TTC Application Process

ericgu22

I just applied to the TTC and received a reply in the mail after 1 week stating that they have received my application. What is the next step and how long it would take thank you.

what job did you apply for?

Usually during a job at the TTC, you apply and they keep your application for 6 months. If you are selected, they select you for an interview and then they will hire you if you are being successful. :)

How many references are they looking for and do they contact previous employers or just current? I heard that Toronto Police is doing the Background check or reference check for TTC, i'm I wrong??

what job did you apply for?

Usually during a job at the TTC, you apply and they keep your application for 6 months. If you are selected, they select you for an interview and then they will hire you if you are being successful. :)

• 2 weeks later...
How many references are they looking for and do they contact previous employers or just current? I heard that Toronto Police is doing the Background check or reference check for TTC, i'm I wrong??

in any typical job, any employeer ususally asks for 3 references. Toronto Police does the criminal check not the reference check. I am sure the TTC HR department does the reference check.

• 2 weeks later...

TTC has a 3rd party for criminal checks.

Unless it changed recently, they don't. You get Toronto Police (or York, Peel, whatever) to perform the check, and they give you a letter on their letterhead to submit to TTC's HR department.

Signing my conditional offer on wednesday, not sure when the training is but there is one scheduled in october. I'll say the process was pretty fast a month and a half for the offer..

Congratulations for passing the interview! Training date is still a very long wait, it can be longer passing to next year!

Unless it changed recently, they don't. You get Toronto Police (or York, Peel, whatever) to perform the check, and they give you a letter on their letterhead to submit to TTC's HR department.

Sorry to say but with Rob Ford demanding a 10% cut in spending from all city departments don't be surprised if your hiring is put on hold.

Sorry to say but with Rob Ford demanding a 10% cut in spending from all city departments don't be surprised if your hiring is put on hold.

Definitely not surprised, they have one scheduled for october but they don't know the if it will continue. Time will tell thanks.

Definitely not surprised, they have one scheduled for october but they don't know the if it will continue. Time will tell thanks.
Too early to tell really. Ridership continues to increase faster than predicted, so for the time being, there is still additional service being added. More service was added yesterday (above and beyond restoring the annual summer service decrease), and I've heard a bit more service is scheduled to be added in October. Hard to see how there could really be large-scale cuts. A 25-cent fare increase can more than cover a 10% decrease in the city subsidy.

Too early to tell really. Ridership continues to increase faster than predicted, so for the time being, there is still additional service being added. More service was added yesterday (above and beyond restoring the annual summer service decrease), and I've heard a bit more service is scheduled to be added in October. Hard to see how there could really be large-scale cuts. A 25-cent fare increase can more than cover a 10% decrease in the city subsidy.

Perhaps, but Ford won't allow a fare increase, he's already shot down suggestion of a fare increase a couple of months ago, can't see him flip-flopping on that now. Besides, he equates fare increase with tax increase go figure. No he wants to bleed TTC dry without allowing it sustain itself through revenue increases. That way when it comes time to privatize it to his millionaire buddies they can pick it for peanuts. Remember it's all about efficiencies and respect for the taxpayer. :P

Perhaps, but Ford won't allow a fare increase, he's already shot down suggestion of a fare increase a couple of months ago, can't see him flip-flopping on that now. Besides, he equates fare increase with tax increase go figure. No he wants to bleed TTC dry without allowing it sustain itself through revenue increases. That way when it comes time to privatize it to his millionaire buddies they can pick it for peanuts. Remember it's all about efficiencies and respect for the taxpayer. :P
Way too early though ... the TTC Chair and other commissioners have commented that they don't want to see whole scale service cuts. If TTC votes for fare increase, wouldn't it need 2/3 council majority to overrule? And even if not, are there 21 other councillors who want to head into next election on the back of absolutely massive service cuts?

I wouldn't worry too much yet ... it's all hot air. Even Miller and Giambrone made noise about huge cuts and even closing the Sheppard subway ... it was all hot air ...

• 4 weeks later...
Way too early though ... the TTC Chair and other commissioners have commented that they don't want to see whole scale service cuts. If TTC votes for fare increase, wouldn't it need 2/3 council majority to overrule? And even if not, are there 21 other councillors who want to head into next election on the back of absolutely massive service cuts?

I wouldn't worry too much yet ... it's all hot air. Even Miller and Giambrone made noise about huge cuts and even closing the Sheppard subway ... it was all hot air ...

So the TTC is cutting employees, why are they proceeding with the application fast? My reference was just called few days ago

They're also expect a large number of retirements due to a recent pension update.

Don't bet on it. Yes, they finally got the update, (after yeeeeeeears) but for many it's still not enough to make them want to go, and who can blame them? especially when they can still get their early AM 1 piece specials. And the bitching continues. :blink:

• Like 1

Don't bet on it. Yes, they finally got the update, (after yeeeeeeears) but for many it's still not enough to make them want to go, and who can blame them? especially when they can still get their early AM 1 piece specials. And the bitching continues. :blink:

Well, for the operator side anyways.

So the TTC is cutting employees, why are they proceeding with the application fast? My reference was just called few days ago
Good question, since the time of my last post, the TTC has announced huge service cuts for January - would take about 5% of buses out of service at rush-hour by my count. At the same time, they increased service in September, and are increasing it a little in a week as well.

What's the average turnover for TTC in a year? It is possible that anyone who was planning on retiring in the next 6 months may simply take up this offer, and there's going to be a sudden shortage of drivers, even with the service cut backs?

Is it possible that they are making sure that they have enough drivers in case council doesn't approve the TTC budget with the service cuts ... it would only take a simple amendment in City Council to increase fares by an extra nickel to generate $15-million and avoid the $14-million saved by the January cut-backs.

How long does the police reference check take, its been 4 weeks and still nothing in the mail. They say once I receive it to give them a call....

Uh oh...maybe they found something......haha joking. Maybe check with the station you had it done at.