Jump to content
cleowin

TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Brando737 said:

57th is a pre planned future station as well.  That won't be done until the development takes place in that area and I believe the developer is paying for a part of the construction.  Not sure if any further bus service will be implemented there however.

Hope they decide on making longer platforms! Translink admitted this week that the Canada Line Station platforms are to short & obviously they didn't plan ahead for the future.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3793260/larger-stations-or-more-trains-canada-line-faces-tough-choice-as-demand-increases/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Hope they decide on making longer platforms! Translink admitted this week that the Canada Line Station platforms are to short & obviously they didn't plan ahead for the future.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3793260/larger-stations-or-more-trains-canada-line-faces-tough-choice-as-demand-increases/

Good to see the problem acknowledged by Desmond. Obviously, it's easier for him to say, since he wasn't around when the Canada Line decisions were being made. But it sounds like Translink's hands were tied back before the Olympics, given skepticism about future ridership on the part of the municipalities and the public to a certain extent. This skepticism, obviously, was completely, absolutely, 600% misguided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

Hope they decide on making longer platforms! Translink admitted this week that the Canada Line Station platforms are to short & obviously they didn't plan ahead for the future.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3793260/larger-stations-or-more-trains-canada-line-faces-tough-choice-as-demand-increases/

 

44 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Good to see the problem acknowledged by Desmond. Obviously, it's easier for him to say, since he wasn't around when the Canada Line decisions were being made. But it sounds like Translink's hands were tied back before the Olympics, given skepticism about future ridership on the part of the municipalities and the public to a certain extent. This skepticism, obviously, was completely, absolutely, 600% misguided.

Don't forget that TransLink had absolutely zero part in Canada Line decision-making. That process was run start-to-finish by Gordon Campbell and Kevin Falcon (then Minister of Transportation). And it's not just the platforms that would need to be extended. In some cases, AIUI entire sections of the guideway would need to be rebuilt, and at that point you're talking about shutting down the line for a period of weeks or months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

I hope there's going to be a bus loop (or an on street loop) that supports trolleys at Arbutus.

Isnt that place called Granville at 63rd? 

Even then, I think youre getting road names mixed up. South of 37th youre talking about West Boulevard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Isnt that place called Granville at 63rd?

I think @buizel10 was talking about Arbutus and Broadway.

As for whether a trolleybus loop there makes sense, that depends on two things:

  1. How long will Arbutus be the western terminus of the Millennium Line? If the extension to UBC starts pre-construction right away, then it might make more sense just to do an on-street loop for the few years until the extension is built.
  2. What's the eventual plan for the Arbutus trolleybus? Will it be replaced entirely with LRT, or dieselized when the LRT opens? Will it continue operating to downtown, or terminate at Broadway?
7 hours ago, Express691 said:

With these new stations popping up along the canada line within the next 20-30 years, combined with the line reaching maximum capacity, I really think they need to bring back 488 490 491 492 496.

How absolutely retarded would that be, needing to bring in buses to relieve a heavy-rail subway line so soon after it opens?
What might be worth doing aside from that, though, would be restoring the old "tunnel buses" as rush-hour premium express buses, charging similar fares to the West Coast Express for one-seat trips to/from downtown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Isnt that place called Granville at 63rd? 

Even then, I think youre getting road names mixed up. South of 37th youre talking about West Boulevard.

I know 63rd Loop exists, but I'm talking about Broadway and Arbutus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I think @buizel10 was talking about Arbutus and Broadway.

As for whether a trolleybus loop there makes sense, that depends on two things:

  1. How long will Arbutus be the western terminus of the Millennium Line? If the extension to UBC starts pre-construction right away, then it might make more sense just to do an on-street loop for the few years until the extension is built.
  2. What's the eventual plan for the Arbutus trolleybus? Will it be replaced entirely with LRT, or dieselized when the LRT opens? Will it continue operating to downtown, or terminate at Broadway?

Even if it goes to UBC very soon, IMO it should still have a loop, to service that area. Just like City Hall has the Yukon-7th-Cambie-Broadway loop, it should also have a on street loop or better with bay assignments to service the community. Perhaps Broadway-Maple-10th-Arbutus?

 

I think the second depends on if the tram will run to downtown, and if it will be a local service line or more express line (like the SkyTrain and Canada Line).

If it runs as a local line, the Arbutus bus will probably be cancelled, and they will just use the wires to deadhead or something.

If it runs as a express line, the trolleybus will probably stick around, and not be dieselized if the wires can be kept.

3 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

How absolutely retarded would that be, needing to bring in buses to relieve a heavy-rail subway line so soon after it opens?
What might be worth doing aside from that, though, would be restoring the old "tunnel buses" as rush-hour premium express buses, charging similar fares to the West Coast Express for one-seat trips to/from downtown.

Is technically the Canada Line a "light metro"?

