TTC Application Process

ericgu22

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Is there a possibility you can get LWOP (Leave Without Pay) with your current job ? Just explain the situation with your boss. Maybe they can suspend you, hire a temp, and if things don't pan out with TTC, they could bring you back ?  I really hope you pass and get on with TTC, but it would not be wise to burn your bridges before taking that 'leap of faith'.

This is something that I was thinking of. However I've literally only been working here for 2 months. It'd be pretty awkward asking for that and I'm sure they'd be dissapointed. At the very least, I will be seen as somebody who isn't loyal. 

Its a shame. I never knew applying for TTC would be so hard. It's a shame that both jobs has to come and once. Also unfortunate that TTC Jams so much training into one month and expects you to pass or apply again in 2 years, leaving people with no options. 

On one hand I have a job that I like. On the other hand I can take a gamble with a rare opportunity with TTC. Shame how things have to end up! I usually over think things and consider myself a good driver but it may not be a risk in willing to take. 

Any ideas of where they're putting people? Perhaps Streetcar would be easier than bus

20 minutes ago, NoobieRider said:

Any ideas of where they're putting people? Perhaps Streetcar would be easier than bus

If that is your mentality than don't bother going at all. And street car training I hear is harder than bus. If you go into it thinking of failure than you're gonna fail. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoobieRider said:

This is something that I was thinking of. However I've literally only been working here for 2 months. It'd be pretty awkward asking for that and I'm sure they'd be dissapointed. At the very least, I will be seen as somebody who isn't loyal. 

Its a shame. I never knew applying for TTC would be so hard. It's a shame that both jobs has to come and once. Also unfortunate that TTC Jams so much training into one month and expects you to pass or apply again in 2 years, leaving people with no options. 

On one hand I have a job that I like. On the other hand I can take a gamble with a rare opportunity with TTC. Shame how things have to end up! I usually over think things and consider myself a good driver but it may not be a risk in willing to take. 

Just get hired then start to make a decision.  No point in over thinking so prematurely.  Your hours at ttc will be completely unpredictable in comparison to your current job. 

7 hours ago, NoobieRider said:

This is something that I was thinking of. However I've literally only been working here for 2 months. It'd be pretty awkward asking for that and I'm sure they'd be disappointed. At the very least, I will be seen as somebody who isn't loyal. 

If you have been a faithful, loyal, dedicated hardworking employee thus far I see no reason why they would view you as disloyal. Just have an upfront honest chat with your supervisor. If you are worth your salt, together I am sure a plan can be hatched whereby you can be rehired. Good employees are hard to come by and employers know this. Many companies have 'Employee Retention Seminars' for their management  and HR staff.  If good employees were a dime a dozen, such seminars would not exist.

Let's be blunt and honest here. 40-50k a year is peanuts especially if you're living in Toronto. When I started with TTC I made over 60k in the first year. Now I make much more then that. If money is your only motivation that's something to think about. Another thing to think about is long term prospects with your current job. How are the opportunities for promotion and advancements? How are the benefits? Do you get a pension?

If you think about it rationally it's a very easy decision to make. I had to make the same decision and I don't regret it one bit.

Go to the information session, do the tests and if you get an interview and a job offer then you got some serious thinking to do. 

My only regret is not getting a job with TTC sooner. 

12 hours ago, havox said:

12 hours ago, havox said:

If that is your mentality than don't bother going at all. And street car training I hear is harder than bus. If you go into it thinking of failure than you're gonna fail. 

Exactly right. Put the effort in and you won't fail training. Just let everyone know that you're not available for anything for a month and just concentrate and get it done.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, NoobieRider said:

chances are you will be placed in bus mode.  

On 3/21/2019 at 5:21 AM, NoobieRider said:

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. 

I'm currently 26 years old. I applied to the ttc for transit operator last December. I ended up getting a job in January as a sales rep delivering and selling food products. My job currently pays 40-50k depending on routes and seniority. 

Its a pretty good job, not physically brutal and I only work 4 set days. Anyways, I just got invited to an information session for TTC. I've always wanted to work with them but there's a couple of worries. I'd be making more with better benefits at TTC, however I'd have to quit my current job to go to training if I get hired. There's a potential for failing training as I heard up to 40 percent of trainees drop out. I absolutely do not want to end up quitting my current job and having this happen. This job is a good job, but TTC is better however I'd essentially be taking a gamble. 

I'd also be in the same boat if the TTC called me right now.  My plan was going to be to take a Leave of Absence so I could still return to my current job if things didn't pan out. There are several different types of LOA's in Ontario if you choose to take it so maybe read up on them.

6 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

If you can't commit to training 100% then this is probably not the job for you. I was in the same position and I quit my job and went into training with no back up of going back to my old job. just wait your 100% focused on passing and you don't get distracted with stuff. 

On the other hand, knowing you have something to fall back on will give you peace of mind so you can concentrate / commit 100 % to training.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

If you can't commit to training 100% then this is probably not the job for you. I was in the same position and I quit my job and went into training with no back up of going back to my old job. just wait your 100% focused on passing and you don't get distracted with stuff. 

Not everybody is in the same situation. I absolutely cannot lose a job, especially one that I'm already comfortable with for financial, personal and health reasons. I'd say that I'm a confident person. I consider myself to be an amazing, defensive driver IMO. I drive manual and I learned how to drive my work truck in 2 days (slightly shorter than a TTC bus). My hesitation has more to do with unfortunate circumstances and a potential hiccup. I try to always have a plan b. The way I see it... I can be an amazing driver who knows their stuff well and who gets overtaken by a bit of nerves and makes a failing mistake. The opposite can be said of somebody who has no business driving a bus or commercial vehicle. 

