TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Guys I just have to stick my nose in here where it does not belong.

Why the h*ll aren't you guys just thrilled that you actually got accepted for a job that you went after? Who cares if you have to eat exhaust, have 50-hour split shifts, have to get up at 3.30am, drive shitty routes,

have to go across town to get to your division, not see daylight or a weekend off for 5 years etc etc etc etc etc?

1) you applied for a job you think you are going to love and got accepted, and

2) unlike a lot of people in this city, you actually now HAVE A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!, and a good job!

What else matters? Isn't that good enough?

Guys I just have to stick my nose in here where it does not belong.

Why the h*ll aren't you guys just thrilled that you actually got accepted for a job that you went after? Who cares if you have to eat exhaust, have 50-hour split shifts, have to get up at 3.30am, drive shitty routes,

have to go across town to get to your division, not see daylight or a weekend off for 5 years etc etc etc etc etc?

1) you applied for a job you think you are going to love and got accepted, and

2) unlike a lot of people in this city, you actually now HAVE A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!, and a good job!

What else matters? Isn't that good enough?

Thank you!

You forgot Malvern have the NG hybrid. I have driven it several times. One thing I hate about them is that you can't down shift gear which is really useful when there is snow!

Um, there's no transmission on Hybrid, it's how you drive the bus carefully on the snow.

Guys I just have to stick my nose in here where it does not belong. Why the h*ll aren't you guys just thrilled that you actually got accepted for a job that you went after? Who cares if you have to eat exhaust, have 50-hour split shifts, have to get up at 3.30am, drive shitty routes, have to go across town to get to your division, not see daylight or a weekend off for 5 years etc etc etc etc etc? 1) you applied for a job you think you are going to love and got accepted, and 2) unlike a lot of people in this city, you actually now HAVE A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!, and a good job! What else matters? Isn't that good enough?

Its all good.........

Um, there's no transmission on Hybrid, it's how you drive the bus carefully on the snow.

The low gear in the non-hybrids does come in useful sometimes.

True Mount Dennis has some of the worst routes but the possibilty to move up very fast there is the best of all the divisions. It is possible to get weekends off in under 4 years....maybe even 3! Queensway and Malvern you are looking 10-15 years at the earliest before you see weekends. If you can drive Mount Dennis routes you can drive anywhere, I doubt some of the Queensway and Malvern operators could handle it.

You got that right. There are newbies now on the boards, (spare, vacation, etc,.) already getting not only weekends but really good work. Yeah, they are laughing all the way to the bank. After the Master, most of the Queensway and Arrow guys couldn't get out of Dennis fast enough because of the routes, relief points, etc,. Most admitted they couldn't hack it. Guess that's what you call separating the best from the rest.

In the suburban areas its harder to take your mirror off on a pole because they are setback far enough from the curb. At Malvern there are very few poles close enough to wack without mounting the sidewalk but that doesn't mean the driving is easy. At Malvern most routes run on major 6 lane roads with large intersections and higher speed limits. The accident rate in the northeast part of the city is the highest in the GTA save Brampton.

If you can pass training you should be able to drive anywhere.

In the suburban areas its harder to take your mirror off on a pole because they are setback far enough from the curb. At Malvern there are very few poles close enough to wack without mounting the sidewalk but that doesn't mean the driving is easy. At Malvern most routes run on major 6 lane roads with large intersections and higher speed limits. The accident rate in the northeast part of the city is the highest in the GTA save Brampton.

True enough, every division has some bad routes.

I'm on day 5 of training. I'm finding it a bit stressful, and I'm at the point where I just want the end to be near! On Day #2, I drove into Warden Subway station! DAY 2! I'm doing my 7 Bus Airbrake Checks tomorrow, and, even though I feel i know them, my instructor is so picky on the wording. I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree with williampaul above: Why the h*ll aren't you guys just thrilled that you actually got accepted for a job that you went after? I am thrilled; however, I do find this training a bit stressful..... I know, I know... I should toughen up and stop whining!

