Jump to content
Chao-Hwa Chen

Broward County Transit Bus Update

Recommended Posts

On 5/30/2019 at 9:12 AM, H4 5600 said:

although im not the person who posted those, it looks like they are based on what buses and paint schemes are in those pictures.

Also, you got some very nice shots @Buzz2kb. There arent that many pics around of the older BCT buses.

According to Wikipedia,

The Bee Line generation (ca. 2000–2006)

The Bee Line generation (not to be confused with Westchester County's Bee-Line Bus System) was introduced to the fleet in the early 2000s. During this time, they retired most of their older, high-floor buses and replaced them with a brand new fleet of low-floor buses,which were first delivered in 1997. All new buses ordered during this period and its current fleet were painted white with a yellow honeycomb pattern stripe applied to all sides of each bus. A cartoon bee character was also placed on each bus. But the character has since been removed on most of its fleet. The former livery was a split orange and blue stripe with no theme name. The previous livery was used from early 1980s until the late 90's.

 

The Breeze generation (2007-Present)

The Breeze generation was introduced in 2007 as 2 special limited-stop service routes following along U.S. 1 and S.R.7(HWY 441) from Northern Broward County all the way towards Northern Miami-Dade County. Broward County Transit introduced 6 New Flyer D60LFR articulated buses for service on the S.R.7(US 441) route. In addition the new buses, they also feature free Wi-Fi access to riders on this route. BCT has now added forty-Eight 40 ft (12 m). NABI 40-LFW buses to the fleet. All new buses ordered and soon most of its current fleet will or already have been painted in white with a large blue arc pointing forward and a small light blue arc (7 of the new buses delivered were painted in silver instead of white for The Breeze U.S. 1 limited stop service). Now in 2008 BCT ordered 42 newly restyled NABIs 40 ft (12 m) low-floor including 12 hybrid buses

 

 

BCT1.jpg

On 4/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, H4 5600 said:

most, if not all of the 2006 D60LFR's have now been retired.

When

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While these shots were taken in Orlando, 3917 here is a former BCT Phantom operating for Escot. Escot has several New Flyer D40LFs and Gillig Phantoms that once operated for BCT and are still running around to this day. These buses were originally survivors from the American Coach Lines and Horizon Coach Lines operations, who bought the buses from BCT originally. 

 

 

 

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 1:47 PM, Big CJ said:

While these shots were taken in Orlando, 3917 here is a former BCT Phantom operating for Escot. Escot has several New Flyer D40LFs and Gillig Phantoms that once operated for BCT and are still running around to this day. These buses were originally survivors from the American Coach Lines and Horizon Coach Lines operations, who bought the buses from BCT originally. 

 

 

 

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

Is that the 9600 series Gilligs and 9700 series New Flyer D40LF that were Retired in 2009 and they were the first low floor buses according to GP Bus Gallery website 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

BCT will apparently be buying 5 buses from BYD.

Which model

Did Broward County Getting the new Hybrid Gillig this year what has Pinellas Suncoast Transit authority spes yet

 

 

DSCN4538-A.jpg

img_20150912_120949.jpg

IMG_20181207_074722-A.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, Mitsubishi Fuso 6512 said:

Is this originally delivered in the Bee hive livery for Broward County Transit 

yes it was, the 05 nabis were the last buses to be delivered with the bee livery.

Anyways, it looks like the 2006 D60LFR's are retired. I went to the copans garage, and they were parked there with parts missing, with some retired gilligs.

IMG_20190727_162711_480.jpg

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 4:49 PM, H4 5600 said:

yes it was, the 05 nabis were the last buses to be delivered with the bee livery.

Anyways, it looks like the 2006 D60LFR's are retired. I went to the copans garage, and they were parked there with parts missing, with some retired gilligs.

IMG_20190727_162711_480.jpg

Those had the C9 engines, so I imagine they were getting expensive to maintain.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 4:49 PM, H4 5600 said:

yes it was, the 05 nabis were the last buses to be delivered with the bee livery.

Anyways, it looks like the 2006 D60LFR's are refurbished in the breeze scheme. I went to the copans garage, and they were parked there with parts stolen, with some retired Gilligs from 1999-2003.

