TTC Application Process

ericgu22

And never, ever act like a smartass in front of the instructor if you think you know everything! There has been candidates have been canned for doing it!

I have to agree what Bus_Medic says. Most people who aren't familiar when it comes to air brakes mechanical, most of the people failed cause they simply don't get it. The MTO does show the description but it's quite confusing cause it's not detailed enough and all over the page.

That's why the OSL wrote the air brakes book to simplify and detailing it for the better! So glad they did it!

or you can watch some of the air brake tutorial on youtube.

Does anyone know or guess how long it takes to be contacted after completing the medical portion? Phoned the recuiter to leave a message about police report as instructed but have not heard back as of yet. No acknowledgment that medical was good and they received my message.......just wait it out I guess.

Does anyone know or guess how long it takes to be contacted after completing the medical portion? Phoned the recuiter to leave a message about police report as instructed but have not heard back as of yet. No acknowledgment that medical was good and they received my message.......just wait it out I guess.

They contacted me 2 1/2 weeks after my medical and informed me of my start date.

3 1/2 weeks for me. Have they called your references? I imagine they already have your results and are just waiting until they have your official training date, as opposed to calling you, putting you on the holding pool, and having to call you again for start date.

For me, they didn't call until they had my start date (don't even know when or how long I was in the holding pool for), so perhaps you are currently just under the holding pool and they aren't bothering to call until everything is set up for your documentation -- just to get everything out of the way...maybe. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Finished day 6 today. The training has been more challenging than I had anticipated. It's going ok, but I wish I was comfortable with the driving already. I still lack the confidence to do the turns, particularly right ones, with some nice execution. I either do it too slow or quick and end up coming out to wide or close to the curb. It's not easy and a bit discouraging. The airbrakes stuff is completely foreign to me, but I've practically gotten a hang of the 7 airbrakes test, however, I am a bit concerned about the written airbrakes test happening later this week, and the supplemental airbrake test also. The handbook is complex in some parts, but I've been told that the quick-facts sheet is a great guide to pass the test, thanks to it being simplified.

Hey guys,

Finished day 6 today. The training has been more challenging than I had anticipated. It's going ok, but I wish I was comfortable with the driving already. I still lack the confidence to do the turns, particularly right ones, with some nice execution. I either do it too slow or quick and end up coming out to wide or close to the curb. It's not easy and a bit discouraging. The airbrakes stuff is completely foreign to me, but I've practically gotten a hang of the 7 airbrakes test, however, I am a bit concerned about the written airbrakes test happening later this week, and the supplemental airbrake test also. The handbook is complex in some parts, but I've been told that the quick-facts sheet is a great guide to pass the test, thanks to it being simplified.

Day 6? Have they started showing you alternate right turns yet? Right turns is where I had the most trouble in the course. I wasn't comfortable with right turns until my last day of divisional training.

Brakes are pretty simple, all you really need to know is those 7 checks. Did they give you the cue cards yet? Not much else to know other than heat and brake fade, and the slack adjusters. Its been so long since I touched a bus, I would probably fail the practical test myself. :unsure:

Day 6? Have they started showing you alternate right turns yet? Right turns is where I had the most trouble in the course. I wasn't comfortable with right turns until my last day of divisional training.

Brakes are pretty simple, all you really need to know is those 7 checks. Did they give you the cue cards yet? Not much else to know other than heat and brake fade, and the slack adjusters. Its been so long since I touched a bus, I would probably fail the practical test myself. :unsure:

I believe they will show you alternate turn on day 4. I cannnot remember exactly. Alternate turn is the hardest. It has to be right on the money or your back wheel will end up jumping over the curb. TTC will give you the cue cards on circle check and brake check on the first day. If they don't give it to you, don't worry. You can sometimes find the cue cards on the bus.

Good news for you Turle, you only have to do the practical test once but you are required to write the written test every 5 years. The practical test is pretty easy. Make sure you are able to identify the primary and secondary tank.

Is there a particular medical you need? I know to be a pilot you need a certified aviation professional to do the checks.

Also when applying to the TTC did you guys include a cover letter? I know it didn't ask for one.

Yes, there isa particular medical test as somebody pointed out already. Once again, TTC will arrange the first medical.

You don't have to put in a cover letter. It doesn't hurt to put one in along with a resume as long as it is relevant. That's what I did when i applied like a year ago.

I guess Im considered lucky.

I dropped off my resume July 1. By July 12, an invitation to the info session had been sent to me.

Are calculators on our phones allowed? ;) Who knows what kind of math/problem solving questions they're going to throw at me. I guess me needs to brush up on my Grade 6 math that I havn't used since...Grade 6. lol

I guess Im considered lucky.

I dropped off my resume July 1. By July 12, an invitation to the info session had been sent to me.

Are calculators on our phones allowed? ;) Who knows what kind of math/problem solving questions they're going to throw at me. I guess me needs to brush up on my Grade 6 math that I havn't used since...Grade 6. lol

don't worry they are piece of cake.

YAY!! ... wait why are we YAYing?

York Transit's first name is Wilson. Transporr is not refering to Wilson Division. It looks like TTC has a serious shortage of operators. I heard a hiring advertisement through the TTC PA system today. I cannot confirm this but it seems Wilson bus division has a shortage of bus drivers. So you are hired as a bus operator you are most likely assigned to the Wilson division.

I cannot confirm this but it seems Wilson bus division has a shortage of bus drivers. So you are hired as a bus operator you are most likely assigned to the Wilson division.

That explains why I am seeing 83s and Hybrids running on Ashtonbee Road with "Training Bus" on the destination sign in the past 2 months to date.

That explains why I am seeing 83s and Hybrids running on Ashtonbee Road with "Training Bus" on the destination sign in the past 2 months to date.

Saw a training bus at Dundas and Burnamthorpe yesterday, strange to see one that far west........

• 2 weeks later...