TTC Application Process

ericgu22

6 minutes ago, DreamOperator said:

Was assigned to Wilson. Also, thanks for the info regarding possible OT availability.

Medical October 11th at 11:45AM. Why so curioussssssssss (in the tone of the Heath Ledger Joker voice)

Thanks! Your news will come soon I'm sure!! Hopefully my start date gives you a good idea as to how soon you may be starting training though.

I wanted to see how far ahead you were of my medical.

I had mine October 13th..

You got the exact mode and division I was hoping to be selected for lol.. Oh well.. fingers crossed

59 minutes ago, DreamOperator said:

I received a call for my first training date which will be on January 4th. The mode I've been assigned is Subway.

Question, does anyone know how much overtime on average is available for Subway Operators? Thanks.

Congratulations! When was your documentation if you don't mind me asking! 

4 minutes ago, emki said:

Congratulations! When was your documentation if you don't mind me asking! 

Documentation does not determine when you get the call. The date of your medical will let you know your queue.

His documentation was a week after I went for mine but his medical was two days prior and I have not received my call as of yet.

5 hours ago, a1brt said:

Wrong. They contact every single reference no matter how much you killed the interview. Garda is paid by TTC for it, believe me they won't skip out on it.

A friend of mine didn't do so well on the interview and his references were never contacted.

58 minutes ago, SecondGen-Op said:

Documentation does not determine when you get the call. The date of your medical will let you know your queue.

His documentation was a week after I went for mine but his medical was two days prior and I have not received my call as of yet.

Thats interesting because my medical was Oct 5th if that's the case! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamOperator said:

I received a call for my first training date which will be on January 4th. The mode I've been assigned is Subway.

Question, does anyone know how much overtime on average is available for Subway Operators? Thanks.

Congrats, that's awesome! Were you hoping for subway?

9 hours ago, Quan said:

Congrats, that's awesome! Were you hoping for subway?

I knew I could not choose either one so I was really indifferent and didn't get my hopes high for any mode. I just became thankful for the opportunity. I kept telling my family though that it was very unlikely that I would get Subway due to seniority and other people's knowledge and experiences. After getting the call I felt very fortunate and lucky to have gotten Subway though.

8 hours ago, Oscar101 said:

Congrats @DreamOperator!

The "queue" doesn't seem to make any sense. My medical was in September, my documentation was Nov. 2 and all I received today was 10 cm of snow to shovel.

I don't have a rational explanation for the queue either. When I got the call I just thought it was my turn in the "queue" but as you and Emki have stated that is not the case. 

5 minutes ago, ttcscarb said:

when is your police check sent off for processing?

is it after your interview, conditional offer or after medical?

It is after you sign and email them back your conditional offer. Reason being is that if they were you send it out after your interview 1) They don't know if they are necessarily hiring you yet based on reference checks 2) It costs them money to process it so why waste money for a candidate they don't know if they are giving a Conditional Offer to?

• Like 1

Congrats to everyone who received a call!

Dream Operator: when you're fresh off OTC you'll be assigned to sign slip which is below spare board. With sign slip you're assigned work by the clerk or do what's called a report where you come in and sit at the division as a spare op. 

You'll be asked to report in the early afternoon and then they have 5 hours to find you work. If they don't find anything, you go home with 8 hours pay. If they do find a crew for you then the most they can hold you is 12.5 hours which includes your wait time and crew value. You get paid for crew value and half of your wait time.

You'll have to call in every day after 5pm to know what you're doing the next day. Sometimes you'll get an actual shift but most times when you're brand new it'll be a report. The only thing you'll know in advance are your off days.

Speaking from experience as I go through the same thing right now. Good luck!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ttcscarb said:

thanks guys i signed my conditional offer December 8. 

Im hoping my police check is cleared before TPS decides to take christmas holidays off. 

You can contact TPS to learn where it is. They are super nice and very competent about it.

19 minutes ago, DreamOperator said:

@Oscar101 Not really. I live by Woodbine and Queen.

Quite the commute then to Wilson, when Danforth, Russell/Leslie, Birchmount, even Malvern and Roncesvales would have been easier. Break a leg!

1 minute ago, ttcscarb said:

Final question

i know for my conditional offer they called me, is it the same for Documentation? 

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Oscar101 said:

You can contact TPS to learn where it is. They are super nice and very competent about it.

Quite the commute then to Wilson, when Danforth, Russell/Leslie, Birchmount, even Malvern and Roncesvales would have been easier. Break a leg!

Yeah.....what can I do right? I guess I could put in the request to transfer between divisions after 1 year.

31 minutes ago, Betablocker said:

Congrats to everyone who received a call!

Dream Operator: when you're fresh off OTC you'll be assigned to sign slip which is below spare board. With sign slip you're assigned work by the clerk or do what's called a report where you come in and sit at the division as a spare op. 

You'll be asked to report in the early afternoon and then they have 5 hours to find you work. If they don't find anything, you go home with 8 hours pay. If they do find a crew for you then the most they can hold you is 12.5 hours which includes your wait time and crew value. You get paid for crew value and half of your wait time.

You'll have to call in every day after 5pm to know what you're doing the next day. Sometimes you'll get an actual shift but most times when you're brand new it'll be a report. The only thing you'll know in advance are your off days.

Speaking from experience as I go through the same thing right now. Good luck!

when you do sign-in slip are the routes still only ones based out of your division?

31 minutes ago, ttcscarb said:

when you do sign-in slip are the routes still only ones based out of your division?

Yes. But there was a one-off scenario where Wilson had so many new hires they made a bunch of them report to Arrow.

51 minutes ago, a1brt said:

So did he end up receiving the conditional offer? If not, then this is exactly what I meant.

No. He waited about a month after interview and received an email saying they are no longer going to proceed with his application.

4 minutes ago, a1brt said:

what are your shifts like when you start? What time do you usually start work and finish, and are the off days together or separate? How's first impressions and feedback of the job?

Off days are always together when you're on slip. Usually you'll get night bus 5am finish but it all depends on the seniority at your division.

When you sign work there are some crews with split off days but I haven't seen a lot.

• Like 1