TTC Application Process

ericgu22

4 minutes ago, Newbie22 said:

Has anyone received streetcar or subway ? What is the training like for those? Most of the convos are about bus but there isn't much info on the other twos training. 

There is a class of subway training started the other day.  Subway training by far the longest and toughest.  However if you study and do yhe homework you will be fine.

6 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

There is a class of subway training started the other day.  Subway training by far the longest and toughest.  However if you study and do yhe homework you will be fine.

How is it the toughest ? What do you need to learn for it?  Do they have the same tests? 

44 minutes ago, Newbie22 said:

How is it the toughest ? What do you need to learn for it?  Do they have the same tests? 

A lot more procedures and other specific safety critical information that you need to memorize compared to the other modes. They say that subway training is the most intense out of the 3 modes followed by streetcar and then bus. However, I hear that streetcars are actually the most difficult to operate safely on a day to day basis, followed by subway as a second and bus as the easiest. Each mode has it's own specific training material with various tests throughout, they are not comparable except for the operating in revenue service part and learning about crew guides and run guides. I'd assume that that part of the program is similar between at least bus and streetcar.

3 hours ago, Newbie22 said:

Honestly not sure what is tougher. I was hired for streetcars, trained to drive both the old A and C cars as well as the new low floor. I operated on 509, 510, 504, 501. While I’m no longer with TTC I’ll try to give you some perspective on training.

For streetcars training is 36 days which is the longest of all modes. First 10 days are on the low floor at Leslie Barns and driving around the city. 15 min. on simulator at Barns before driving the real thing. Then you go a few days to Roncy and Russell to learn the old clunkers. Compared to the high tech low floor the old street cars are rust buckets although they are more forgiving with turns (bogies swivel 360 degrees whereas low floor bogies don’t swivel which is why passengers tend to bounce around more entering turns especially those sitting in last module). There are two practical coupling tests (low floor to low floor (MEPS - taking couplers out, reverse using shunting panel, hooking up train line, power reset, cut front antenna and select tow mode) and C to C car), you’ll also have to couple the low floor to an A or C car, B21 test (releasing discs in an awkward position and using only track brake to get back to division), two or three written exams, and two final driving tests: full 510 Spadina in revenue service with low floor and full 504 in revenue service with a C car. You need to score at least 80% on every test or you’re out. Sounds intimidating but as long as you pay attention and complete the homework you should be fine.

Streetcar by far the most challenging mode to operate because you operate a train with live traffic. You need to pay attention to overhead (insulators, diodes), the tracks and switches, weather, pedestrians and traffic. You also need to learn all the diversion routes. Sounds challenging but after a while you get used to it.

• Like 1

On 2017-10-20 at 12:07 PM, I AM BUS said:

Wohooo. Happy bday! And congrats. I guess i'll see you nov 8 for hillcrest training. ????

@I AM BUSsee you there!?

I thank you all for your great support and time. I definitely have learned a lot from all your inputs. May God continue to guide and shower us more blessings...

4 hours ago, Vinay said:

Hi guys

did someone recieved call for training date from oct 4 documentation.thanks

Hey, Vinay,

Did you get a call? if so, congrats!!   What is the start date and mode?

On 10/10/2017 at 10:37 AM, WestEnder said:

So happy...Had my documentation meeting on October 4th and was called the next day (Oct 5) for my training date which starts on Oct 25th!!! 

Hey WestEnder, 

What mode did you get?

4 minutes ago, heart said:

Hey, Vinay,

Did you get a call? if so, congrats!!   What is the start date and mode?

Hey WestEnder, 

What mode did you get?

O hi 

no actually i was wondering if someone get a call.hopefully this week.fingercrossed.

23 minutes ago, Vinay said:

O hi 

no actually i was wondering if someone get a call.hopefully this week.fingercrossed.

Well I'm sure you'll be getting called in soon so don't worry.

I was reading the message boards and there is one person named WestEnder who says he also had documentation on the same day you and already got a start date of Oct 25th.