If anybody is able to answer that'd be great. What is the hardest part about driving a bus for brginners? Are there big blind spots? Do you have to navigate pylons during training? Why do most people who fail, fail? How hard is it to get to turning? With my current work truck I'm able to take right turns pretty well by watching my tail, right mirror and going a bit wider. Sometimes I occasionally have to use a bit of the (empty) lane near me. Is this allowed? How is it different? 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, NoobieRider said:

Not everybody is in the same situation. I absolutely cannot lose a job, especially one that I'm already comfortable with for financial, personal and health reasons. I'd say that I'm a confident person. I consider myself to be an amazing, defensive driver IMO. I drive manual and I learned how to drive my work truck in 2 days (slightly shorter than a TTC bus). My hesitation has more to do with unfortunate circumstances and a potential hiccup. I try to always have a plan b. The way I see it... I can be an amazing driver who knows their stuff well and who gets overtaken by a bit of nerves and makes a failing mistake. The opposite can be said of somebody who has no business driving a bus or commercial vehicle. 

If anybody is able to answer that'd be great. What is the hardest part about driving a bus for brginners? Are there big blind spots? Do you have to navigate pylons during training? Why do most people who fail, fail? How hard is it to get to turning? With my current work truck I'm able to take right turns pretty well by watching my tail, right mirror and going a bit wider. Sometimes I occasionally have to use a bit of the (empty) lane near me. Is this allowed? How is it different? 

Thanks. 

Hey I had a mortgage to pay when I quit my previous job to start training with TTC. I think if you don't do it you'll regret it later on. 

with proper mirror setup you don't have too many blind spots. You have a little bit in the front where the pillars are, and you can't see directly behind the bus. 

No you don't drive through pylons during training except when you're learning to backup. 

I think the hardest part about learning to drive a bus versus a truck is the fact that you're sitting in front of the front wheels. So your vantage point is different than in the truck. And in the bus yes you use your right side mirror to make right turns and also watching in the left mirror for tail swing. Moreso on 40ft Novas as Orion's don't have much tail swing. And you can use other lane if needed. That's part of the training how to set up the bus to make a proper turn. They start you off slow can you learn all the basics. 

The thing with training is they want to see constant improvement. They understand you will make mistakes but later in training you should be having almost no mistakes compared to beginning. Following instructions is also very important. Listen to your instructors comments and criticisms but don't take it personally. Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something. If you don't understand something your instructor explained ask them to clarify or explain a different way. We all learn differently. 

First week you'll be doing all in class learning and after that you're actually going to different divisions and doing classes there and driving buses. 

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

My hesitation has more to do with unfortunate circumstances and a potential hiccup. I try to always have a plan b. The way I see it... I can be an amazing driver who knows their stuff well and who gets overtaken by a bit of nerves and makes a failing mistake. The opposite can be said of somebody who has no business driving a bus or commercial vehicle. 

Very true. A plan B is a good thing to have. It is understandable to have a bit of nerves. If I were an instructor I would personally be worried more about the over confident trainee. 

Thank you for the response! I actually have a relative who drives for TTC. I may have a chat with him. Thanks for all the information. First off I just need to finish the information session! 

Say if I was to decline the job offer, you guys think it'd be held against in the system if I apply in the future? 

7 hours ago, NoobieRider said:

Say if I was to decline the job offer, you guys think it'd be held against in the system if I apply in the future? 

Quite possibly.. It could be viewed as you are just wasting their time and they won't bother with you next time around. Talk with your relative first. You don't want to start the process with cold feet. A case of nerves is bad enough.

I left a 10 year job position with a family to support, mortgage to pay and just enough savings to get thru a few months should I fail with no back up plan or anything. For me this was a much much better job with better prospects and long term benefits (salary, benefits, pension, etc).

In hindsight training was pretty easy as long as you pay attention, do the homework/readings and listen to the instructors. Reasons people fail are nerves or they find that the job is not for them (stress, pressure, comfort level of driving a large vehicle, commute, shifts, etc).

Ask questions until you understand something. No such thing as a stupid question.

The hardest part, to me, is split between two factors: operating the bus with passengers and knowing the routes.

After a few days or weeks (everyone is different) you stop concentrating too much on driving the bus (you don't have to think 100x if you'll clear a corner or not). Not to say that you can be lax with checking mirrors or scanning. But your focus changes.

With routes, I say the best thing once you know which division you're assigned to is to drive them and ride the bus. There's nothing better than seeing it in person. To see where the bus turns, how they enter and exit a station, where the platform is, tips of the routes, etc. 

I was pissing myself every time I did a new route and screwed up some due to nerves. But now I'm pretty comfortable with all the routes I've done. Only thing I worry about now is what time I start and finish and what's for dinner.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, I just applied last month on March 08 2019, but have not heard anything back yet, any insight on this?

Also I am aware that a medical needs to be done, I am just thinking ahead here. I just developed high blood pressure, I don't take medication for it as the doctor wants to see if I can control it with lifestyle changes, does anyone know the range it has to be when they do the medical in order to be certified to drive.

Thanks,

Considering that you just applied you have time to work on your high blood pressure. Generally even if you’re fast tracked the medical will be minimum 2 months after the interview. Any medical issue found you will have to get another doctor to give you a letter clearing you for duty. Barring any legitimate specific instances that wouldn’t make you able to drive.