ericgu22

TTC Application Process

8,785 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mark97 said:

ahh man I was just going to ask you about it if you don't mind. How is the training like is it a lot of in class stuff, and is it hard to learn the information regarding the train ? 

Yea so glad to get it started I hope your call is fairly soon!! Wish you nothing but the best of luck on whatever mode of transportation you get !!! 

Yes a lot of in-class material but as day 10 approaches it starts becoming more on the line material. I would say it is difficult but the program is taught at college level. The level of difficulty is because you are learning something completely new so everything may seem overwhelming. 

1 person likes this

In documentation we were recommended to bring a carry on luggage type thing to carry our books.  Is that really required?  I only have a fairly large sized carry on (I think he was referring to a half sized one).  

Otherwise I have a regular sized MEC backpack and a small gym bag..  are we carrying this large binder back and forth to class each day?

The binder is about 6" thick along with other course materials. So yes, bring a wheeled carry-on luggage.

1 hour ago, slowtyper said:

In documentation we were recommended to bring a carry on luggage type thing to carry our books.  Is that really required?  I only have a fairly large sized carry on (I think he was referring to a half sized one).  

Otherwise I have a regular sized MEC backpack and a small gym bag..  are we carrying this large binder back and forth to class each day?

Bring a big bag. When I was training for streetcars they added all the LFLRV stuff and the binder is just huge. But it's not just the binder. You'll get a workbook for the homework plus your DPR book plus a whole bunch of disablement books, health and safety book, etc. I brought a large gym bag and I could barely fit all the stuff in there. I would also suggest to bring lunch from home, get a lunch bag and pack it with an ice pack. Bring snacks too. When you're operating during training you may not have time to grab lunch from outside. Good luck guys!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tips!  Do you carry all of that to training each day?  

I've always been curious how many TTC drivers take the TTC, or live in Toronto?  Seems like a lot I meet don't live here.

19 hours ago, slowtyper said:

Thanks for the tips!  Do you carry all of that to training each day?  

I've always been curious how many TTC drivers take the TTC, or live in Toronto?  Seems like a lot I meet don't live here.

I live in Toronto and yes I take TTC to downtown and whenever I start at at a station and finishes at the garage.

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I live in Toronto and yes I take TTC to downtown and whenever I start at at a station and finishes at the garage.

As an informal guess what percentage of drivers do you think live in Toronto and take the TTC regularly to get around?

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Quick question, so it says in the collective agreement that if for example your shift ended at a relief point, not back at the garage, it says the time it takes you to get from relief point to the garage to report counts towards your hours, is that the case when you take TTC from relief point to the garage too or only if you're driving?

Also it says there's extra 15 mins added to your time for reporting, and if you have split shifts then 30mins total?

And how is Delay time calculated, it says if you are running the bus back to the garage if you are over 10mins late due to traffic, it counts as 2x pay, how does it work when you are relieved on the street?

2 hours ago, slowtyper said:

As an informal guess what percentage of drivers do you think live in Toronto and take the TTC regularly to get around?

Not a lot.  

2 hours ago, a1brt said:

Quick question, so it says in the collective agreement that if for example your shift ended at a relief point, not back at the garage, it says the time it takes you to get from relief point to the garage to report counts towards your hours, is that the case when you take TTC from relief point to the garage too or only if you're driving?

Also it says there's extra 15 mins added to your time for reporting, and if you have split shifts then 30mins total?

And how is Delay time calculated, it says if you are running the bus back to the garage if you are over 10mins late due to traffic, it counts as 2x pay, how does it work when you are relieved on the street?

No clue I just look at total pay.

Late policy is more or less than for finishing at the garage and on the street. 

On 1/17/2017 at 7:48 PM, Peregrine154 said:

I was at the November 15, 2016 info session too. I've completed my interview and I'm waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed! 

Congratulations!! and good luck Peregrine154. When was your interview and I would really appreciate if you could share some insight about it. Mine is coming up next week. Any help would be appreciated.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, Ttoperator said:

Hi Everyone,

Just an update, i had my interview in the first week of Jan, 2017. They contacted 2 references out of 4 last week. I am little worried here, Do they contact all references or just 2 only  ??? How long does it take to know if you have passed the interview or not ???

Hey Ttoperator!!

Did you hear back from them since your interview. It seems as though you would be selected. Do let us know what came of it. Good Luck!!