IMG_20190727_162711_480.jpg

Did Broward County Transit selling the 2006 D60LFR's for other operators in Florida or for spare parts 

According to GP Bus Gallery website, these were the first Articulated buses ever purchased by Broward County Transit and delivered in the breeze new current livery. 

On 7/29/2019 at 2:59 PM, alexb320 said:

Those had the C9 engines, so I imagine they were getting expensive to maintain

I know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got 0303 on the 72 last thursday (july 25th). Kind of rare for a gillig to be on 72, its almost always artics.

 

IMG_20190730_001024_308.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Video credit goes to Marcos A.R.  Bus 1807 has Full Calder Casino Wrap Ad with the Voith D864.6 Transmission. 

 

Bus 20001 is already at the Broward County Transit house. It has a BRT model front and standard rear like the 1800 series but has that hump on the front top like the MDT's 10101-10105 series. What he heard is about 146 Gilligs coming to the BCT fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mitsubishi Fuso 6512 said:

Bus 20001 is already at the Broward County Transit house. It has a BRT model front and standard rear like the 1800 series but has that hump on the front top like the MDT's 10101-10105 series. What he heard is about 146 Gilligs coming to the BCT fleet.

do you have a source on this, or any pics of 20001?

im not sure why they would order 146 buses, that seems like a lot for BCT. Im not sure what those would even replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

do you have a source on this, or any pics of 20001?

im not sure why they would order 146 buses, that seems like a lot for BCT. Im not sure what those would even replace.

They'll probably replace all remaining 2002-03 Gillig's, as well as the 2005-2008 NABI's.  Maybe even the worst of the 2009's as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

do you have a source on this, or any pics of 20001?

I recall seeing a photo of 20001 on facebook a while ago so I can back him up on that. The only issue is I don’t *have* the image on hand so I cannot prove this, though...

 

EDIT/UPDATE:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/426014607458494?view=permalink&id=2614803615246238&fs=2&focus_composer=0

 

here’s a video of it. If you’re in the south florida transit fb group, you should be able to see

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys sure that is not a contract for up to 146 buses over multiple years? Broward has always struggled with funding for buses, so 146 in one year just doesn't sound right.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, alexb320 said:

Are you guys sure that is not a contract for up to 146 buses over multiple years? Broward has always struggled with funding for buses, so 146 in one year just doesn't sound right.

I am not privvy to any BCt ordeering information, but the fact that the pilot bus has 5 digits (20001) makes me think it is one order.  If it was say 76 buses in 2020 and 70 more in 2021, they would number 2001-2076 and 2101-2170.  But anything is possible.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, alexb320 said:

Are you guys sure that is not a contract for up to 146 buses over multiple years? Broward has always struggled with funding for buses, so 146 in one year just doesn't sound right.

Yea but they also have the funding Bus Deliveries Start in January they I also heard they are getting 5 more Artics from Newflyer 5 more MCI buses And 5 BYD’s Electric Commuter bus that they tested 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 7:01 AM, Transit man2015 said:

Yea but they also have the funding Bus Deliveries Start in January they I also heard they are getting 5 more Artics from Newflyer 5 more MCI buses And 5 BYD’s Electric Commuter bus that they tested 

PSTA #16101

What about Hybrid Gilligs similar to Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority specs and are they using on I-95 express Routes? 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that 

On 10/31/2019 at 4:32 PM, Buzz2kb said:

They'll probably replace all remaining 2002-03 Gillig's, as well as the 2005-2008 NABI's.  Maybe even the worst of the 2009's as well. 

Over the past months BCT has been expanding service on various routes while not delivering more buses which must have put a strain on the current fleet. About half of the new buses are for fleet expansion not replacement but the old gilligs and likely the 2005 NABIs will be retired.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, alexb320 said:

Are you guys sure that is not a contract for up to 146 buses over multiple years? Broward has always struggled with funding for buses, so 146 in one year just doesn't sound right.

Why the sudden desperation for buses? I know they need 40-50 for fleet expansion following the service changes over the past month. As far as replacements even the oldest gilligs seem to be running fine but retiring them wouldnt require almost 150 buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...