TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Anyone here plan on doing something within the TTC asides from Transit Operator eventually? I plan to do a part time course for HR that'll take about 3 ish years to complete since I'd have a limited amount of time of do it while I do this transit operator position. But once complete I'd begin looking into the HR side of TTC , if it is not possible within TTC then HR with the City of Toronto or any other big company. I can't see myself driving and having a not so great schedule for a long period, I have yet to start training but this is my plan, curious to see if anyone else has a different route in mind in the future?

Hello all, 

I stumbled upon this forum recently and have found it incredibly helpful and informative, so I was hoping I could get some advice from you all. 

I applied for the Escalator Mechanic In Training position last year as an external candidate and made it all the way to the final in-person interview, which I thought went well, but for whatever reason my references were not contacted. The job was reposted at the end of January and I applied again, but haven't heard back. 

This position at the TTC is my ultimate goal and I will certainly keep trying, but in order to increase my chances, would you recommend I apply to other apprentice/trainee positions in the meantime and then try to reapply as an internal candidate? How difficult is it to change positions within the company? Is there a minimum wait time before I would be allowed to do so? 

For some background, I have some previous schooling in the HVAC trade and I'm currently a Field Service Technician at an environmental safety company. 

Any insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Hello Everyone,

Anyone knows how long it takes for Toronto Police Vulnerable Sector Check. As I advised to do Fingerprints and I already done that 1 month ago but still waiting for the result. Any idea how long it takes. 
Thanks in Advance 

15 hours ago, Jasvir said:

Hello Everyone,

Anyone knows how long it takes for Toronto Police Vulnerable Sector Check. As I advised to do Fingerprints and I already done that 1 month ago but still waiting for the result. Any idea how long it takes. 
Thanks in Advance 

It may take another month but that’s my guess. If you don’t receive a call in the next 1-3 months call them and ask about your issue.

15 hours ago, Punisher85 said:

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have knowledge about the test at the end of the training how hard it is and the passing percentenge?

thanks. 

@leylandvictory2 you know the answer to this?

On 3/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, Punisher85 said:

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have knowledge about the test at the end of the training how hard it is and the passing percentenge?

thanks. 

There are 3 written tests: MTO Z endorsement, MTO C Class, TTC test.

All fairly easy to be honest. The trainers prepare you well for that. I had 8 people in my group no one failed those. 

There are 2 driving test, MTO C Class and the final TTC driving test where you drive a route.

2 failed MTO driving test, no one failed TTC test but also I was removed prior driving test due to inability to listen to instructors and arguing with them.  

Like all post in the past say, listen to the instructors with open mind and don’t argue with them and lose the ego, you’ll be fine. 

They all want you to do well, but don’t think because it costs a lot of money to train you that they won’t let you go. 

1 hour ago, Jayhyrule said:

All fairly easy to be honest. The trainers prepare you well for that. I had 8 people in my group no one failed those. 

There are 2 driving test, MTO C Class and the final TTC driving test where you drive a route.

2 failed MTO driving test, no one failed TTC test but also I was removed prior driving test due to inability to listen to instructors and arguing with them.  

Like all post in the past say, listen to the instructors with open mind and don’t argue with them and lose the ego, you’ll be fine. 

They all want you to do well, but don’t think because it costs a lot of money to train you that they won’t let you go. 

Do u know if I have a high blood pressure makes it difficult to clear the TTC medicals ?

I got my medical booked for the end of this month and I'm kind of worried because I had an ACL knee surgery done in 2019. Can this disqualify me?

2 hours ago, torontosam said:

Do u know if I have a high blood pressure makes it difficult to clear the TTC medicals ?

How high is it? If it's above 140/90 and your BMI is high, I've been told that they make you do sleep test automatically so that can add some time.

8 hours ago, torontosam said:

You think you have high blood pressure now?  Wait till ya actually start driving transit ?

All kidding aside, no idea what TTC's hiring requirements are - but out of my experience, most are pretty lax, even for the medical.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, raptorz416 said:

I got my medical booked for the end of this month and I'm kind of worried because I had an ACL knee surgery done in 2019. Can this disqualify me?

How high is it? If it's above 140/90 and your BMI is high, I've been told that they make you do sleep test automatically so that can add some time.

Its around 150/90

42 minutes ago, torontosam said:

Its around 150/90

One of my friends got hired last year and his bp was high, similar to yours, and he was chubby and had a chubby neck so they made him do a sleep apnea test. That added a few months. Not sure about the exact numbers but those three would trigger the test I think.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jayhyrule said:

Thanks for the reply. 

8 hours ago, Gluttonous mofo said:

Last year lol

Do you know if they contact you by surname or application order?

i got my training date for 4 april.they contact you at name.i was wondering if there is parking at training site

3 hours ago, Rdawwg said:

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting just over 2 months for a medical appt. Do you think I should hang tight and keep waiting or call in for a status of my application?

If so who do I call for a status?

thanks in advance!

I would email your recruiter. I got my medical appt a week or two after I submitted my job shadowing paper.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Rdawwg said:

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting just over 2 months for a medical appt. Do you think I should hang tight and keep waiting or call in for a status of my application?

If so who do I call for a status?

thanks in advance!

Like the post above said, email your recruiter. 
They’re very helpful and will reply to you just to put you at ease. Also they’re probably very busy as they’re hiring lots of people this year so they may just be behind or have forgotten. IMO 2 months is too long to wait for an appointment.