone 

Here’s my timeline

Applied July 27th

Information Session Oct 25th

Interview Jan 19th

Medical Feb 6th

after the tests, their medical examiner requested me to do a sleep study, in short, this will be at least another 2 months before its the sleep clinic can report back. Will they keep my application in process? I don’t want TTC to withdraw my conditional offer on the basis of something like it’s taking too long? Im not sure why they want me to do a sleep study, I just got my BZ License about a year ago and had a full medical done, there was no issues there.

safe to say then i didnt get the job. :(

i went for my interview on January 2, 2018

i knew from the moment i sat down as they were super unorganized with their questions and the woman interviewing me were just having a sour day. 

oh well. best of luck to everyone. i will try again next year.

Hey don’t give up hope. I’m confident things will be explained. I hope all goes well. 

Thanks Betablocker for that amazing response. Just wondering what do you do now you mentioned greener pastures???? 

On 2/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, champ2685 said:

i knew from the moment i sat down as they were super unorganized with their questions and the woman interviewing me were just having a sour day. 

They will notify you if you don't pass the interview, so you still have a chance

On 2018-02-08 at 10:57 AM, champ2685 said:

They say 4-6 weeks to notify you, I’d consider no news as good news. I know someone who didnt pass and was notifed within a week. I think there is slmo standard time, it’s probably based on individual interviewers and their schedule so continue to be hopeful