TTC Application Process

ericgu22

13 minutes ago, rocketbrah said:

YUS or BD?

and congratulations!

All they told me is Wilson division,so I believe it's YUS.Thanks!

On 25 April 2016 at 3:58 PM, crankyfranky said:

Hey everyone!!  It's been awhile.  Wanted to give an update...I finally got my police clearance letter.  Only took 5 months, (7 if you count the date from the interview date)...what a disaster.  Anyone have any clue as to how long it takes from getting the police clearance and documentation?? I'm just really stoked that the clearance finally came in and I'm ready to get going!!

Cheers

I got my police clearance on 31st March,2016 and I got the call for my documentation on April 13,2016 that my documentation will be on April 20,2016.

2 hours ago, TTC-excited said:

All they told me is Wilson division,so I believe it's YUS.Thanks!

I got my police clearance on 31st March,2016 and I got the call for my documentation on April 13,2016 that my documentation will be on April 20,2016.

Awesome thanks for great news. I'm getting antsy and keep having to remember that patience is a virtue!

12 hours ago, alashn said:

Hi crankyfrankyi applied online 3 weeks ago for transit operator and got information session invitation 2 days later. The invitation said i will have a test on the session day and gave 5 sample questions. It also mentioned that the questions include reflect basic math problems, word problems and logical problems. BUT I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING ABOUT ESSAY!!! So i am confused when i see you guys discuss about essay. Will i have an essay on information session or not? Just in case, what will the essay about?  Thanks for any responses.

It's not a crazy essay. It's a question. You answer in full sentences and paragraph. It's not hard. I'm sure the question changes so just read it. I promise...it's not hard.

3 hours ago, i87 said:

How come it took so long for a clearance? And congrats

So long story short...I was arrested several years ago, charge was withdrawn...my fingerprints are still on file though with Toronto Police. They sent me for fingerprints because the Toronto database doesn't show withdrawn (just shows I was arrested). Rcmp took 4.5 months. Came back with no match, ran the results to Toronto Police...2 weeks later (last week) got my CLEAR letter!! Thanks...I can't wait til I go in and sign my life away ?

23 hours ago, Bus girl said:

HI , 

Thanks for your reply Crankyfranky... thanks for sending a bit of reassurance my way. I will keep everyone posted when i get past tomorrow!! 

Have a great night, :)

No worries!! Hope it went well! 

Lots of transfer bounce right back out, they can't stand being underground, and losing seniority. If you look at the transfer sheet, most people approved to leave subways are the ones that transferred into subways not too long ago within 6months to 1 1/2 year time frame. The only people that are trapped in subway are the ones that started in subway and never been anywhere else but subway. the complain they don't get accepted into subway and then compassionate back out.

Any news with the collector position, I see pamphlets about the plan to switch them to station attendant, which means a pay cut. It appears as though people from the maintenance side get accepted to collectors and former Summer Students. Anyone from outside apply for the collector position?

3 hours ago, CocoonMaN said:

More new hires at Wilson subway???

Thank god.. hope you all pass.   Really irritating all we've had in the last two months is transfers..

Become a divisional trainer and help them out.

Hi crankyfranky, thank you for your reply. I just finished my information session yesterday. It's impossible to finish all the questions and i just done the first page. And again, i didn't have time to answer the question well.  Hope i can get call before May 31. 

On 16 April 2016 at 0:35 PM, sicstang said:

I passed, the day 25 test is easy as long as you don't break any hta rules you're okay, I found day 16 more difficult,  Yesterday was my first day in regular service which went well. I don't remember exact dates but it was about a 3-4 month wait. 

Good that you passed.Good luck!

On 27 April 2016 at 9:58 PM, OperatorP said:

Congratulations!

Thank you!:)

• Like 1

I called the lady the next day, who called me to give me my start date,mode and division,and asked her if its possible to give me something closer to my home as wilson is not close to my home. Closer to my home are some buses and the closest bus junction is scarborough town centre and ofcourse SRT.her reply was and i quote " most people want subway and you are privileged that you got subway in the first place". Is it true ? any thoughts on this? 

Everyone takes it differently, not everyone will agree with subway being all that. SRT is based out of Danforth, and right now SRT is senior it will take you a few years to sign a crew. So its not like you were going to get it. Malvern is senior but being close to home offsets it. There's a good amount of  people that are new and transfers that want out of subways because you're underground all day and is harder to move up. YUS line has more open cut sections, but still boring for a lot of people.

