Vancouver Special Sightings

Enviro 500

On 9/11/2017 at 6:45 PM, Michael Marriott said:

Movie bus, I saw it go by my workplace on Main St several times.

Either 7127 or 7148 right? They were purchased by 911 Filmcars and Mammoth Studios, respectively

No relation to the 7230 BC Transit bought back (it's scrapped now so there's no way it would be on the road), that's all I know

18 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

From last Wednesday, Interurban car 1231 being loaded up at Olympic Village to be transported to Cloverdale.

November 2017-2-Tram 016.JPG

This event could mean one of two things. Either:

1. Vancouver could be clearing its old rolling stock so that it can upgrade the streetcar network, which would mean obtaining new vehicles, whether it's the old-fashioned type or sleek, low-floor vehicles like the Flexity cars that plied the line in the Olympic Line demonstration project nearly eight years ago. But not a single proposal survived the chopping block, and there hasn't been any media coverage for quite a few years now, which makes this a near-impossible situation and which would almost certainly mean that:
  2. The city is getting rid of the streetcar entirely. This is a pity, considering that patronage was good in its heyday and was only bolstered by the Olympic Line, which for many of us was a vision for the creation of a full-scale, modern network akin to Portland and Seattle next door, which would have been a first in Canada. Next thing, they might tear up the tracks and possibly redevelop the land and right-of-way, leaving no traces that streetcars have been running in that area into the 21st century.

6 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

That's the St. George's school bus...

It was using the 49's stop and arrived at the time the 49 was supposed to, so I'd like to know more then. Doesn't St George's have it's own buses though? The passengers getting on didn't look like St. George's students but i believe you

1 minute ago, Phillip said:

Is that a 72 passenger school bus? I've never drove a flat-front school bus. I've drove Freightliner and Saf-t-liner C2 schools buses, fun to drive :) 

Negative, that's a 56/84 passenger bus, in fact that particular bus happens to be the one I drove at Thirdwave on a regular basis during the spring and summer of 2011, when I worked there as a charter driver.

I'm not a big fan of the Thomas C2. Of the conventional school buses that I've driven, the International/IC CE is by far and away my favourite. I find the visibility superior to that of the C2 and the dashboard layout is much more intuitive. I only ever drove a Blue Bird Vision once, and though I liked how it drove, I found the driver's area to be quite cramped. Not exactly ideal for tall people like me - I kept banging my right knee against the steering column.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

It was using the 49's stop and arrived at the time the 49 was supposed to, so I'd like to know more then. Doesn't St George's have it's own buses though? The passengers getting on didn't look like St. George's students but i believe you

St. Georges has its own buses, but they only use them for charters. The regular school routes are contracted out to Thirdwave and AVISPA.

I also confirmed that bus #200 was running the New West/49th route this morning. (I know the driver who has had that route since 2013.)

There is another route that runs along 41st. It originates at Burnaby Village Museum and goes via Deer Lake, Moscrop, Joyce, 41st all the way to Dunbar.

49 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

St. Georges has its own buses, but they only use them for charters. The regular school routes are contracted out to Thirdwave and AVISPA.

I also confirmed that bus #200 was running the New West/49th route this morning. (I know the driver who has had that route since 2013.)

There is another route that runs along 41st. It originates at Burnaby Village Museum and goes via Deer Lake, Moscrop, Joyce, 41st all the way to Dunbar.

That's pretty cool then. I learn something new everyday

1 hour ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Awesome. Is there a place we can see school bus routes? I guess it may appear really creepy, but it would be interesting nonetheless to know where the school buses are coming and going lol.

5 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Negative, that's a 56/84 passenger bus, in fact that particular bus happens to be the one I drove at Thirdwave on a regular basis during the spring and summer of 2011, when I worked there as a charter driver.

I'm not a big fan of the Thomas C2. Of the conventional school buses that I've driven, the International/IC CE is by far and away my favourite. I find the visibility superior to that of the C2 and the dashboard layout is much more intuitive. I only ever drove a Blue Bird Vision once, and though I liked how it drove, I found the driver's area to be quite cramped. Not exactly ideal for tall people like me - I kept banging my right knee against the steering column.

Ah yes the Blue Bird Visions; I remember driving those both old and new models. It is indeed cramped, drove the International/IC too, not my favourite but I don't mind driving those. 

I drove for Golden Arrow charter/school bus Edmonton prior to starting with Edmonton Transit. It was always fun to drive school runs with K-G9 kids :) the good old days!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

My friend sent me a pic of the first RTC 410 in over a year. She said it was around 9:30 this morning.

photo 1.JPG

Highway 91 was closed since early this morning and 410s were split at Brighouse. I guess RTC took over the steveston portion to prevent HTC buses getting stuck in Richmond running (-60).

Looks like theyre back to service now. 

I wanna guess that these are 49s doing overtime.

• Like 1