TTC Application Process

ericgu22

I finally got my reference check form but I'm wondering if I should hold off on filling it out? Looks like everyone is getting streetcar. I really want to be a bus driver...should I wait until they start putting people in bus training or it is just a random thing?

52 minutes ago, raptorz416 said:

I finally got my reference check form but I'm wondering if I should hold off on filling it out? Looks like everyone is getting streetcar. I really want to be a bus driver...should I wait until they start putting people in bus training or it is just a random thing?

It's random. You are placed where needed and by delaying your application, you will be missing out on seniority.

Good luck

On 6/16/2022 at 4:24 PM, Dominap said:

r u done on ur medical?

hey,dude, im new here, and i have a couple of questions for u, cause it seems like we have a similar time

1, what is ISN , i just know the recruiter from Cadre

2, my time line,  6.10 create a ttc account

6.11 submit application

6.17 confirmation of phone interview

6.20. interview and got a conditional offer

6.21. accept the offer at 1:00am, got email afternoon about required pre-employment Documentation, education proof, driver's abstract, reference check and so on.

3,I submitted full vaccine proof then got the latest email,i guess so, 

yes , i did not do the wonderlic test,just got interview , am I lucky ? i did wonderlick test 5 or 6 years ago, but when i tried to log in using the old 1, it did not exist,so i created a new account on ttc website. i dont know what the order, like wonderlic test 1st, then interview,then medical check and police check, or these checks go after document ?

right now , i have all the Documentation except employment letter, my current company told me, U can get it after 2 business days from HR, the questions is 

the recruiter always say  in the email " please submit documents within the next three business days "   however in the offer letter, its 3 months not 3 business days

and in the offer letter, i did not see the shadowing assignment, or maybe i dont which one is.

I thank you all of you who left messages/infos, it helped me a lot

p.s.  the interview guy said, right now a lot of operator applications, for me probably someday on 2023, he said  nobody knows when.

i know  this job has a long process, and i gave it up 5 years ago, because i know im bad at messy colors.  and i just knew couple of days ago, i can do others but subway and LRT, thats why Im here now. communicate my future colleagues ,yeah hope so.

in the future ,if everybody succeeds to become an operator, i heard , for the first  5 years, all split/night shift,life will be struggle.

sorry my english is not very strong, but i typed alot, hope u guys understand what im talking about, thank u for ur time. just do not forget my question, thx

On 6/16/2022 at 4:24 PM, Dominap said:

r u done on ur medical?

Update :

received a call from TTC today, medical test next Monday, at eglinton bloor somewhere,waiting for the email about the details,and asked me to submit document soon,since Im still waiting for my employment letter for the reference

On 6/20/2022 at 8:51 PM, TransitMotorcoach said:

Just received an email for a training date. July 4th, Streetcar,  Leslie Division.

I am somewhat nervous now haha. After more than 2 years of driving a bus at YRT,  operating a streetcar will take a lot to get used to and learn the handling of it and the infrastructure (track and overhead) as well. Hopefully the TTC can provide dual mode training for the bus mode as well, so I can operate the shuttle buses when the streetcars are replaced by buses, in addition to not wanting my bus driving skills to become rusty due to prolonged inactivity. 

how many days or weeks for training?

On 6/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, raptorz416 said:

I’ll add to what has been said, just get in whatever mode is offered and eventually move around. I know someone who applied and were offered Subway and turned it down the first time, second time they were offered para and we’re told take it or we move on to next candidate and you’re done. It may not be your ideal choice but getting in is what matters 

• Like 1

The last time I spoke to my recruiter at the beginning of the month this month, she told me that there were 30 ppl ahead of me to receive a training date. Does anyone know approximately how long that will take?  

thanks ! 

On 6/21/2022 at 8:21 AM, Rekognize said:

It's random. You are placed where needed and by delaying your application, you will be missing out on seniority.

Good luck

I agree with this - don't give up seniority - it is literally the most important thing you'll have in a Union job.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:28 AM, raptorz416 said:

If you get a job offer, you take it - there's a chance that if you delay your application process, your application could be scraped altogether.

Going by your previous posts, sounds like you really want this job as quickly as possible - if they're giving you a chance to put get your foot in the door, it would be in your best interest and jump.

If you do get streetcar, its not permanent, its temporary and as you build your seniority, you'll be able to move around.  We've all done work we didn't like when we first start - it comes with the package. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, raptorz416 said:

So it takes 6 months for ISN to complete your background check?? Jesus they really screwed me up by not sending me the reference consent...looks like I'll be starting next year at this rate!

My entire process took 9 months from application submission to training start date. Quite a long one, even with me already being an experienced bus operator.  The longest hiring process I ever had in my life.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:20 PM, TransitMotorcoach said:

Not sure how long it would take if also considering streetcar and subway. Right now there are 3 training groups for bus that I am aware of. I am in the 2nd group of the 3. Day 5 coming up tomorrow.

good luck man.How is it? I'm praying I don't get subway the thought but being in a dark tunnel for two years breathing in toxic fumes doesn't sound appealing at all 

4 hours ago, raptorz416 said:

good luck man.How is it? I'm praying I don't get subway the thought but being in a dark tunnel for two years breathing in toxic fumes doesn't sound appealing at all 

So far it is very intense. Definitely a lot of info coming at us at once, and very structured as well. Kind of like army boot camp if you really think about it.  A lot of studying and homework assignments too. 

On 6/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, raptorz416 said:

I got the offer for maintenance job at TTC. I went to medical last week and they found my heart rate a bit higher than normal around 108 bpm. They said you have to see your family doctor and send a doctor’s note about your health to Telus health. I do not have any previous heart rate related history, I also checked with my family doctor this week and the heart rate is normal. I did ECG and blood test too( results yet to come, ECG is normal though) Can some one relate this issue and let me know how it affect with the whole medical approval process. The medical is for the license upgrade.