You don't want to be picky seeing as how you just got the job, but if being underground will bother you and you have some phobia, you shouldn't feel afraid to tell them that. I doubt its hard to switch you to surface. And asking for a location close to home is both your and TTCs best interest. especially when you become ESA which will happen when your new. At least when your done probation you can transfer to BD which will be lose to home, but I find people stay where they are because they get comfortable, even if they had an option to move closer to home.

Eglinton is junior and and probably the best place for you to request if you call back. the sooner the better. People ask to be close to home when they start.

1 minute ago, FlyerD901 said:

lol true.

I haven't heard of a Master, and no indication from the last few TTC meetings that TTC has a temp garage in the process. Unless I missed something.

Especially with the street car delivery issues. Yeah not sure what happened with the temp garage in Scarberia either.

2 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

lol true.

I haven't heard of a Master, and no indication from the last few TTC meetings that TTC has a temp garage in the process. Unless I missed something.

Haven't they consider to use Leslie as a dual transit facility for both streetcars and buses? The new Flexity deliveries are taking too long and a bus storage at Leslie could possibly work. Could be a resurrection of the former Danforth garage in reduced form. 

43 minutes ago, 21 Brimley said:

Haven't they consider to use Leslie as a dual transit facility for both streetcars and buses? The new Flexity deliveries are taking too long and a bus storage at Leslie could possibly work. Could be a resurrection of the former Danforth garage in reduced form. 

With zero bus hoists, good luck with that. You might as well consider a parking lot.

Hi, 

I wrote the Assessment test earlier this week, does anybody know what the passing mark is on the Assessment? or do they mark it as a grid method, ( depending on the avg) I thought the content was a bit challenging with the time frame. I have a lot of experience driving big vehicles and customer service; but it would be disappointing, if many people get eliminated because they could not answer e.g. algebra questions fast enough... 

Bus girl 

Thankyou all for replying.I just called her and asked her if there is a possibility to switch me to close to my home with the same start date,she said she can do that but with same start date is not possible.i would have to wait.i asked her how long she said she does not know but i will be on the top of the pool.but the thing is i have already given my current employer vaccation notice.So i will stick to what i have right now.And honestly speaking every mode will be totally a new experience for me whether bus,train or street car.She also told me in bus or street car you get good customer service experience but at the same time you get bad people too.in subway you are sheltered.

I totaly agree that they place us where we are needed as i remember in the orientation session they told us that they will try to fit us closer to our place if not than they will place us upon the requirements of business needs.

So i am all set to start with subway.Hoping it would be a good experience for me.I do not have any phobia of being underground but only time will tell as i said every mode will be a totally new experience for me.

She also told me if you want to do that than now is the time as it could be more difficult to do it later because of the training involved for bus or street car but than for that i would have to wait and that i can't stand.

what i should have done is i should have prepared in my mind what mode i prefer over other and once i receive the call for start date i should have figured out with them to switch me to my prefered spot at that very time so that I would have given my current employer one notice.

But anyways i am excited that i am starting with ttc.clearing the test is the most important thing.will work hard and see how things goes in future.

I have a feeling that after some time subway will get boring for me as i am more towards customer serivce but that can only happen once i step in,pass the test and apply for transfer to closer division with bus or street car.

Everyone is different. Some people say they will leave subway and 20 years later still in subway. As you said it will be a new experience regardless. I enjoy driving subways. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. But as everyone knows the good thing about TTC is that they are so many options and places were you can move up and around. get settled in and just enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

With zero bus hoists, good luck with that. You might as well consider a parking lot.

I prefer an portable hoist option to be exact.

22 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Eglinton is junior and and probably the best place for you to request if you call back. the sooner the better. People ask to be close to home when they start.

Can you list the divisions from junior to senior? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, 21 Brimley said:

Can you list the divisions from junior to senior? Thanks.

On 2/9/2016 at 1:02 PM, FlyerD901 said:

Would this be accurate? Most senior to least:

Collectors

Wheel Trans

Subway YUS/BD always changing

Streetcars

Revenue

Malvern

Queensway

Bmount

Wilson

Arrow