Vancouver Special Sightings

Enviro 500

1 hour ago, Thomasw said:

Spotted 16118 on a 49 this morning.

Apparently it’s on an all day run. 

What is with all of the Richmond 40 footers going on 60 foot runs. Is there some sort of attic shortage at RTC

An all day run with a 40 footer on the 49 has occurred before, 7442 was the last to do several years back IIRC

No, there is not

1 hour ago, ThomasW97 said:

An all day run with a 40 footer on the 49 has occurred before, 7442 was the last to do several years back IIRC

No, there is not

I don't quite understand your logic. So if it's not the first time a particular type of bus is on a route, it's not a special sighting? Let's say an Orion appears on the 480, is it not considered a special sighting because one has already appeared on it a few years ago? 

42 minutes ago, SkyTrain said:

I don't quite understand your logic. So if it's not the first time a particular type of bus is on a route, it's not a special sighting? Let's say an Orion appears on the 480, is it not considered a special sighting because one has already appeared on it a few years ago? 

To me, i just don't feel a specific event is "special" anymore since its already occurred. Its like Similar to how theres a mix of E40lfrs that do the 10 on a daily basis

1 hour ago, ThomasW97 said:

To me, i just don't feel a specific event is "special" anymore since its already occurred. Its like Similar to how theres a mix of E40lfrs that do the 10 on a daily basis

I guess we must clarify within the scope of things:

16118 is on the 49. Since the 49 gradually shifted towards full artic operation, 40fts of any kind have been harder and harder to find (outside the HTC school trip).

This occurrence of 7442 might be considered "special" relative to the past 3 or 4 years. Same with Orions on C92/412 after HTC opened - relatively rare in the last 3 years, but almost guaranteed before then.

8 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Spotted 16118 on a 49 this morning.

Apparently it’s on an all day run. 

What is with all of the Richmond 40 footers going on 60 foot runs. Is there some sort of attic shortage at RTC

TL has apparently said that they want to stop running the D60LFs with luggage racks on the 49. Therefore, they need to start running the forty-foot busses because apparently they still can't get it right ?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 8:42 PM, bob32189 said:

TL has apparently said that they want to stop running the D60LFs with luggage racks on the 49. Therefore, they need to start running the forty-foot busses because apparently they still can't get it right ?

The whole D60LF fleet has taken quite a beating, honestly. A lot of agencies have retired their contemporaries much earlier, and here we are trying to stretch their working lives to 20 years...

I was actually quite surprised they decided to put luggage racks a few of them rather than on a new bus... but I suppose it makes more sense to do that when you're still testing it out and haven't committed to the idea; if they turn out to be lemons, they can probably be thrown out earlier.

In fact, I still strongly think that TransLink should have a sub-fleet of articulated buses under the ExpressBus brand that have luggage racks or are otherwise more suited to suburban runs. And yes, we should be receiving double-deckers for ExpressBus very soon, but there are trade-offs:

• Stairs. Everyone hates stairs. Especially with luggage. And I know Victoria manages to get away with it. But still... who wants to climb stairs after a long and tiring day?
  • On the other hand, they do take up less space on the road, so there is that.

The reason Victoria “gets away with it” is because the provincial fleet doesn’t have artics at all, so a subfleet of artics for the #70 and other similar routes would be ridiculously expensive from a perspective of economies of scale. TransLink doesn’t have that problem, because it uses artics widely on urban routes.

15 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:
  • Stairs. Everyone hates stairs. Especially with luggage. And I know Victoria manages to get away with it. But still... who wants to climb stairs after a long and tiring day?
  • On the other hand, they do take up less space on the road, so there is that.

I do realise that this is going outside the discourse of this thread, but I used to live in the UK where most of the busses are double-decker, and I can say from my own experience that no one cares about stairs on busses unless they have rather heavy luggage or shopping. I (and basically everyone else) would go straight to the top immediately upon entry to the bus because of the much greater multitude of seats on the upper deck, even with as much as a carry-on size suitcase.

16 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

In fact, I still strongly think that TransLink should have a sub-fleet of articulated buses under the ExpressBus brand that have luggage racks or are otherwise more suited to suburban runs

This is a good idea except for the fact that the majority of TL's articulated units are hybrids, which aren't suited for suburban runs. TL could of course order some XD60s or LFS Artics, but until that happens we should keep our eyes on the incoming double-deckers.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:34 AM, GORDOOM said:

The reason Victoria “gets away with it” is because the provincial fleet doesn’t have artics at all, so a subfleet of artics for the #70 and other similar routes would be ridiculously expensive from a perspective of economies of scale. TransLink doesn’t have that problem, because it uses artics widely on urban routes.

Has Translink ever considered having double decks on urban routes as well as suburban routes?

15 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Didnt we discuss the issue of trolley wires years ago?

http://www.trans-continental.ca/vancouver/demonstrators/Enviro500Demo/

Your 2nd point about loading is valid, so I'll give it that.

The only urban route I can think of that could potentially use double deckers is the 5/6, the most loading/unloading that takes place is at Davie @ Denman and the 4-5 SkyTrain stations it serves. The route is also very busy and can't use artics due to sharp turns along the route. While I do agree that they are not ideal for urban routes, they are better than not being able to increase capacity at all. I suppose they could also be used on routes such as the 210 that are regional connectors and somewhat-express services with the load/unload only stops.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

The only urban route I can think of that could potentially use double deckers is the 5/6, the most loading/unloading that takes place is at Davie @ Denman and the 4-5 SkyTrain stations it serves. The route is also very busy and can't use artics due to sharp turns along the route.

The headways are only 5'00" peak and 7'30" off-peak. There's plenty of room to impose parking restrictions, etc. as transit-priority measures and then increase frequencies.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

I suppose they could also be used on routes such as the 210 that are regional connectors and somewhat-express services with the load/unload only stops.

IOW basically the way the Orion Vs were running back in the day. I agree 100%.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:36 AM, Millennium2002 said:

Stairs. Everyone hates stairs. Especially with luggage. And I know Victoria manages to get away with it. But still... who wants to climb stairs after a long and tiring day?

On the flip side, once you get up there you're guaranteed a seat. (IIRC no standees allowed up there.)

• Like 1