TTC Application Process

ericgu22

1 hour ago, Hellothere said:

Hey friends, what happens at the documentation session? What do I need to bring other than my criminal record check? Is there anything I need to prepare for?

I appreciate all the help and insight I received from this thread. Good luck everyone! 

You will receive a very detailed email outlining all the required forms and docs. Don’t worry.

38 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A void cheuqe.  So if yoi dont have one, order one.  It takes about 7 to 10 business days to get cheques.

Walk into a branch you have an account with and you'll walk out with blank cheques within 5 minutes - unless of course, your account is at one of those obscure customer service less banks that have no physical branches or even ATMs.

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A void cheuqe.  So if yoi dont have one, order one.  It takes about 7 to 10 business days to get cheques.

Online banking you can also access the required document for payroll.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, Ttcbound said:

Have they been hiring any streetcar or subway operators lately? It seems like its only been bus.

No as new streetcars aren't coming in fast enough and the lineup to transfer to subway is still quite long.

3 hours ago, havox said:

Hey guys anyone know how they pay during training? Is it weekly or do they have some sort of hold? The search function on my phone is being weird right now so I can't really look. 

I believe you get paid on your third week of training (Wednesday) and it'll be about 500 dollars, give or take.

Say whaaaat? LOL.. $500 for three weeks full time work? 

12 minutes ago, Max3031 said:

I believe you get paid on your third week of training (Wednesday) and it'll be about 500 dollars, give or take.

Say whaaaat? LOL.. $500 for three weeks full time work? 

17 minutes ago, Zerocool said:

They hold 2 weeks pay...tough start but worth it long term obviously

Hold it until when? I appreciate the info; I was unaware of this entirely. I knew they paid 6 hours for 8 hours work during training, but not that they held the first two weeks. That seems odd.. why don’t they want to pay us?

I'm not entirely sure what the reason for the hold is but it is not something exclusive to TTC. The two weeks will be given to you at the end of your employment I would assume. My best guess is the two week hold makes it easier for payroll to be accurate. For example if you miss time or work overtime they would have more time to record and pay correctly with a two week buffer. Anybody here feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

18 hours ago, 9924 said:

Walk into a branch you have an account with and you'll walk out with blank cheques within 5 minutes - unless of course, your account is at one of those obscure customer service less banks that have no physical branches or even ATMs.

I've ordered cheques from a bank, but it takes a while for the order to arrive.

Usually, the only things of interest on a void cheque are the transit and account numbers, which the branch can provide. But, this being HR in a large organization, if the rule is "bring a blank cheque", that's what you must do.

Hey guys, relatively new hire, been lurking here a bit. For the direct deposit info, just go into any of your bank's branches and request a direct deposit slip, TD just printed off a page for me with the relevant account info. (Recommend you keep that paper secure since it contains your full account number). First pay came through easily enough after the 2 week hold. The 2 week hold is likely to allow time for info to be entered and processed, TTC is not a small mom & pop organization, neither are the banks, these things take time (or did you not realize this from the length of the hiring process?)

7 minutes ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

Hey guys, relatively new hire, been lurking here a bit. For the direct deposit info, just go into any of your bank's branches and request a direct deposit slip, TD just printed off a page for me with the relevant account info. (Recommend you keep that paper secure since it contains your full account number). First pay came through easily enough after the 2 week hold. The 2 week hold is likely to allow time for info to be entered and processed, TTC is not a small mom & pop organization, neither are the banks, these things take time (or did you not realize this from the length of the hiring process?)

A two week hold is understandable if that's the case; but when they finally get the information entered, does that pay come through? Or when exactly it is paid out? If it's paid at the end of our employment (which for me will hopefully for 30 years from now), as someone alluded to above, it sounds analogous to a security deposit for an apartment. Just doesn't make sense that they withhold two weeks' pay indefinitely. I think those concerned are just trying to figure out when that money is paid, myself included. 

I applied in February 2017

contacted for info session July (couldn’t go I was on vacation) 

Got another invite for info session Jan 2018

got an interview March 12th

they called my references that day about an hour after interview 

contacted by phone saying I passed interview March 21st

medical/physical/drug test March 27th

documentation was April 27th

called me two days later and training starts Wednesday may 16th

BUS 

WILSON DIVISION ?

Anyone else start training in may 16th at Hillcrest and assigned to Wilson ??? 

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I've ordered cheques from a bank, but it takes a while for the order to arrive.

Usually, the only things of interest on a void cheque are the transit and account numbers, which the branch can provide. But, this being HR in a large organization, if the rule is "bring a blank cheque", that's what you must do.

Any large bank (RBC, TD, CIBC, BMO) will print you a void cheque right on the spot at the branch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wilson said:

I applied in February 2017

contacted for info session July (couldn’t go I was on vacation) 

Got another invite for info session Jan 2018

got an interview March 12th

they called my references that day about an hour after interview 

contacted by phone saying I passed interview March 21st

medical/physical/drug test March 27th

documentation was April 27th

called me two days later and training starts Wednesday may 16th

BUS 

WILSON DIVISION ?

Anyone else start training in may 16th at Hillcrest and assigned to Wilson ??? 

I have training same day, Eglinton division though 

1 minute ago, Ttcbound said:

Is it normal to have to wait over 2 weeks after references are called to get a conditional offer? I trust my references so I know everything is good on that front.

It's usually a good sign your references were contacted. Just be patient.