TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Eglinton doesn't have the toughest routes... but it's unfriendly! (Compared to other Divisions, the people at the Wicket [the people you have to say 'hi' to before your shift] are rude. (Except George!!)

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

nah mount dennis has the worst.  What do you want to know about Eglinton divison?  I work there.

How is the drive on the Don Valley Express 144 route? It looks like you would spend a lot of time in traffic on the Parkway and once you hit downtown, especially during rush hour.

nah mount dennis has the worst.  What do you want to know about Eglinton divison?  I work there.

Just got the training call to start at Dennis on the 18th. Wish I was placed closer to home in the east, but glad I ive been given the opportunity to learn and master what I plan to do for the rest of my life, either way.. ain't living if you ain't learning. 

Do you have an idea what kind of shift I'll be doing as the new guy? Is it guaranteed split shifts or may I have the option to work nights instead? 

11 hours ago, Zorti said:

Have a oversee flight on 10th June. bought months ago for 3 weeks to see my parents and family after 2 years. I'm not sure worth to go and open my phone roaming. 

1)If I finish all medical results, police clearance, and documentation done until 10th, I'd go and wait a call from there. If I get called for training, I'd find a one way ticket to return in 2 weeks. 

2)If medical, police clearance and documentation are not done till my flight day, probably I cancel or postpone (don't know when) my flight. 

Any recommendations? 

Tell them of your pending vacation. Mention you have access to email and when you will be returning.

They will add to file. I did that and it worked to out fine.

2 hours ago, t4k said:

Eglinton doesn't have the toughest routes... but it's unfriendly! (Compared to other Divisions, the people at the Wicket [the people you have to say 'hi' to before your shift] are rude. (Except George!!)

maybe you rubbed the clerks the wrong way.  I always show up on time and don't book in sick the last minute.  Sometimes the make mistakes, I let it slide.   I never have no problems with the clerks.  If you think the current clerks at Eglinton are bad, I had worse.  

To any new TTC operators out there, the clerks are your best friends.  Having said that always show courtesy and respect to the clerks.  You don't want to burn the bridge as you never know when you will need to ask a favour from them.  

29 minutes ago, Mazinger Z said:

How is the drive on the Don Valley Express 144 route? It looks like you would spend a lot of time in traffic on the Parkway and once you hit downtown, especially during rush hour.

I don't drive a lot of 144.  It is a hit and a miss.  From my experience you may have some layover time when you deadhead down to downtown.  I guarantee you will be late during the TIFF.  

25 minutes ago, Hellothere said:

Do you have an idea what kind of shift I'll be doing as the new guy? Is it guaranteed split shifts or may I have the option to work nights instead? 

At the beginning you won't get split shifts as you will either work late relief if you are lucky or night bus.  After I graduated, I already had 5 people behind me.  So I never did any night bus crew.  3:30 A.M. was the latest I finished.  Having said that seniority matters.  I don't know if this is still true or not.  Seniority is based on how soon you get the medical done.  I know a guy passed 2 spots in terms of senority when she beat 2 other people to complete the medical.

• Like 1

@leylandvictory2

I haven’t had any interactions with the clerks yet (still in training, I was assigned to Eglinton however) but I found most of the guys who work there to be rather welcoming and friendly, in comparison to like queensway or malvern, those on the other hand didn’t seem too friendly of a bunch.

what route do you typically drive?

I know probably close to 15-20 people training for Eglinton, maybe more that I don’t know of. Any idea what kind of work will be available to us to start? I know you mentioned late relief/night bus, would that apply to us new guys at Eglinton as well?

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

maybe you rubbed the clerks the wrong way.  I always show up on time and don't book in sick the last minute.  Sometimes the make mistakes, I let it slide.   I never have no problems with the clerks.  If you think the current clerks at Eglinton are bad, I had worse.  

To any new TTC operators out there, the clerks are your best friends.  Having said that always show courtesy and respect to the clerks.  You don't want to burn the bridge as you never know when you will need to ask a favour from them.  

I don't drive a lot of 144.  It is a hit and a miss.  From my experience you may have some layover time when you deadhead down to downtown.  I guarantee you will be late during the TIFF.  

At the beginning you won't get split shifts as you will either work late relief if you are lucky or night bus.  After I graduated, I already had 5 people behind me.  So I never did any night bus crew.  3:30 A.M. was the latest I finished.  Having said that seniority matters.  I don't know if this is still true or not.  Seniority is based on how soon you get the medical done.  I know a guy passed 2 spots in terms of senority when she beat 2 other people to complete the medical.

