Jump to content
cleowin

TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, out of curiousity, let's assume that BC Transit never got replaced by Translink, how would our system look like today? In terms of fleet, etc? Input your ideas!

I would guess that BC Transit would have continued its numbering system for the Vancouver area, and would have ordered mostly Nova LFS / CNG variant buses, but the trolley's would have still been the same. Can you imagine any of our E40LFR's in BC Transit livery?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the 301 was to be made into a FTN route would it be best to convert it into a B-Line/RapidBus route with less stops and shortened to end at Scottsdale rather than Newton to reduce duplication with the Scott Road routes (B-Line/RapidBus and 319)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 8010 said:

If the 301 was to be made into a FTN route would it be best to convert it into a B-Line/RapidBus route with less stops and shortened to end at Scottsdale rather than Newton to reduce duplication with the Scott Road routes (B-Line/RapidBus and 319)? 

301 doesn't even have the demand for an FTN route, let alone a B-Line route. What they could do instead is add more late-night trips, especially on weekends, and make it a 30 minute service instead of hourly, then you'll check if it should be an FTN route or not.

I do agree that it should truncate to Scottsdale, since KPU and Princess Margaret Secondary are already served by the 319.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Firebrand said:

I do agree that it should truncate to Scottsdale, since KPU and Princess Margaret Secondary are already served by the 319.

While I do agree that Scottsdale is relatively close to KPU, the bulk of 301 weekday riders are students travelling between Richmond and Surrey KPU campuses. Some form of service increase along 72nd Avenue between Newton and Scottsdale will have to compensate. (Or if KPU takes over the 301 thru political processes involving the SCBCTA act).

The rest of the riders are people in Delta needing a one-seat connection to Richmond in the morning and again to Delta in the evening.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they added a stop at 122nd for the 301.

Will a fantasy 315 work? Garden City -> Westminster -> 311 routing. Both routes combine for 15 minutes during rush hour, and the 315 can run every hour perhaps, during non-peak. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could work with 503 probably a 60 foot bus(?). Made into a b line to airport (express stops) Make the 502 return to aldergrove routing. But make every stop. 

 

I do see future translink takes on 21 via the 503. Maybe “88 brt (bus rapid transit) -to abbotsford airport - via langley central station” and “502 abbotsford airport - via langley central station” could do the trick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rulerduler said:

Could work with 503 probably a 60 foot bus(?). Made into a b line to airport (express stops) Make the 502 return to aldergrove routing. But make every stop. 

 

I do see future translink takes on 21 via the 503. Maybe “88 brt (bus rapid transit) -to abbotsford airport - via langley central station” and “502 abbotsford airport - via langley central station” could do the trick?

Don't see a need for the 503 to become a B-Line if there is already going to be a B-Line on Fraser Highway later this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkyTrain said:

Don't see a need for the 503 to become a B-Line if there is already going to be a B-Line on Fraser Highway later this year...

Didn't they cancel the B-Line tho

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 99.bline said:

Didn't they cancel the B-Line tho

 

That's right, they did. Now I remember.

Looks like I gotta get with the times lol

btw why did TL cancel the Fraser Highway B-Line anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SkyTrain said:

That's right, they did. Now I remember.

Looks like I gotta get with the times lol

btw why did TL cancel the Fraser Highway B-Line anyway?

Because Expo Line construction would end up slowing down the B-Line anyways

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 99.bline said:

Because Expo Line construction would end up slowing down the B-Line anyways

 

Also it'd make no sense to put in the new B-Line infrastructure (tactile pads, bus shelters, etc) if the are going to be torn up in 3 years (like what they did with No. 3 Road -> Canada Line).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With allot of people moving out to the valley and the SkyTrain going out to langley, they should implement some sort of express bus to Abbotsford from Langley center along Fraser Hwy.  Abbotsford airport is also wanting to expand much more and they need more reliable transit.  Here's my idea.

  • 503 to Aldergrove for local service as it is now east of Langley
  • B-Line from Langley to Abbotsford airport with very limited stops (ie busier 503 stops) along 503 portion.  Continues along Fraser Hwy with standard B-Line stop spacing.

There would be lots of politics involved and I don't know if BC transit wants to give up any of thier work even though Translink is "entitled" to move into that territory.  The need for major demand and expansion of transit within Metro Vancouver was the driving factor for BC Transit not wanting to deal with it was why Translink was created in the first place.  Hopefully this will happen again with the Fraser Valley, but then again, BC transit is putting allot of resources into that area so I don't know what the limit might be until they just give up.  In my opinion the demand is there for an overlap of transit agency's similar to Seattle.  The SkyTrain out to Langley will likely create more demand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To pull this off, even if ValleyMAX isn’t folded into TransLink, IMO you’d need to re-work the new TransLink fare structure to bring Abbotsford/Mission into the mix. Hard jurisdictional fare boundaries cause naught but grief, as Toronto’s problems in this regard illustrate.

That also means you’d need to extend Compass to ValleyMAX, but I’d actually advocate doing that province-wide à la PRESTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before, but it seems more likely that we will get:

  • A regional transit body for the Fraser Valley under the BC Transit brand, or...
  • A separate Fraser Valley regional transit system

I get the impression that the Fraser Valley cities see joining TransLink like becoming a Vancouver suburb where the small voices get drowned out and the tax money never returns. (Heck, even Delta and Surrey have felt this way.)  While we can try to justify this approach based on population, demand, or economics, the Fraser Valley won't take that for an answer. All that matters to them is their say on their money being used in their own communities.

