TTC Application Process

ericgu22

congrads. I don't know if the process has changed or not. When I went through this process, I had to get the medical and police check done before they call me back to complete the paperwork and measure me for the uniforms. After that the workforce team called me to tell me when and where I will start my training. The chance of getting into subway is extremly slim. Only one or two new hires out of like 20 people from my group made it to the subway division. Based on what I see, you are most likely assigned to either Wilson, Birchmount or Eglinton.

I'll take it...lol.

Thanks for the details. This forum is great.....

I had put my application in on April 10th. Went to the information session on April 30. Phone interview was May 7th and the in-person interview was May 14th with the medical scheduled for May 17th. I will not complain about which mode they give me, however, I am a little hesitant about subway. Heard it was very difficult.

Subway is okay. As long as you follow the rules, there is no problem. Streetcar is the hardest IMO. Ding ding crash. Streetcar is love or hate, no middle ground.

With bus, you have to worry about your licence, collect fares, other drivers, other operators ***king around, onboards, mirrors and poles/signs/trees ... There really isn't much on subway to worry about, other than staying awake.

Is it that bad? lol or the tunnels make you feel like sleeping.

I would take subway over the others - The signals are interesting and would love to communicate with control. Just worried I will trip. :unsure:

So if your train Malfunctions during rush hour, you'll be facing the Music (Passengers) and they will out number you big time! That's one of the reasons why I do not want to do the Subway should I go through the recruitment process. Your workload would double as a Subway Operator.

So if your train Malfunctions during rush hour, you'll be facing the Music (Passengers) and they will out number you big time! That's one of the reasons why I do not want to do the Subway should I go through the recruitment process. Your workload would double as a Subway Operator.

I guess we will have no say. They will put us where ever needed. Either way, glad to have the opportunity to work at the TTC.

Yes, but when your train malfunctions, a response is dispatched right away to come and help you out (the subway is the main priority - no pun intended), the same can't be said for the surface. Many an operator has to kick people off the dead bus, and then wait an hour or two for a change off, or for a supervisor to come pull the vault only to tell then that they have to ride the cushions back to the division.

Is it that bad? lol or the tunnels make you feel like sleeping.

I would take subway over the others - The signals are interesting and would love to communicate with control. Just worried I will trip. :unsure:

You won't trip under normal circumstances if you are paying attention.

You are far more likely to get assaulted as a surface operator. There really is no such thing as a "work load" on subway. It doesn't matter how many people you carry, the job is the same. Just takes a little longer to service the platforms. The biggest problem down there with equipment is doors, and those are a piece of cake to sort out. You just have to know how to get people to move out of your way so you can barricade/isolate them. Ignore the one passenger who wants to start an argument with you, and it goes smoothly.

Yes, but when your train malfunctions, a response is dispatched right away to come and help you out (the subway is the main priority - no pun intended), the same can't be said for the surface. Many an operator has to kick people off the dead bus, and then wait an hour or two for a change off, or for a supervisor to come pull the vault only to tell then that they have to ride the cushions back to the division.

The train crew is the immediate response. You aren't fixing anything, or administering first aid to anybody, just there to get the train moving as quickly and safely as possible. It's fun to couple two trains together. The biggest deal on subway is your "partner", because if you get some dummy you're stuck with that dummy for 4-6 weeks (2 weeks at Christmas).

Breakdowns on bus is not a big deal. Unless the bus is on fire, if a person doesn't want to leave, let them sit there and rot until the supervisor arrives. Just tell cis about it, and it isn't your problem. Riding the cushions back to the division is fun. Shute, if they tell me that I have to sit and wait for and hour for a changeoff on the street, that is an hour out of my day that I'm not working. I can sit and stare at the sky for 8 hours if I have to.

You won't trip under normal circumstances if you are paying attention.

You are far more likely to get assaulted as a surface operator. There really is no such thing as a "work load" on subway. It doesn't matter how many people you carry, the job is the same. Just takes a little longer to service the platforms. The biggest problem down there with equipment is doors, and those are a piece of cake to sort out. You just have to know how to get people to move out of your way so you can barricade/isolate them. Ignore the one passenger who wants to start an argument with you, and it goes smoothly.