I thought I'd get "The Call" this week for sure but alas I am still waiting. I am anxious to start my new career. Hopefully I'll get called soon!! And by "The Call" I mean the call to start training. :)

Can anyone please tell me if TTC give you a interview date on the day of the phone interview, are they will call you back a next day with a interview date?

If you pass the phone interview they give you the in-person interview date on the same call.

During my summer student bus training way back eons ago, after the first time ever driving a bus around the yard at Hillcrest on Day 1, the second day we had to drive a Gray Coach bus on the highway to Hamilton and back, and on the third day we drove trolley coaches around and had to figure out how to make turns without dewiring. Everyone survived and passed.

I know a story of someone who felt like t4k who found training really stressful and wanted out, but got over it and ended up working at the TTC for 29 years.

You will be all right.too.

that mean that i failed it then, she told me that they are going to review my files and if they need me they will call me within two weeks, one week is already gone

I thought I'd get "The Call" this week for sure but alas I am still waiting. I am anxious to start my new career. Hopefully I'll get called soon!! And by "The Call" I mean the call to start training. :)

If you pass the phone interview they give you the in-person interview date on the same call.

so everyone who got a interview, got the face interview date on that call?

They gave us a paper at the info session that says if you are successful after the phone interview and after a final review of your application, you will be invited to attend a face interview.

I'm on day 5 of training. I'm finding it a bit stressful, and I'm at the point where I just want the end to be near! On Day #2, I drove into Warden Subway station! DAY 2! I'm doing my 7 Bus Airbrake Checks tomorrow, and, even though I feel i know them, my instructor is so picky on the wording. I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree with williampaul above: Why the h*ll aren't you guys just thrilled that you actually got accepted for a job that you went after? I am thrilled; however, I do find this training a bit stressful..... I know, I know... I should toughen up and stop whining!
If you get the right instructor training is a breeze. Never been in Warden but try Lawrence Station at Yonge!

I pretty much disagree with the entire premise of the statement above. Do you work at Malvern Division to be capable of saying 10-15 years before weekends? Not likely. Secondly while some routes are narrower than others or have more poles, etc, does not mean any other Operator couldn't handle it based solely on their home division. That's like saying subway operators couldn't handle streetcar routes. I don't like to limit myself or others based on perception or heresay.

They don't call Queensway the country club or the retirement home just because all the operators are old there!

What about poles that actually lean in towards the road.......what the?!?!?!?

You got that right. There are newbies now on the boards, (spare, vacation, etc,.) already getting not only weekends but really good work. Yeah, they are laughing all the way to the bank. After the Master, most of the Queensway and Arrow guys couldn't get out of Dennis fast enough because of the routes, relief points, etc,. Most admitted they couldn't hack it. Guess that's what you call separating the best from the rest.

True, alot transfered in when the division opened to get better senority or were forced to transfer in due to their lack of senority but they were quick to transfer out when the first opportunuty came up. Alot of those operators are transfering back to their original divisions now. Queensway would be a shorter commute but I want weekends off and earliest finish, not gonna happen at Queensway. So I take the harder routes, lower class of passenger(I hope thats not offensive) and heavier loads, it makes me a better driver because of it and I love it! Enjoy the ride!

Entering Warden Station is easy. In fact I have to do it over 20 times each week. As long as you line up the bus properly you will be fine. It is stressful at first but once you pass the road test, it will be easy.

I went in for Documentation on Wednesday. Got Bus at Mount Dennis!! Anyone have any info about that division? How many operators, etc. My medical was November 13. So happy to finally get the call.

Over 700 operators. One of the biggest divisions. Tough routes. Refer to previous posts.

100% lousy hybrid buses too.

Not 100% lousy hybrids. The first gens aren't that bad. At the very least that sound cool. Somewhat akin to the 7900s in terms of the deeper exhaust sound, really great in tunnels! While I was there even a few of the garage workers expressed less of a dislike for the FGs over the NGs.