TTC Application Process

ericgu22

On August 9, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Oscar101 said:

Hey everyone, just want to say I've an interview coming up in early September. If you're keeping track of dates, I applied in late May and attended an info session in late June.

Since the talk has been about divisions recently, I've got one question. I know the TTC will assign you a division and mode once you're past the documentation and all and that they do it theoretically as close as possible to your residence, but primarily based on operational need. However, do we have an opportunity during the hiring process where we can say "I'd like to be in Division X"?

Congrats, @New TTC Operator!!! I've a question about this comment: "Added to hiring Pool B" — Can you (or anyone else) please elaborate on this? What do these hiring pools mean? Does it come already assigned on your offer or after you sign off on it? 

Division 8 is not Malvern, Malvern is 7 And your assigned where they need you, you did check off you will work anywhere - being placed close to home is a bonus. I live in the east and work in the west

east would be so much easier especially in the winter 

3 hours ago, New TTC Operator said:

TTC human resources told me I would be at Malvern They called it "Division 8 Malvern" and gave me the printed map I have highlighted below. Maybe they need to update the info they are passing along to newbies like myself.? 

20160815_072211.jpg

The number beside the divisions on that map does not have any official significance with respect to the divisions themselves. I guess it's just a tactic they used to list them all and represent them each on the map. Also, we don't really refer to the divisions by numbers, we just call them by their names.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

The number beside the divisions on that map does not have any official significance with respect to the divisions themselves. I guess it's just a tactic they used to list them all and represent them each on the map. Also, we don't really refer to the divisions by numbers, we just call them by their names.

^This

Malvern is 7

Wilson is 1

Arrow is 4

etc..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

Thanks for clearing that up. 

9 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

Not sure about where you are, but in Edmonton, the division number is also used in the first number in a shift number. For example Westwood is division '1'  so when signing a shift, if you sign shift number 11104 for example, that shift is out of Westwood Garage. Ferrier is division 3, so shift number 31502 is out of Ferrier, Mitchell is division 5, so shift number 52106 is out of Mitchell.

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Not sure about where you are, but in Edmonton, the division number is also used in the first number in a shift number. For example Westwood is division '1'  so when signing a shift, if you sign shift number 11104 for example, that shift is out of Westwood Garage. Ferrier is division 3, so shift number 31502 is out of Ferrier, Mitchell is division 5, so shift number 52106 is out of Mitchell.

Hmm, that's interesting. Can you guys sign work out of any one of the divisions where you are? Here at TTC, each operator is assigned a division. We can only sign work out of the division we are assigned to. Our shifts don't have ID numbers either.

19 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

Hmm, that's interesting. Can you guys sign work out of any one of the divisions where you are? Here at TTC, each operator is assigned a division. We can only sign work out of the division we are assigned to. Our shifts don't have ID numbers either.

Yup, ETS operators can sign work out of any garage. There are five sign ups a year, and you can sign work out of any garage that you want - except the LRT garage (until you are qualified on it).

Vancouver is a bit different. They have a Consolidated Sign Up in September, so signing takes place by total operator pool seniority and you can sign whichever garage you want. Then you stay at that division until next September, unless there is a manpower shift and you get forced to another division. Signing for your shift after the 'consolidated' signup, is signed by garage seniority. This method actually speeds up the signing process.

8 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Yup, ETS operators can sign work out of any garage. There are five sign ups a year, and you can sign work out of any garage that you want - except the LRT garage (until you are qualified on it).

Vancouver is a bit different. They have a Consolidated Sign Up in September, so signing takes place by total operator pool seniority and you can sign whichever garage you want. Then you stay at that division until next September, unless there is a manpower shift and you get forced to another division. Signing for your shift after the 'consolidated' signup, is signed by garage seniority. This method actually speeds up the signing process.

Never though about it before, but I like the way that sounds a lot better. You can sign work out of any division depending on your seniority. At least with this method, you have a chance to operate any route in the system and you're not confined to one division with the same old routes. Can you decide to be trained and qualified on buses and LRT if you choose? Here, if we want to work at a different division we have to bid to transfer. Sometimes transfer requests take forever to go through and once they do, you're stuck at the division that you transferred to for 2 years minimum.

10 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

Never though about it before, but I like the way that sounds a lot better. You can sign work out of any division depending on your seniority. At least with this method, you have a chance to operate any route in the system and you're not confined to one division with the same old routes. Can you decide to be trained and qualified on buses and LRT if you choose? Here, if we want to work at a different division we have to bid to transfer. Sometimes transfer requests take forever to go through and once they do, you're stuck at the division that you transferred to for 2 years minimum.

Yes you can choose to be trained on LRT. You have to do bus first for a while before requesting LRT training.

6 hours ago, Hamloag said:

My medical exam happened on 20 July, police clearance certificate submitted 3 weeks ago. Hav't heared anything about documentation thus far. Any clues how long they usually take?

I'm in kind of the same situation did my medical on July 27  submitted my clearance 5 days after and haven't heard anything yet . Im hoping soon

11 hours ago, Ridealong said:

I'm in kind of the same situation did my medical on July 27  submitted my clearance 5 days after and haven't heard anything yet . Im hoping soon

18 hours ago, Hamloag said:

My medical exam happened on 20 July, police clearance certificate submitted 3 weeks ago. Hav't heared anything about documentation thus far. Any clues how long they usually take?

I start my training this Monday August 22 and it completes on Sept 23. 

As for how long until you get the call for documention. I woud think it will depend on how many orientation classes they run at the same time. If they only have one class at a time, I would assume you would be in the next class. Which would start the week Sept 25. They need to give you 2 weeks notice of when your start date will be and will call to schedule the documentation session 1-2 weeks prior to that. 

So anyone starting the next class should expect a call for documentation in the next week and then a call a week or two after that for a start date of Sept 25 IMO. 

• Like 1

I'm sure the call for documentation will happen shortly. The most important thing is the police background check went quickly. Considering a few people here waited months to get it back in 2014, that's the sort of thing that would have really prolonged the process.

New TTC Op: are those training classes in your division?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New TTC Operator said:

No. The training takes place a the Hillcrest Complex , 1138 Bathurst St. This is the same place that the documentation session takes place. 

https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=1138 bathurst

Ah I see. Well according to what I read here the documentation calls usually go out on Fridays. So let's see who gets called tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Betablocker said:

I'm sure the call for documentation will happen shortly. The most important thing is the police background check went quickly. Considering a few people here waited months to get it back in 2014, that's the sort of thing that would have really prolonged the process.

New TTC Op: are those training classes in your division?

5 hours ago, New TTC Operator said:

No. The training takes place a the Hillcrest Complex , 1138 Bathurst St. This is the same place that the documentation session takes place. 

https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=1138 bathurst

The only parts of training that take place at Hillcrest are the 1st day and the days of your written tests. The rest of the days take place at your division or other divisions within your mode. You'll be actually driving the vehicle by the 2nd day.

5 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

The only parts of training that take place at Hillcrest are the 1st day and the days of your written tests. The rest of the days take place at your division or other divisions within your mode. You'll be actually driving the vehicle by the 2nd day.

I believe it changed to the first 4 days at hillcrest and day 5 at your home division. Unless reg have reverted back to the old way I'm the past year .