Vancouver Special Sightings

Enviro 500

Well, it's damn lucky that the abandoned bus just happened to be carrying a new ad-wrap for shutterbugs to photograph, but it means there's a 98 missing for 4 hours.

Was it broke, or did the driver quit :rolleyes:

V7285 on rt.496: (Mexico ad-wrap)

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p40952499.html

So you did end up waiting for it. B)

Anyways, here's one to try and wrap your head around. One of the Surrey '89 Classics was out waaaaay past its bedtime tonight. From the don't-ask-why-I-was-in-that-place-at-that-time file: at 12:15 am, at the corner of Nordel Way and 112 St, I spotted 4168 heading northbound signed up as a 312 Scott Road Station! I couldn't see anybody on board, but then again there was virtually nobody on the road either... and even if it wasn't in service, it couldn't have finished service more than half an hour prior. Why on earth was it still out?

How about THIS for a big oops? B) Today at UBC, freshly refurbished V7178 showed up driven by a couple of mechanics, I presume they were BTC shop guys because the inside of the bus was still not in useable shape. And they made one hell of a wrong turn? Who can identify the exact spot where this picture was taken?

7178freshxl0.jpg

How about THIS for a big oops? B) Today at UBC, freshly refurbished V7178 showed up driven by a couple of mechanics, I presume they were BTC shop guys because the inside of the bus was still not in useable shape. And they made one hell of a wrong turn? Who can identify the exact spot where this picture was taken?

7178freshxl0.jpg

Lucky bastard! :blink:

Anyway........my luck wasn't too bad at all today!

B7470 on rt.332, seen loading passengers at Surrey Central Station...............Surrey is always full of surprises, and it never disappoints me!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p40977787.html

Enjoy!

Dave

B7470 on rt.332, seen loading passengers at Surrey Central Station...............Surrey is always full of surprises, and it never disappoints me!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p40977787.html

Enjoy!

Dave

Thank god someone got that photo. My family was at the North Surrey rec center and my mom said she saw a BRAND new bus that looked like the buses in Maple Ridge (That's what she says since she doesn't understand what a C40LFR is :lol: ). So I then asked did it have a big roof? She said no but said the fleet number was B74--. I guess when they were leaving the rec center they were saying how I'd be all freaked out about this :)

Anyways nice shot and even better luck

Well...

2191 broke down at Howe and Robson. (17)

2116 broke down at Pender and Hamilton. (7)

And 2114 broke down at 29th Avenue Station. (16)

2220 was "SPECIAL", presumably maintenace testing.

Oh, and something that (hopefully) didn't break down, 3172 on a 311 PM tripper.

wow... so many new trolley breakdowns... looks like the old problems with the new trolleys haven't been fixed yet... sigh...

and, related to trolleys, some person on The Province commented that the trolleys and the new hydrogen buses were "a waste of taxpayer's money" because they cost more than diesel buses. Personally, no offence but I would like to see that same person breathing the gases from the exhaust pipe of a diesel bus so he can understand why the trolleys and hydrogen buses are good investments. (remember about being environmentally-friendly and green these days?) Anybody agree with me?

however, there was a lot of criticism regarding the new hydrogen buses coming to Whistler, mainly due to cost.

- Allan K.

R7106 has been loaned to Poco and was spotted on the 160 this morning.

I could swear to God that I saw S4269 on the 301 this afternoon.

Am I finally going round the bend? I think so... but I'm sure that suburban Classic was working a 301.

*EDIT* Crap, nobody remembered to mention that 3244 has gone to NVTC. Saw it parked there yesterday afternoon and then deadheading downtown in the PM rush. I really need my sleep... need to restore my sanity. Maybe tomorrow B7470 will show up on the 301...

R7106 has been loaned to Poco and was spotted on the 160 this morning.

I could swear to God that I saw S4269 on the 301 this afternoon.

Am I finally going round the bend? I think so... but I'm sure that suburban Classic was working a 301.

*EDIT* Crap, nobody remembered to mention that 3244 has gone to NVTC. Saw it parked there yesterday afternoon and then deadheading downtown in the PM rush. I really need my sleep... need to restore my sanity. Maybe tomorrow B7470 will show up on the 301...

3250 is also back to NVTC

Dave

Took a brief spin up to Airport Station this afternoon.

P8053 was on 2/620. I must say I'm having a hard time understanding recent fleet movements. Poco is short of buses and is receiving loaners from other garages - 7106 from RTC, 7281 and a couple of 2000 D40LFs from BTC - so why on earth would they take a bus from BTC and then send it over to RTC? :lol:

Did not spot anything else particularly notable today.

Not a sighting really, but did anyone hear about, or see on the news, about a guy who spat on a Vancouver driver and the driver chased him down and spat back at him. Apparently this was on the National news two days ago and on local news yesterday ?

Yup, check out this topic for news stories, videos and discussion of the incident.

I did a full BTC check today, but upon checking back on this topic, it would appear that I completely forgot to post the notes from my BTC check on May 5! My apologies for this oversight. I think I was in dreamland for most of last week and as a result failed to get down to business.

So. Backlog time.

BTC - MAY 5 2007

PAINTSHOP: one unidentified sweep D40LF

EAST WALL: B8001, R8065

SOUTH FENCE: B7409, V7210, R9253, N3148, P4227

PARKED OUTSIDE REPAIR BAYS: P4204, P4240

IN REPAIR: B7427, V7178* S7366, N3254, V7221*, V7187*, N3176

* Denotes fresh refurb

Now for today's stuff.

BTC - MAY 10 2007

PAINTSHOP: V7207*

EAST WALL: B8046, R8065

BEHIND PAINTSHOP: V7290 (stripped of paint, bodywork appears complete)

IN BODY SHOP: V7228(only one visible, appears stripped down)

SOUTH FENCE: V7210, S7324*, 2178, V7185*, S7322*, B7427

PARKED OUTSIDE REPAIR BAYS: N3148

IN REPAIR: B7409, R9253, S7366, V7221*, V7187*, N3176, B3014, unidentified D60LF (probably B8001)

As always, * Denotes fresh refurb

So, a few things to take up from these notes:

Those three Poco Classics that were there on May 5 have all disappeared. I checked OTC (will post findings in retirements thread) but didn't see them. I don't know why all three of them would go to BTC and then suddenly disappear. I suppose they could have gone home... but the whole thing seems a bit ominous.

V7172 is gone, and if it's not sighted in service in the near future then I'm going to assume it's followed 7207 and company into refurb land. It went into the repair bays, and then came out again, but sat at the south fence for a short while and I don't know where it's got to.

S7322 is the third fresh STC refurb, one I didn't know about. S7311 has disappeared. I don't know if it's still in the shop, or whether it's gone home. After all, there was an unidentified D40LF in the paintshop on May 5... but David was with me and he was of the opinion it was an STC coach, so it was likely 7322. Bottom line is, Surrey people, please post here if you see S7311 because it may well be back in service!

7178 is gone, so it's probably back in service by now - after all, I did see it road testing last week. My notes from May 5th were taken the day after I spotted it road testing at UBC, and now it's gone so it's presumably back at VTC.

Next refurbs to return to VTC will likely be 7221 and 7187 (I hope, because 7187 has been gone for an eternity!). Following those, 7185, 7207 and 7290, in that order, but that is wild speculation, and I'd be getting way ahead of myself if I were to guarantee that. :(