What is late relief? 

7 hours ago, TheAverageGuy said:

@leylandvictory2

I haven’t had any interactions with the clerks yet (still in training, I was assigned to Eglinton however) but I found most of the guys who work there to be rather welcoming and friendly, in comparison to like queensway or malvern, those on the other hand didn’t seem too friendly of a bunch.

what route do you typically drive?

I know probably close to 15-20 people training for Eglinton, maybe more that I don’t know of. Any idea what kind of work will be available to us to start? I know you mentioned late relief/night bus, would that apply to us new guys at Eglinton as well?

I am all over the place as I sign spareboard.  When you have time, check out the spareboard panel and look under "New operators" list.  It will give you an idea what time you will finish.  As to what time you finish everyday on spareboard depends on who is away for the day and how many people on spareboard.  Generally speaking, you tend to work later on weekends as there are fewer operators are on the spareboard.    New operators are assigned positions behind the regular operators.  So yes, new operators are tend to do relief/night bus crews.  

4 hours ago, Hellothere said:

What is late relief? 

late relief generally refers to the work that finish past 12 AM.  

I appreciate all the help for this forum.. Just have a couple more question. 

First question is easy.... What are clerks to the transit operator. 

Second... I know every operator has to stay in their position(as an operator) for at least two years. After those two years, If I applied and got the job as a special constable for example .... Does my seniority start over with the new job title or will it transfer of no matter where you work in the ttc?

4 hours ago, Hellothere said:

I appreciate all the help for this forum.. Just have a couple more question. 

First question is easy.... What are clerks to the transit operator. 

Second... I know every operator has to stay in their position(as an operator) for at least two years. After those two years, If I applied and got the job as a special constable for example .... Does my seniority start over with the new job title or will it transfer of no matter where you work in the ttc?

too much to list in here.  You will learn more about their roles during training.  Generally speaking the clerks are there to answer your phone calls, check you off for attendance, give you all the paper work you requested and lots more.  

In terms of seniority issue, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss how seniority works on the chat room.  If you have any questions regarding the senority or other questions, you should ask your shop steward.  She is generally at the division.

The compensation and other benefits are listed in the collective agreement.  Copies are available at the union office and there should be one posted at the garage. 

9 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

too much to list in here.  You will learn more about their roles during training.  Generally speaking the clerks are there to answer your phone calls, check you off for attendance, give you all the paper work you requested and lots more.  

In terms of seniority issue, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss how seniority works on the chat room.  If you have any questions regarding the senority or other questions, you should ask your shop steward.  She is generally at the division.

The compensation and other benefits are listed in the collective agreement.  Copies are available at the union office and there should be one posted at the garage. 

We were also emailed a copy of the last ATU agreement that spells that all out (2014).  At least I know I got a copy to lightly read (300+ pages) ?

Hey you guys ever wonder/worry about what automation will do to this job in the future? From what I have been reading TTC has already had (very) minimal discussions about it, and some say that automated buses will be in operation in 10-15 years (approx.). Automation is inevitable (already being tested and rolled out in other cities) and I wonder if this industry is ready for the rude awakening that will come someday. I was just wondering how long of a career those of us entering the game now will have until we get told one day that our jobs are no longer a necessity.

11 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Make a lateral move into maintenance trades. Internal applicants get preference for apprenticeship spots.

I wouldn’t  hold my breath on the 15 year prediction though.

Do you have any advice for the resume entering into trades?

11 minutes ago, SoulSonick said:

Meaning ... you think no way we even have that long? I don't think it'll take that long either. I'm thinking 10 years max.

I think longer, for buses/ mixed traffic streetcars anyway. Not because they can’t, but because no one wants to accept the public liability hot potato that it will come with.

rail on the other hand, there’s really nothing but inertia stopping them even now.

1 hour ago, Cee.B said:

Do you have any advice for the resume entering into trades?

Nothing that hasn’t been said here already.

Training is now complete. Wow! What a ride. I can honestly say that it was a really excellent training program with excellent trainers who really have one goal in mind; to help you become a great transit operator and assist you in passing all your tests. Listen and absorb everything they tell you. Next hump is the 10 month probation period. See you out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1