TTC Application Process

I was told Mount Pleasant is bad as well. Watch out for the slope at Bayview and Eglinton. It doesn't look too steep but your bus will slide if you are not careful. The pole at that intersection can take out the mirror in a minute. I find spareboard more helpful than vacation board. The only good thing about the vacation board is that you can get up to 6 consecutive days off.

But atleast with vacation board you know what you are doing in advance. Being on spare board report sucks, sometimes minutes before your release time they send you out.......

I am now going to quit my current job of many years to begin training as a transit operator on Feb. 11. I've looked up 'the 7 step air brake test' as suggested earlier by leylandvictory2. Any other suggestions from experienced guys on how to better prep for training?

Read the MTO Air Brake Handbook.

Make sure that your are sure you can pass the MTO vision test, they will test your eyes on the first day training. If you fail and require glasses they will terminate your training and reschedule your training at a later date.

Make sure that your are sure you can pass the MTO vision test, they will test your eyes on the first day training. If you fail and require glasses they will terminate your training and reschedule your training at a later date.

The MTO Air Brake Handbook covers only 6 steps. The 7th step is the interdoor lock brake test. You will learn that in training.

What if you already where glasses or contacts? Will they make you remove them?

What if you already where glasses or contacts? Will they make you remove them?

If you need them to see and they help your vision why would they make you remove them? If they are prescription, that's something they would want and need to know.

Thanks!

Did documentation on Monday and just got posted at Wilson. Is this one of the junior divisions?

Average I guess. Malvern and Queensway are the most senior bus divisions. Mt Dennis is the most junior. But when you're new it doesn't matter, you'll still be getting the same scraps, the difference is that after about 2 years at Malvern or Queensway you'll still have similar choice.

I've been assigned to Malvern division, along with a number of those in my group. I always thought this was the hardest division to get into so I'm glad to have gotten in.

At the same time however, I'm worried about being at the bottom of the seniority barrel. Am I relegated to night service only or is there a slight possibility I'll be able to get those gruelling 12-13 hour split shifts? :(

When mentioning to people I've been assigned to Malvern, I keep getting these "you're going to die stares". Is it really THAT bad of an area to work in?

You're quite lucky. Ill come say Hello tomorrow morning @ the Divison. There's two more 7 days ahead of me and my training partner. So that being said - us 4 will be ahead of you, then the 800 or so other OP's for the Seniority list. But don't fret - there will be two new trainee's @ Malvern every week. 10 more to come under you.

I've been assigned to Malvern division, along with a number of those in my group. I always thought this was the hardest division to get into so I'm glad to have gotten in.

At the same time however, I'm worried about being at the bottom of the seniority barrel. Am I relegated to night service only or is there a slight possibility I'll be able to get those gruelling 12-13 hour split shifts? :(

When mentioning to people I've been assigned to Malvern, I keep getting these "you're going to die stares". Is it really THAT bad of an area to work in?

Everybody has to start somewhere. When I first started, I had to work late relief shifts. My classmates had to drive night buses. It is a blessing to drive late at night when you are new as you don't have to deal with a lot of traffic especially pm rush hour. What you need to know is all the short turns on that route. On my first couple of weeks, I got turn at least twice each shift.

I have driven Morningside on a numerous occasions, as long as you leave the passengers alone, you will be fine.

Great! That means I'll most likely be relegated to rush hour split shifts, which I dont mind. :D

I'm so happy to have gotten Malvern.

-Close to home (literally 15 minutes away and reachable by transit)

-All the routes look SUPER easy to learn compared to other divisions, most are straight lines on arterial roads.

-Almost all of the routes are in the suburbs.

I feel bad for others in my group though. A person from Ajax in the east got assigned at Wilson. Someone who lived closer to Malvern than me got assigned to Wilson.

Mount Dennis truly looks like the worst division out of all 6 choices. Just looking at all the routes they operate makes me so thankful.

Great! That means I'll most likely be relegated to rush hour split shifts, which I dont mind. :D

-All the routes look SUPER easy to learn compared to other divisions, most are straight lines on arterial roads.

I feel bad for others in my group though. A person from Ajax in the east got assigned at Wilson. Someone who lived closer to Malvern than me got assigned to Wilson.

Mount Dennis truly looks like the worst division out of all 6 choices. Just looking at all the routes they operate makes me so thankful.

You can always ask for a transfer.

You should be lucky, Queensway or Malvern are the two most senior garages. You got a chance to drive their Orion V and none of that cheesy Hybrid!

Mount Dennis is one of the worst, all Hybrids and there are some of the worst routes to deal with, not just driving, it's the clientele your going to deal with!

However, surviving on the training is the most important, so I wish you good luck! Have a smile and a ring on top of your head to be a good boy!

If I were you, I rather work in afternoons, none of this morning rush hour I need to get up so early! However, everyone has a choice!

I would just be thankful I got a good job, a career.

You should be lucky, Queensway or Malvern are the two most senior garages. You got a chance to drive their Orion V and none of that cheesy Hybrid!

Mount Dennis is one of the worst, all Hybrids and there are some of the worst routes to deal with, not just driving, it's the clientele your going to deal with!

However, surviving on the training is the most important, so I wish you good luck! Have a smile and a ring on top of your head to be a good boy!

If I were you, I rather work in afternoons, none of this morning rush hour I need to get up so early! However, everyone has a choice!

You forgot Malvern have the NG hybrid. I have driven it several times. One thing I hate about them is that you can't down shift gear which is really useful when there is snow! It may suck to wake up early in the morning like 4 a.m. I find morning rush hour easier to deal with. I hardly get short turn during the a.m. rush.

Great! That means I'll most likely be relegated to rush hour split shifts, which I dont mind. :D I'm so happy to have gotten Malvern. -Close to home (literally 15 minutes away and reachable by transit) -All the routes look SUPER easy to learn compared to other divisions, most are straight lines on arterial roads. -Almost all of the routes are in the suburbs. I feel bad for others in my group though. A person from Ajax in the east got assigned at Wilson. Someone who lived closer to Malvern than me got assigned to Wilson. Mount Dennis truly looks like the worst division out of all 6 choices. Just looking at all the routes they operate makes me so thankful.

True Mount Dennis has some of the worst routes but the possibilty to move up very fast there is the best of all the divisions. It is possible to get weekends off in under 4 years....maybe even 3! Queensway and Malvern you are looking 10-15 years at the earliest before you see weekends. If you can drive Mount Dennis routes you can drive anywhere, I doubt some of the Queensway and Malvern operators could handle it.

I pretty much disagree with the entire premise of the statement above. Do you work at Malvern Division to be capable of saying 10-15 years before weekends? Not likely. Secondly while some routes are narrower than others or have more poles, etc, does not mean any other Operator couldn't handle it based solely on their home division. That's like saying subway operators couldn't handle streetcar routes. I don't like to limit myself or others based on perception or heresay.