TTC Application Process

ericgu22

"However they did say during the interview that they would get in touch regardless of whether i got the job or not"

Yes that is what they told me also but I cant imagine why they would wait this long to say no......I just hoping they are waiting to see how many operators they will need in the new year????maybe wishfull thinking on my part.

I know they say not to call them and all, but it may be worth a try...just to put your mind at ease. there could of been some clerical mix-up

Who else has an interview coming up for the TTC Operator positions?

I do :(

I have completed 6 job shadowing routes so far including the night ones and all the operators were very nice and helpful. I heard that it used to be that minimum of 10 routes which was changed to 5 'cus the interview responses become repetitive. I find even 5 to be a lot, not because it's hard to do but for the same reason of being repetitive responses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the operators at all. I think there should be 3 maximum including bus, train and street car. But again this is what I feel. I am still going to do probably couple of more routes just 'cus it will look better on my side. :P

I do :(

I have completed 6 job shadowing routes so far including the night ones and all the operators were very nice and helpful. I heard that it used to be that minimum of 10 routes which was changed to 5 'cus the interview responses become repetitive. I find even 5 to be a lot, not because it's hard to do but for the same reason of being repetitive responses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the operators at all. I think there should be 3 maximum including bus, train and street car. But again this is what I feel. I am still going to do probably couple of more routes just 'cus it will look better on my side. :P

Why 3 maximum? Those 2 blue night routes are required to feel what is like in case if your doing those route. And people think Subway is easy job, just wait till you feel the training if TTC puts you in the position!

Having 5 routes max is good enough, unless you want to explore more areas throughout the borough so you know the location better!

I had to do 10 routes back in august, now they changed it to 5 routes....all the responses were approximately the same except maybe some personal experiences. I have been on the job for 2 months, things are slow until January I heard...

oh cool, any tips for face to face interview ? i know i can do this job well but during the interview anxiety builds up and I just get very nervous.I'm afraid that it may get in the way of me getting the job offer :(

Why 3 maximum? Those 2 blue night routes are required to feel what is like in case if your doing those route. And people think Subway is easy job, just wait till you feel the training if TTC puts you in the position!

Having 5 routes max is good enough, unless you want to explore more areas throughout the borough so you know the location better!

5 routes minimum not maximum :) And I don't think they would consider hiring a person who did the minimum. Completing at least couple of more looks good on our side ;)

5 routes minimum not maximum :) And I don't think they would consider hiring a person who did the minimum. Completing at least couple of more looks good on our side :(

That's what I meant, but if you do more, the better they are impress how much you've explore the entire Toronto area!

I was talking with a young guy last night, he's got 8 months in, & feels that the training did not go nearly far enough or in depth enough, He is a Streetcar operator, & he even admitted that when he first started he was afraid of the streetcars, he used to literally bag for 'switch man' spots, & he feels that he was 'thrown to the wolves' when first starting.. He definitely wanted more training, he's ok now, but still feels under-trained to a certain degree, he Wanted to go Bus, but was sent to Russell.

oh cool, any tips for face to face interview ? i know i can do this job well but during the interview anxiety builds up and I just get very nervous.I'm afraid that it may get in the way of me getting the job offer :(

Just be yourself, be on time for the interview, be relaxed and happy, and wear a suit.

Oh yeah, think of good answers to typical interview questions like "Why do you want to work here?", "What do you see yourself doing in the next 5 years?", ... They will probably ask you what mode you would prefer, but remember they like flexibility.

here you go, and good luck.

- your job shadowing assignment

-2 copies of your updated resume

-drivers licence and sin

-drivers abstract

-high school diploma, both original and copy

-original and copy of reference letters from current or previous employer

-names and telephone numbers of references

I know that you guys are chatting about the Operator Positions, but I am wondering if anybody (on this thread or browsing through this thread) got called for the Coach Technician Apprenticeship Position to do the Aptitude test and have completed it? I have done the test and it was easy as pie. Out of the 500 people who showed up to do the test the TTC is only hiring 10 out of the 500. If anybody gets called next month for please advise on the interview process. Thanks!

I finished my assignment I did 10 routes. I did a community bus, the night and day streetcar,subway,tinge,danforth blue nights and couple other...it was a simple assignment

When is your interview? What is tinge?

Just thinking about the spot you're in right now...I still remember the day I went for my interview, and the night I was out riding the vomit comit and monkey train. Btw, don't call them that in the interview.

The guy on the 320 was absolutely stressed out. There were 3 of us trying to do rides at the same time, and he just told us to take a seat if we could find one, and watch, no talking!

The guy on the queen car was great. New guy at the time with about 8 months on, really good with people, and patient. He also had a couple of us on. I also remember the Royal York guy I did, no worries, a couple months from retirement, big grin on his face.

Job is great if you can handle it. If you can't it'll destroy your life. Long hours away from family, monotony, joint/back/prostate/... problems, no breaks if you're doing a late relief on surface, people giving you crap for using the can when you need to go, people expecting you to be a cop/paramedic/firefighter when none of those are in your job description, pressure from poor scheduling that hasn't been updated since before you were born, having to give directions to somebody who doesn't understand you while trying to manoeuvre a 30000lb vehicle through rush hour traffic. Timing points. Coworkers who don't give a crap and can get away with murder, but you get reamed for being +4 by accident.

Oh yeah, forgot about whatever you do on the road affects your personal licence.

Other than that, it's good. :mellow:

I was talking with a young guy last night, he's got 8 months in, & feels that the training did not go nearly far enough or in depth enough, He is a Streetcar operator, & he even admitted that when he first started he was afraid of the streetcars, he used to literally bag for 'switch man' spots, & he feels that he was 'thrown to the wolves' when first starting.. He definitely wanted more training, he's ok now, but still feels under-trained to a certain degree, he Wanted to go Bus, but was sent to Russell.

reminds me of when i was hired to fix computers, the only training i received from them was a video on static electricity device (obvious a big deal in that line of work) and then i was partnered with a technician who, while doing his own workload, taught 4 of us how to disassemble a laptop (i had taken one apart once, but didnt know what i as doing, fortunely it was old one from my dads work that was going to be thrown out anyways, the hard drive was dead and i kept it for awhile before getting rid of it ) god i enjoyed that job, it was stressful with how many machines you had to do in a day but it was fun taking things apart and fixing them......sadly the company didnt know what it was doing and had to let go alot of people go (myself included) but im getting away off topic.......

I know that you guys are chatting about the Operator Positions, but I am wondering if anybody (on this thread or browsing through this thread) got called for the Coach Technician Apprenticeship Position to do the Aptitude test and have completed it? I have done the test and it was easy as pie. Out of the 500 people who showed up to do the test the TTC is only hiring 10 out of the 500. If anybody gets called next month for please advise on the interview process. Thanks!

I know several people who have gone through the apprenticeship program. If you are called for an interview you did well on the testing. It is almost guaranteed you will be waiting three to six months before being called for an interview so don't be discouraged if you do not hear from them before this summer. Good Luck!

I know several people who have gone through the apprenticeship program. If you are called for an interview you did well on the testing. It is almost guaranteed you will be waiting three to six months before being called for an interview so don't be discouraged if you do not hear from them before this summer. Good Luck!

Figures! They also said the same thing. I'll just hold out on my remaining 71/2 months left in my Truck Coach program. Thanks!