I think there should be a route from Steveston Exchange, down No. 1, Westminster, No. 2, Russ Baker, Airport Stn, Bridge to Marine Dr,, with intermediary stops at:

Steveston Hwy 

Williams Rd

Francis Rd

Blundell Rd

Granville Ave

Westminster @ No. 1

Lynas Ln 

No. 2 @ Westminster

River Pkwy

Inglis Dr

BCIT

Airport Stn

Marpole Loop (Drop off/pick up only, depends on direction)

Oak St (Drop off/pick up only, depends on direction)

70th Ave (Drop off/pick up only, depends on direction)

Marine Dr Stn 

 

And maybe reuse the priority signal at Miller and Russ Baker since it can get really congested there.

I haven't listed the Richmond stops as pick-up/drop off only, since there could be people from Steveston wanting to go to River Pkwy, BCIT or Inglis.

 

Along with this, there should be all-day service, but peak hours only on weekends. Perhaps only one an hour off peak, but at least have some service. 

 

Perhaps artics for like every third trip or something during peak periods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know what you all think would be the best route for the Canada Line to Steveston and Arbutus Line from Bridgeport through Richmond to Ladner.

 

And I don't need a "that's stupid" or a "that wouldn't happen" response. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Translink69 said:

I would like to know what you all think would be the best route for the Canada Line to Steveston and Arbutus Line from Bridgeport through Richmond to Ladner.

 

And I don't need a "that's stupid" or a "that wouldn't happen" response. 

That's stupid and won't happen

Something that might happen might be Arbutus to Steveston and Canada to Ladner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help everyone. Oh how much I love this forum... 

 

Arbutus Line From VCC-Clark along GNW to Granville island and then down the Arbutus Greenway. After, continues next to the rail lines to Marpole Loop and then over to Bridgeport, and through Richmond to Ladner, and then onto South Surrey Park & Ride, where it would join the Surrey LRT line.

Canada Line through to Steveston. I would assume along the route of the 410, but I'll leave that up to you folks if you've got any better idea, as my knowledge of Richmond isn't as good as others.

Imagine Translink is already going through with this and want YOU to decide the routing through Richmond.

This is a hypothetical for the future, (we're talking like 2040 and beyond). 

If you wanna be helpful, thanks. If you wanna be cheeky, well, I don't feel is should say it on here. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, here is a longer answer. 

Even my transit 'fantasies' have to be practical, realistic, or helpful. Particularly since I usually imagine them to distract me from a frustrating transit trip I'm doing at the time. So, I imagine the False Creek Streetcar would be useful in the future, same with the Arbutus LRT, but they're low priority compared to 10 other things. I also can't imagine the use for high capacity grade separated heavy rail like Skytrain or Canada Line being needed in Steveston/Richmond, Ladner, or most of suburban or rural Surrey. I actually can't imagine there being any point in extending the Expo or Canada lines at all, particularly since they are at capacity. I mostly fantasize how we would solve the current problems if money were less of a limit than, say, geography. 

When I lived in Calgary, a group of people with similar ideas developed a plan and presented it as part of the public consultation for Calgary's transit plan. Because it was realistic in what was needed, it helped inspire and is similar to Calgary's actual plan. 

But, since this is a thread for ideas, and I enjoy ideas, here they are: 

I would love to have the Arbutus LRT extend somehow across Burrard Bridge in the way Largecat suggested the 99 B-line could be. But tying it into a False Creek Streetcar could be useful too. I don't see the point of connecting that to VCC-Clark instead of the Stadium area of downtown, because the Millennium line will already do that. 

I imagine that a B-line following the 410 route (except along No. 1 road) to Steveston, and one along Steveston Highway to the area of the interchange to connect with long distance express services along HWY 99 from Vancouver to Ladner, Tsawwassen, etc. I don't imagine it would need to be converted to LRT for a while. But then, I rarely go to Richmond so I don't know where the problems are. 

I imagine the Arbutus LRT could cross the river to Bridgeport, and then go back across the Knight St Bridge and up towards Commercial. Or, go along Marine Drive. There isn't anywhere on Commercial/Victoria for an LRT, though, although the 20 has high ridership. A train crossing would give a nice alternative to Knight st bridge when it is backed up. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

Ok, here is a longer answer. 

Even my transit 'fantasies' have to be practical, realistic, or helpful. Particularly since I usually imagine them to distract me from a frustrating transit trip I'm doing at the time. So, I imagine the False Creek Streetcar would be useful in the future, same with the Arbutus LRT, but they're low priority compared to 10 other things. I also can't imagine the use for high capacity grade separated heavy rail like Skytrain or Canada Line being needed in Steveston/Richmond, Ladner, or most of suburban or rural Surrey. I actually can't imagine there being any point in extending the Expo or Canada lines at all, particularly since they are at capacity. I mostly fantasize how we would solve the current problems if money were less of a limit than, say, geography. 

When I lived in Calgary, a group of people with similar ideas developed a plan and presented it as part of the public consultation for Calgary's transit plan. Because it was realistic in what was needed, it helped inspire and is similar to Calgary's actual plan. 