I do agree with @GORDOOM that Compass Card should be spun off into something bigger that covers multiple transit agencies in the province. In fact, if they combined Compass Card with say the ID-issuimg divisions of ICBC and/or Vital Statistics, that would be revolutionary: a BC e-ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I discussed this when the announcement was made. The B-Line under the NEW standard involves a lot of permanent infrastructures like enhanced bus shelters and dedicated lanes that just wouldn't make sense to build with SkyTrain coming sooner. We did this once when the 98 B-Line infrastructure got built in Richmond but was decommissioned quickly because of Canada Line construction. In the end, the busway was in place for only around 4-5 years. So with that TransLink called for the cancellation of the Fraser Highway B-Line.

The service pattern itself (limited stop, express) and use of larger articulated buses could still be done under a non B-Line branded service (think: 43, 44, previous 135).

TransLink staff have mentioned that they'll still be pursuing service improvements on the 502/503 in lieu of the B-Line. One possibility is that the 503 become more frequent between Surrey Central and Langley (15 min frequency?) on weekdays, and do pick-up and drop-off at all stops between Surrey and Langley. We'll have to see what they come up with, but Fraser could get some decent bus service improvements, and I trust TransLink will not leave bus commuters behind.

Bear in mind this also means that the 503 will retain its limited-stop structure; the plan was to convert it to local/all-stop with the B-Line coming in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 2:50 AM, Millennium2002 said:

I've said it before, but it seems more likely that we will get:

  • A regional transit body for the Fraser Valley under the BC Transit brand, or...
  • A separate Fraser Valley regional transit system

I get the impression that the Fraser Valley cities see joining TransLink like becoming a Vancouver suburb where the small voices get drowned out and the tax money never returns. (Heck, even Delta and Surrey have felt this way.)  While we can try to justify this approach based on population, demand, or economics, the Fraser Valley won't take that for an answer. All that matters to them is their say on their money being used in their own communities.

I do agree with @GORDOOM that Compass Card should be spun off into something bigger that covers multiple transit agencies in the province. In fact, if they combined Compass Card with say the ID-issuimg divisions of ICBC and/or Vital Statistics, that would be revolutionary: a BC e-ID.

If the latter happens, I'd also advocate for it to be used as a some sort of debit card, like most Asian cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of hope, although it's a longshot, that by installing these new trolley wires TL might get some experience with it and maybe will be more open to extending the trolley network... I think it remains a good investment. 

For new routes, a few seem like low hanging fruit:

- Replicating the old 15 is obvious from 12th (soon)  to marine stn, wires at both ends. Also, the 50, which has wires already throughout... these routes dont have as much ridership though.

-The 2 would be nice, also wires at both ends plus they'll be wiring MacDonald from 4th to Broadway. I don't know what the future holds for the 2 post-Broadway subway, but the demand for the northern part might even increase! This would be NIMBY central though.

- The 119 or 130 would be neat and achievable, and there are already wires to metrotown and kootenay loop, but it seems like in the past Burnaby hasn't been so keen. The 130 could link up with a 9 extension from boundary (wires could even run to BTC)...

(Longer term, if the north shore is keen (and they have their hills and busy routes), stanley park wires are just a bridge away. So is the 4 terminus, but we would have to have highway speed trolleys then)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burrard Bridge is unable to support trolley's due to the weight of the support poles even after the seismic upgrade. That is why the back when the 22 went to McKenzie & West 41st then later to Dunbar Loop it never had trolleys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my proposed B-Line/RapidBus/BRT Network:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11usk3DZpwy9rMRGvSvV8y5J4YqXqzKXp&usp=sharing

 

Some notes: 

• Don't post any of that "that's not gonna happen/that's not realistic" garbage, it's just a dream map I came up with

• Some route numbers are new/changed to match the dream map I am still working on

• One of the two routes traveling through Cloverdale will be removed once I figure out which route is best to connect Cloverdale (most likely a modified version of the 64th Avenue route as that route is more direct than the Highway 10 route)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 8010 said:

Here's my proposed B-Line/RapidBus/BRT Network:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11usk3DZpwy9rMRGvSvV8y5J4YqXqzKXp&usp=sharing

 

Some notes: 

• Don't post any of that "that's not gonna happen/that's not realistic" garbage, it's just a dream map I came up with

• Some route numbers are new/changed to match the dream map I am still working on

• One of the two routes traveling through Cloverdale will be removed once I figure out which route is best to connect Cloverdale (most likely a modified version of the 64th Avenue route as that route is more direct than the Highway 10 route)

This doesn't look half bad. Some routes look a little too long, and/or too many stops. I'll get into more detail later on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First draft of my entire proposed transit network map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WEjh1N0bnU_mzweeO2wG9MS2duHzy5GJ&usp=sharing

 

Some notes:

• It's just a dream map, so please don't get over-emotional because I changed or removed a route

• There are currently 204 routes on the map

• I am still waiting for TransLink's Langley and Maple Ridge shuttle route plans so that is why there are currently no shuttle routes in those areas yet

• I am currently in the process of making a NightBus network map, which is why there are no more NightBus routes on the map

• I may remove the Woodland Line and put the two B-Line routes back on the map

• I am still trying to figure out the numbering of the B-Line/RapidBus/BRT routes, it will most likely end up being 900-989

• Any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticism would be much appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×