Jump to content
ericgu22

TTC Application Process

Recommended Posts

On 12/30/2018 at 12:33 AM, Yo_Yo said:

Routes are tough, lots of tight turns, but if you can get through training at Mt.Dennis then you can work any division, you will learn how to drive really fast or you will fail.

Forget driving fast. Drive safe. Let CIS do their job and fix you if you're behind. -10 or -100, who cares? Just drive safe. You will not fail by being safe. You will fail by trying to be fast over driving safely. 

On 12/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, Yo_Yo said:

 

How the hell did she pass training?? Lol

She passed same way you did. Her problem was she got overconfident. Instead of stopping and calling for help she thought she could fix it herself. If you're not sure about something, you stop the bus and you call and get help. If other operators at the station and passengers on the bus are telling you to stop, you stop. Assess the situation and call for help if needed. You will not get in trouble for making a mistake and calling for help. You will get in trouble for trying to fix the mistake yourself and smashing the bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I wouldn't do a cleaner job. Is there a list of summer jobs somewhere on their website? (sorry, to lazy to look)

As I said before, cleaner positions are the easiest to get in.  Even Cleaner positions are highly competitive.  Once you get your foot in the door, you can move around next summer comes around.

Oh yea, lazy people please don't apply.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

As I said before, cleaner positions are the easiest to get in.  Even Cleaner positions are highly competitive.  Once you get your foot in the door, you can move around next summer comes around.

Oh yea, lazy people please don't apply.  

Exactly!! And there absolutely nothing wrong with a cleaner job. 🙄

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

As I said before, cleaner positions are the easiest to get in.  Even Cleaner positions are highly competitive.  Once you get your foot in the door, you can move around next summer comes around.

Oh yea, lazy people please don't apply.  

He’s already said he’s too good. Academia has already warped his perception.

I see great things in his future....even wants preliminary information spoonfed to him.

Better some other kid with actual drive and merit get in than a placeholder using up oxygen.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

He’s already said he’s too good. Academia has already warped his perception.

I see great things in his future....even wants preliminary information spoonfed to him.

Better some other kid with actual drive and merit get in than a placeholder using up oxygen.

 

 

Preliminary information is normally spoonfed to you. How are you going to use a spoon unless someone tells you what it is and how to use it? If i'm going to set my summer job stadards as low as that, I might as well work at Tims. Might even get a better salary. 

 Don't reply and say something like "you don't know what I went through to get here, so lay off", because I know you will.

Let's get back on topic before an Admin has to step in. 

 

I'm saying because he has prior knowledge of the TTC than I do, he could think of something. For your info, I checked the TTC website for any summer job listing, and when I clicked on both hyperlinks (no requirements and requirements) a tab came up saying the job was no longer listed. That's when I asked him that. I didn't bother mentioning you, because you NEVER reply to mentions. 

Don't get mad at me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

because you NEVER reply to mentions. 

So glad you noticed.

Back to the status quo then.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

So glad you noticed.

Back to the status quo then.

Yeah, I guess so. Just for Info, have you EVER worked at Duncan shops?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Orion VI said:

I wouldn't do a cleaner job. Is there a list of summer jobs somewhere on their website? (sorry, to lazy to look)

hi,

is the cleaning job listed as cleaning or was it given a different title on the website? please advise.

thank you,

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Orion VI said:

I wouldn't do a cleaner job. Is there a list of summer jobs somewhere on their website? (sorry, to lazy to look)

 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, Someguy3071 said:

Exactly!! And there absolutely nothing wrong with a cleaner job. 🙄

hi,

is the cleaning job listed as cleaning or was it given a different title on the website? please advise.

thank you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, Ari said:

Hi there I’ll be starting my training January 7 and will be stationed at mount Dennis.how did you find that location? 

Hey I live in Scarborough and just received my training start date for Jan 7th for mount dennis division as well. I was just wondering how you got through training and how is mount Dennis? 

After talking to fellow new operators your training experience depends on the instructor. Some are great and some are...well, I'll leave it at that.

But they all want you to do well, pass and ultimately become great operators.

Focus and pay attention and do all the homework. 25 days is not a lot. They're stuffing 10lbs of shit into a 5lb bag. As others have said, if you have questions just ask. You'll never know if you don't.

 

Comparing my experience, so far, with a friend at Malvern I would say Mt. Dennis is super friendly. I've approached operators with 29 years of experience to 1 month's experience and they're all willing to help and answer your questions. 

Routes are tough because of tight turns, downtown routes, lots of things you can hit your mirrors/bus on, etc.

After driving most of them it's not as bad as they first seem. I can only imagine how easy it would be to drive routes in Scarborough.

And like others have said, call CIS as soon as you know you've screwed up something. You make it 10000000x worse if you try to hide it or fix it yourself.

I'm not joking when I say I messed up every new route I did the first 2 weeks. But I always stopped, secured the bus and contacted CIS. They expect it.

Good luck and welcome to the team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oatmeal said:

Is it normal to have the aptitude test and interview on the same day?

Count yourself lucky...seems like you're getting fast tracked.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simpleform said:

Count yourself lucky...seems like you're getting fast tracked.