10 hours ago, heart said:

I was reading the message boards and there is one person named WestEnder who says he also had documentation on the same day you and already got a start date of Oct 25th.

Hi Heart,

I had my documentation on Oct 4 and got called the very next day....I start training on Oct 25th. I got bus and the Queensway division once training is completed.

On 2017-10-12 at 11:22 AM, ME TOO said:

After completing 6 months.

Congratulations WestEnder!!!

Mode? Division?

Bus and Queensway Division

Hi heart

Thanks for your wishes.did you start your training or still waiting?

19 hours ago, heart said:

Hi heart

7 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

you will be carrying a 2 inch binder p;us a booklet that is about 100 pages

2 hours ago, Vinay said:

Hi heart

Hi heart

7 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

@leylandvictory2thanks a lot for the info. really appreciate it?i guess backpack won't fit them. 

On 2017-10-20 at 10:13 PM, Betablocker said:

Honestly not sure what is tougher. I was hired for streetcars, trained to drive both the old A and C cars as well as the new low floor. I operated on 509, 510, 504, 501. While I’m no longer with TTC I’ll try to give you some perspective on training.

For streetcars training is 36 days which is the longest of all modes. First 10 days are on the low floor at Leslie Barns and driving around the city. 15 min. on simulator at Barns before driving the real thing. Then you go a few days to Roncy and Russell to learn the old clunkers. Compared to the high tech low floor the old street cars are rust buckets although they are more forgiving with turns (bogies swivel 360 degrees whereas low floor bogies don’t swivel which is why passengers tend to bounce around more entering turns especially those sitting in last module). There are two practical coupling tests (low floor to low floor (MEPS - taking couplers out, reverse using shunting panel, hooking up train line, power reset, cut front antenna and select tow mode) and C to C car), you’ll also have to couple the low floor to an A or C car, B21 test (releasing discs in an awkward position and using only track brake to get back to division), two or three written exams, and two final driving tests: full 510 Spadina in revenue service with low floor and full 504 in revenue service with a C car. You need to score at least 80% on every test or you’re out. Sounds intimidating but as long as you pay attention and complete the homework you should be fine.

Streetcar by far the most challenging mode to operate because you operate a train with live traffic. You need to pay attention to overhead (insulators, diodes), the tracks and switches, weather, pedestrians and traffic. You also need to learn all the diversion routes. Sounds challenging but after a while you get used to it.

Curious to what you moved onto ? Pretty much bang on what he said

On 2017-10-24 at 4:57 AM, leylandvictory2 said:

Actually bus training is now a 4" binder and 5-6 booklets ranging from 50 pages to 150 pages. Plus a bunch of smaller items and your safety vest and hat.

I used a backpack and it was fine.

• Thanks 1

On 2017-10-04 at 4:55 AM, MMatadar said:

Hey folks, I’m currently on Day 13 of 27 for subway training and just wanted to share that we’ve been told another class will be starting October 23rd! So those of you who have recently had your documentation sessions and who scored well on your aptitude tests at the info session may be getting calls very soon if not already. Usually they call 2 weeks in advance of your start date.

good luck!

Hi Mmatadar

how is the subway training is it very hard or just normal.thanks

Hi Everyone, 

I just finished my subway training,  and am now certified and ready to go!  If anyone has any questions let me know.   Thanks for the support during this phase.   To all those waiting on a call/interview/start date etc...  all the best to you. 

28 minutes ago, 905r said:

Hi Everyone, 

I just finished my subway training,  and am now certified and ready to go!  If anyone has any questions let me know.   Thanks for the support during this phase.   To all those waiting on a call/interview/start date etc...  all the best to you. 

Hi

First of all congrats for the achievement.

iam starting my subway training on 16 nov.hows the training? Thanks

1 hour ago, Vinay said:

Hi

First of all congrats for the achievement.

iam starting my subway training on 16 nov.hows the training? Thanks

Thanks @Vinay 

The first two weeks were the most difficult for me,  but do your homework and make sure you fully understand things.   The instructors are great and are there to help you succeed. All the best to you. 

Which line are you going to?