TTC Application Process

ericgu22

On 25/03/2018 at 6:16 PM, Bus_Medic said:

I don’t think convenience of commute qualifies for compassionate transfer.

100% Correct. I can walk to my current division but wasn't placed there. Did my 2 years and moved. Luckily they changed it to 1 year now for newbies. 

Took me the better part of 8 years to get dayshift at the closest division to my house with mid week off days. Only now can I qualify for days, sat/sun off, but I had to sacrifice my placement at malvern....so yeah.....

-cue world’s smallest violin.....

Hey ME-TO thanks so much for the reply. I’m excited and super nervous because I know the expectation surrounding safety I’m happy it’s Mount Dennis as it is closer to home so thank goodness. I’m still scared of the dreaded day 16 test because I would like the opportunity to really practice those alternate turns as well I’m worried about pedestrians doing something random on my test day despite the scanning and practice I put in. Those are my real worries. I enjoy the education part but I’m terrified about the testing on the road not sure how reasonable they are given the challenges today with jay walkers and what not. Also other drivers being careless or a hard braking due to the circumstance. I hope they are reasonable. I can’t wait to join the Mount Dennis team. Hopefully we meet at some point. What are shifts like ? I hear it’s brand new division but you scared me when you said Tough routes? Please fill me in. As for the others congratulations and I’m excited to start training April 2nd 2018. 

On 2018-03-24 at 12:53 PM, MarkyMark said:

Hey glad to hear the good news. Just a question for you or anyone that can answer. I start on April 2nd as well but they put me all the way at birchmount even though I live 5 minutes away from Mount Dennis. I live on Pine Street right at Jane and Lawrence. I just found out that there is a Pine Ave right next to birchmount division and maybe they screwed up and think I live over there. I double checked all the papers and files that I sent them and they sent me and I put the correct address. I am just wondering where abouts do you live so I can know if it was a screw up on their part or they just ran out of spots close by. Another thing is I was going to turn them down because I currently work at Missisauga transit and it’s closer for me and I didn’t give Mississauga two weeks notice because of that fact. Now it would be too late to give my notice to not burn any bridges with Mississauga if I call TTC and they move me closer but can’t prolong the start date. And if TTC didn’t screw up and it’s birchmount after all Will I get blacklisted for turning them down?

Hey yeah I live reasonably close to Mount Dennis. I know they said though it’s based on need but worth a call. See what HR says could be. Mix up. 

32 minutes ago, havox said:

What off days can a new guy expect to get? Monday - Tuesday something of that sort? I guess it varies eh.

I would like to know this as well. 

1 hour ago, Transit77 said:

Hey ME-TO thanks so much for the reply. I’m excited and super nervous because I know the expectation surrounding safety I’m happy it’s Mount Dennis as it is closer to home so thank goodness. I’m still scared of the dreaded day 16 test because I would like the opportunity to really practice those alternate turns as well I’m worried about pedestrians doing something random on my test day despite the scanning and practice I put in. Those are my real worries. I enjoy the education part but I’m terrified about the testing on the road not sure how reasonable they are given the challenges today with jay walkers and what not. Also other drivers being careless or a hard braking due to the circumstance. I hope they are reasonable. I can’t wait to join the Mount Dennis team. Hopefully we meet at some point. What are shifts like ? I hear it’s brand new division but you scared me when you said Tough routes? Please fill me in. As for the others congratulations and I’m excited to start training April 2nd 2018. 

Hey yeah I live reasonably close to Mount Dennis. I know they said though it’s based on need but worth a call. See what HR says could be. Mix up. 

I would like to know this as well. 

depends on where you are needed.  Since my group missed the sign up, we all got Saturday/Sunday off.  I got tues/wed off in my first sign up.  It is very rare to get split off days Tues/Thurs, Mon/Wed, etc off.

1 hour ago, Reggie said:

Hi I finshed my interview about 3 weeks ago and none of my reference has been contacted... I was wondering if HR will send you email if you didnt get the job? 

Yes, they will send you an email if you don't pass the interview stage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

I know TTC is doing a huge hiring phase the last few years due to increased need for drivers, but before these past few years were they still hiring on a yearly basis and if so how much per year on average?

They have been on a massive hiring binge for the last 10 years (some years few than others).  They will either slow down or continue based on the provincial elections.  The TTC will probably be dismantled and absorbed into Metrolinx sooner than later.   Soon or later maybe not in my lifetime but TTC/Miway/Brampton/Go/York Region will be either Viva blue or Metrolinx green.

Having a hard time sleeping given I’m starting training Monday. Keep dreaming of hitting a curb and or just missing something. Sweating buckets here. Just want day 16 over with already. Please anyone have tips for the driving test keep me coming. Thanks greatly : )

29 minutes ago, Transit77 said:

Having a hard time sleeping given I’m starting training Monday. Keep dreaming of hitting a curb and or just missing something. Sweating buckets here. Just want day 16 over with already. Please anyone have tips for the driving test keep me coming. Thanks greatly : )

Dont stress over it. Take it day by day. The instructors over prepare you.

9 hours ago, ghost said:

Dont stress over it. Take it day by day. The instructors over prepare you.

Thanks Ghost. I appreciate that. I made a list of automatic fails,

hitting curb

not stopping at stop sign

speeding 

railway crossing rules disobeyed 

not double stopping at close stop signs

not scanning mirrors every 5 seconds

stipping at least 10 feet prior to instersectuon in case alternate turn is needed

watcging for jay walkers and other pedestrians 

anyone can think of any other automatic rails ?????? Please share : ) just need to Nail this : )

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I have been applying for TTC for the past 2 years now. I only applied twice because the TO post said apply every 12 months. I do have Customer Service experience, and Downtown driving experience and my resume is catered to the TO post. Is there something I am missing? Is it true, you have to apply every 12 months?

6 hours ago, Transit77 said:

hitting curb

speeding 

stipping at least 10 feet prior to instersectuon in case alternate turn is needed

anyone can think of any other automatic rails ?????? Please share : ) just need to Nail this : )

Not buckling your seat belt

7 hours ago, Transit77 said:

hitting curb

speeding 

Causing oncoming traffic or pedestrians to stop/swerve while you are entering an intersection/roadway

Its best to wait for your training to start as your instructor will go through these scenarios.

2 hours ago, ghost said:

Causing oncoming traffic or pedestrians to stop/swerve while you are entering an intersection/roadway

Its best to wait for your training to start as your instructor will go through these scenarios.

Wow, but how do you Manage all this given that you maybe entering and moving into the intersection and someone or a car thinks they are at a track meet and starts springing I’m guessing they want you to just do a full stop? But please give me a few you might think I’m missing ? 

2 hours ago, havox said:

Has anyone experienced delaying their training date to a later date? Say something comes up and you can't start training on the date they give you, are you able to request for a later date? 

I believe you can do this as long as you have a valid reason (I personally know a few operators who have done this).  Of course, things may have changed now.