What is the documentation stage? I think documentation is included too. I have to bring my diploma, abstract, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simpleform said:

After talking to fellow new operators your training experience depends on the instructor. Some are great and some are...well, I'll leave it at that.

But they all want you to do well, pass and ultimately become great operators.

Focus and pay attention and do all the homework. 25 days is not a lot. They're stuffing 10lbs of shit into a 5lb bag. As others have said, if you have questions just ask. You'll never know if you don't.

 

Comparing my experience, so far, with a friend at Malvern I would say Mt. Dennis is super friendly. I've approached operators with 29 years of experience to 1 month's experience and they're all willing to help and answer your questions. 

Routes are tough because of tight turns, downtown routes, lots of things you can hit your mirrors/bus on, etc.

After driving most of them it's not as bad as they first seem. I can only imagine how easy it would be to drive routes in Scarborough.

And like others have said, call CIS as soon as you know you've screwed up something. You make it 10000000x worse if you try to hide it or fix it yourself.

I'm not joking when I say I messed up every new route I did the first 2 weeks. But I always stopped, secured the bus and contacted CIS. They expect it.

Good luck and welcome to the team.

I'm at Mt.Dennis as well, if you can get through our routes you can drive anywhere.  My advice with training is take it one day at a time, you will be overwhelmed, do your homework and if you have a bad day (mounting curbs, etc.)don't be discouraged and most importantly listen to your instructor. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, simpleform said:

Comparing my experience, so far, with a friend at Malvern I would say Mt. Dennis is super friendly. I've approached operators with 29 years of experience to 1 month's experience and they're all willing to help and answer your questions. 

 

I don't know what your friend said about Malvern but there are many nice and helpful operators there and at every other division. Sometimes you just need to take initiative and ask for help. Most operators will be happy to help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for current ops of the TTC, I currently work for Brampton but as everyone knows the housing market in this area is insanely pricey, and insurance is a joke so we are looking at buying a house in the Scarborough/Ajax area in the near future. That being said if I were to apply at the ttc and get in what are the odds of getting a garage near my residence within reasonable needs by transit, do I have a better chance at being put in bus for a mode since I already have my BZ? Any advice would be great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it depends on where you are needed.  I live closer to Malvern but was assigned to Eglinton.  A guy lives in the Flemingdon area but was assigned to Wilson.  you can ask for a transfer later on.  The hardest thing is to get your foot into the door.  

Having a BZ is an asset but you are still required to pass the road test as well as other tests set out by the TTC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Question for current ops of the TTC, I currently work for Brampton but as everyone knows the housing market in this area is insanely pricey, and insurance is a joke so we are looking at buying a house in the Scarborough/Ajax area in the near future. That being said if I were to apply at the ttc and get in what are the odds of getting a garage near my residence within reasonable needs by transit, do I have a better chance at being put in bus for a mode since I already have my BZ? Any advice would be great! 

Remember if you don't get a division you prefer, stick it out for 10 months and you can transfer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, havox said:

Remember if you don't get a division you prefer, stick it out for 10 months and you can transfer 

Ah so it’s only 10 months, I had heard it was 2 years so 10 months really isn’t that bad. The only downside is loss of seniority but that’s part of life. Thanks for the replies @leylandvictory2 And @havox

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My training will start from 28 jan. They said “Please review the ‘Reporting Instructions’ sheet that was provided to you, so you are familiar with what to expect in terms of dress code and what to take with you on your first day.”

where will I find reporting instruction sheet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Help please! Does anyone know if the legal working age is the same in Ontario as Canada? This job listing says " Eligible to work in Canada". Does that mean the same thing as Eligible to work in Ontario? 

JOB LISTING: 

ob Title: Summer Student Program 

JOB INFORMATION
Requisition ID: 276 
Salary Information:  $15.94/hr  -  $21.12/hr
Employment Type:  Summer Student Program
Weekly Hours:  35 - 40 Off Days:  Various   Shift:  Various
Posted On:  December 12, 2018
Last Day to Apply:  January 13, 2019

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America's third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC's vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC's recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing "a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy."

 

The Toronto Transit Commission is currently accepting Summer Student applications for Summer 2019 -  May 5, 2019 to August 31, 2019.  We offer a wide range of entry level and specialty positions in various locations throughout the City of Toronto.  Most positions involve working in a unionized environment. Some positions may involve working outdoors, while others may require specific licenses, skillsets and/or work experience.

 

The TTC operates 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.  Therefore, students must be flexible and willing to work shift work, as 80% of the positions available involve working various shifts (morning, afternoon, nights), which may include working weekends and holidays.

 

Eligibility

 

To be considered for summer student employment, you must be:

  • Eligible to work in Canada,
  • A full-time student, enrolled in full-time studies in the current Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 academic terms/year in either Grade 12 or a post-secondary institution; and
  • Returning to full-time studies in the Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 academic terms/year.

 

Please note - You will be asked to provide proof that you meet these requirements prior to attending an interview.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you eligible to work in Canada? Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident? If not do you have permission to work? Are you enrolled in full time grade 12 or post secondary? 

This stuff is very self explanatory. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Are you eligible to work in Canada? Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident? If not do you have permission to work? Are you enrolled in full time grade 12 or post secondary? 

This stuff is very self explanatory. 

All I asked was the age. I wasn't talking about this job in particular, but as an example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×