But, since this is a thread for ideas, and I enjoy ideas, here they are: 

I would love to have the Arbutus LRT extend somehow across Burrard Bridge in the way Largecat suggested the 99 B-line could be. But tying it into a False Creek Streetcar could be useful too. I don't see the point of connecting that to VCC-Clark instead of the Stadium area of downtown, because the Millennium line will already do that. 

I imagine that a B-line following the 410 route (except along No. 1 road) to Steveston, and one along Steveston Highway to the area of the interchange to connect with long distance express services along HWY 99 from Vancouver to Ladner, Tsawwassen, etc. I don't imagine it would need to be converted to LRT for a while. But then, I rarely go to Richmond so I don't know where the problems are. 

I imagine the Arbutus LRT could cross the river to Bridgeport, and then go back across the Knight St Bridge and up towards Commercial. Or, go along Marine Drive. There isn't anywhere on Commercial/Victoria for an LRT, though, although the 20 has high ridership. A train crossing would give a nice alternative to Knight st bridge when it is backed up. 

Thanks for the answer. VCC isn't a set spot, but it of course must reach at least Heather Square/Olympic Villiage Stn. After that, I'm not sure. I just don't want a train on the streets of downtown. 

 

White Rock and Ladner are definitely disadvantaged by the fact that they're separated from other cities by lots of nothing. 

The LRT would relieve the travel time to and from these two cities. Bus service in South Delta and South Surrey/White Rock will be greatly improved, with more trips and less buses required, which can lead to creations of new routes. 

This is of course in the waaaaay distant future as I've stated before, when these cities have grown more.

Steveston, on the other hand, I think is more viable and could be seen in the next 15-20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Thanks for the answer. VCC isn't a set spot, but it of course must reach at least Heather Square/Olympic Villiage Stn. After that, I'm not sure. I just don't want a train on the streets of downtown. 

 

White Rock and Ladner are definitely disadvantaged by the fact that they're separated from other cities by lots of nothing. 

The LRT would relieve the travel time to and from these two cities. Bus service in South Delta and South Surrey/White Rock will be greatly improved, with more trips and less buses required, which can lead to creations of new routes. 

This is of course in the waaaaay distant future as I've stated before, when these cities have grown more.

Steveston, on the other hand, I think is more viable and could be seen in the next 15-20 years. 

I imagine the Arbutus, Delta and Surrey L lines will be separate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I cant think of a place which does not...

Massey Exchange place in Richmond. Waited 30 minutes there in the rain in wind with 5 or 6 other people in line. No shelter, no seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express691 said:

I cant think of a place which does not...

There's a couple I know of that need shelters...

  • Stop 55198 NB Scott Road/84 Ave (transfers from line 301 EB to lines 666* & 329 NB), there isn't enough space though.
  • Stop 55321 WB Hwy. 10/180 Street (KPU Cloverdale students keep ending up soaked in the rain)

*line 319

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UpLift Vancouver said:

There's a couple I know of that need shelters...

  • Stop 55198 NB Scott Road/84 Ave (transfers from line 301 EB to lines 666* & 329 NB), there isn't enough space though.
  • Stop 55321 WB Hwy. 10/180 Street (KPU Cloverdale students keep ending up soaked in the rain)

*line 319

I would add stops 59498, 56667 and 56671 as candidates for shelters eventually - all near the Tsawwassen Mills mall, used by folks leaving the mall and transferring between the 601 and 620 on Hwy 17. Not necessarily urgent candidates but I've had to wait at some of them in the rain before and it isn't fun, especially since there's plenty of room and some of the other stops nearby have shelters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hastings and Willingdon, particularly westbound where there is a fenced empty lot, doesn't have one for the 95, 130, etc. Phibbs barely does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EB Westminster Hwy at Boundary Rd outside HTC.  Not only are there allot of operators using that stop and standing in the rain for god knows how long till the next 410 shows up, but it's actually a busy stop for people working in the area and casino goers.  Not to mention the 410 Boundary Rd that drops people off and the next scheduled 410 is 20 minutes or so later in the evening on a Sunday.  

Not allot of space there, but something should be done there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WB Steveston FS Hwy 99, EB Steveston NS Hwy 99. A kinda busy stop for people transferring from highway buses to Richmond local routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More shelters would be nice, but I'm more interested in having a garbage bin at every stop; it's a much cheaper proposition and would promote cleanliness. I am utterly disgusted by how much litter I find at bus stops, especially in otherwise clean residential neighbourhoods. I think North Vancouver's strategy is most commendable with many of their bus stops featuring small pole-mounted bins (it makes a world of a difference).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Citaro said:

More shelters would be nice, but I'm more interested in having a garbage bin at every stop; it's a much cheaper proposition and would promote cleanliness. I am utterly disgusted by how much litter I find at bus stops, especially in otherwise clean residential neighbourhoods. I think North Vancouver's strategy is most commendable with many of their bus stops featuring small pole-mounted bins (it makes a world of a difference).

As a Richmond Resident that spends many hours walking around Richmond, I haveto wonder whether your idea would work.  I find trash tossed on the ground often within feet of trash receptacles.  Not that there are alot of said trash receptacles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...