TTC Application Process

ericgu22

actually it is 23.59 according to the TTC website. They won't paid your meal break as well during training.

Wiil confirm its $23.59 for 6 hours but once you start driving with a divisional trainer you get paid for whatever hours you work. Around day 22 I believe.

andyman, how is mount dennis division going so far for you?

In what other division can you get weekends off after only 6 months? Not many I suspect. But possible at Mount Dennis, on spare board though. Doubt it will be available in the summertime though.......

I start my training on Monday. It was originally scheduled to start at 06:45 am but now it starts at 3:45 pm and goes until midnight. I wonder if they are trying to squeeze in more training sessions because of the massive hiring drive or if this is usual.

Thats weird. The only night driving I did during training was with a divisional trainer at the end.

Almost every Dundas 505 streetcar that I ride on is plastered with several notices, inside and out, prominently promoting "POP - TTC's Proof of Payment Fare System", and clearly encouraging people to "Board via rear doors with valid pass or transfer". I regularly ride the Dundas streetcar, and am extremely shocked at those streetcar drivers who yell loudly and rudely at passengers who do so (i.e. board via the rear doors with either a valid pass or a transfer).

As a resident, my understanding is that (in practice) this system is limited exclusively to the Queen Street line. However, nowhere do the TTC's own official notices on the non-Queen Street streetcars say that this fare system is limited to that one streetcar line only. To the contrary, they give every indication that it applies across all TTC streetcar lines.

So why is this system falsely advertised on streetcars as being TTC-wide, applying on all streetcar lines, when in fact it only applies on one line? Some drivers on the Dundas line are extremely tyrannical and obnoxious when passengers enter by the rear doors, even to the point of refusing to continue on the route until such passengers exit again by the rear doors from a crowded streetcar and re-enter by the front doors, holding up all passengers in the process.

Many other cities do operate their transit on a system-wide honour system, and visitors from those cities, who read the TTC notices promising them such a system, and then rely on it, should not have to be yelled at and embarrassed in front of other passengers. The Dundas streetcars are getting more and more crowded every day, until no more passengers can be accommodated via the front doors, while room inevitably remains at the back, which can be accessed via the rear doors. Why indeed should this POP system not be officially applied on a system-wide basis, as the TTC's own public notices suggest that it already is? Perhaps some brave soul, who is impolitely harassed by a streetcar driver in this fashion, will one day make a test case out of such an occurrence. The driver who yells "It applies only to Queen Street" should be challenged on the spot, when the sticker right behind him (or her) fails to make any distinction whatever, and clearly suggests that it is system-wide.

The TTC has two options - make its "Proof-of-Payment Fare System" system-wide, in keeping with its advertising, or add the restriction of "Queen Street only" to every single sticker on its entire fleet of streetcars.