The train crew is the immediate response. You aren't fixing anything, or administering first aid to anybody, just there to get the train moving as quickly and safely as possible. It's fun to couple two trains together. The biggest deal on subway is your "partner", because if you get some dummy you're stuck with that dummy for 4-6 weeks (2 weeks at Christmas).

Breakdowns on bus is not a big deal. Unless the bus is on fire, if a person doesn't want to leave, let them sit there and rot until the supervisor arrives. Just tell cis about it, and it isn't your problem. Riding the cushions back to the division is fun. Shute, if they tell me that I have to sit and wait for and hour for a changeoff on the street, that is an hour out of my day that I'm not working. I can sit and stare at the sky for 8 hours if I have to.

I am quite sure the TTC won't hire a dummy and if so, they won't last! just sayin'

On 5/16/2012 at 12:20 AM, NeOn Bus Rider said:

-

Shut the door of your cab - peace and quiet ;)

I could see that passengers giving you dirty looks! lol

I hear that they measure you for the uniforms. What about shoes? Do you have to wear work boat/shoe?

I would imagine that they would provide Uniforms free of charge. You would have to provide your own shoes - Loafers would work unless they give you a cash incentive or corporate discount to a special store.

I could see that passengers giving you dirty looks! lol

I would imagine that they would provide Uniforms free of charge. You would have to provide your own shoes - Loafers would work unless they give you a cash incentive or corporate discount to a special store.

Like fast food restaurants, you get the uniforms free of charge. Yes, you have to provide your own shoes but they have to be dress shoes not running shoes :(. There is no discount on getting shoes.

Contrary to popular belief, the change off can take as little as half an hour. Depends on the problem, supervisors may ask the drivers to continue their journey with the defective bus.

Yeah, I hear that if you apply for a B class licence in late August, early September, it can take about a month and a half like up to 6 weeks! lol

Do you mean the training? This whole process from sending application to medical has been 5 weeks.Got a conditional contract at interview. just waiting for criminal check so a training date can be set. I just want to get started..lol

Do you mean the training? This whole process from sending application to medical has been 5 weeks.Got a conditional contract at interview. just waiting for criminal check so a training date can be set. I just want to get started..lol

if you want to get a head start, start reading materials about air brake.

It's fine as long as you breakdown close to a Tim Horton's or other restaurant. Waiting 2hours in the middle of nowhere with a full bladder isn't fun at all.

I am not sure about the TTC's training but I know for sure when you apply for the B class license (for those who drive school buses would know what I am talking about) the Drive Test people would initiate the Criminal Search in which the Ontario Government does the search. It usually takes 2 weeks as they also search with the RCMP and Interpol. People who apply as a School Bus Driver usually begin their training in mid August. That's when the wait becomes longer. If the TTC has a similar process (in which I think they do) you may look at waiting for at least minimum 2 weeks to 6 weeks. It even sucks if your name becomes a match cuz you would have to be finger printed just to clear yourself from the other matches. That can take a little longer.

I am not sure about the TTC's training but I know for sure when you apply for the B class license (for those who drive school buses would know what I am talking about) the Drive Test people would initiate the Criminal Search in which the Ontario Government does the search. It usually takes 2 weeks as they also search with the RCMP and Interpol. People who apply as a School Bus Driver usually begin their training in mid August. That's when the wait becomes longer. If the TTC has a similar process (in which I think they do) you may look at waiting for at least minimum 2 weeks to 6 weeks. It even sucks if your name becomes a match cuz you would have to be finger printed just to clear yourself from the other matches. That can take a little longer.

Thank you for the details.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my interview and was hired. Just waiting on my medical, criminal and reference checks. Not sure how long this will take, but I assume it will be a few months before I start training.

Did they give you the offer right away after the interview? I had my interview last week and they just asked me to sign the authorize reference check sheet only and the phone number with voicemail. Is my chnace slim?