cleowin

TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

1,294 posts in this topic

Just now, cleowin said:

I think he meant no further expansion of Trolley overhead, which is what I'm saying lol

OK. Stupid Burnaby. They don't know what's good for them..  :lol:

1 person likes this

If burnaby wasn't an object.. I'd make the 106 to Edmonds a Trolley route, with VTC serving the 106 portion to EDmonds. Then the split route portion from edmonds to New west would stay conventional diesel.

That's really the only route I'd make trolley in Burnaby.

This is why I think it would be great to have battery electric buses capable of charging through the trolley wires... These routes could be extended without needing to extend the wires into Burnaby

2 people like this

Double Decker Trial

Coast Mountain Bus Company will be conducting a Double  Decker bus trial this fall 2017 on some routes.

This includes 620 route

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, cmbc2008 said:

Double Decker Trial

Coast Mountain Bus Company will be conducting a Double  Decker bus trial this fall 2017 on some routes.

This includes 620 route

WOuld be sweet if they tried it out on the 99

10 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

WOuld be sweet if they tried it out on the 99

The 99 B-Line is a non-starter for double-deckers unless there are at least three doors... and I'm pretty sure such models are not sold here yet in North America.

2 hours ago, cmbc2008 said:

Double Decker Trial

This includes 620 route

If we are seeing the double-deckers on the 620 it might possibly be a low-deck variant given the current constraints imposed by the tunnel...

George Massey Tunnel: Height 4.05m
Vancouver - Blaine Highway

Direction  Width  Lane  Height
North  
4.23m
4.05m
South  
4.25m
4.12m
(Structure #:01509,  ID:608)

Do you happen to know how high the demo is going to be?

Operators that normally drive an Orion coach may be assigned to drive a double Decker coach during trial period 

Delta / White Rock/Surrey /west Vancouver

This includes 620.  250.  258 routes

Alexander Dennis Double Decker 

Super Lo.    

Height of 3.91 M (12'10'')

IMG_3217.PNG

IMG_3218.PNG

10 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

The 99 B-Line is a non-starter for double-deckers unless there are at least three doors... and I'm pretty sure such models are not sold here yet in North America.

If we are seeing the double-deckers on the 620 it might possibly be a low-deck variant given the current constraints imposed by the tunnel...

Do you happen to know how high the demo is going to be?

A 14cm gap...should be fun riding in the top-front seats! :)

Would be wonderful to see Enviro500's on the 257, 258, 301, 311, 351, 555, 620, etc. A big improvement! 

Would also be nice to see a combined 555/66FX with Enviro500's.

26 minutes ago, cmbc2008 said:

Alexander Dennis Double Decker 

Super Lo.    

Height of 3.91 M (12'10'')

IMG_3217.PNG

IMG_3218.PNG

Does the SuperLo have a rear door? This photo seems to indicate it doesn't.

3 hours ago, Large Cat said:

Does the SuperLo have a rear door?

Presumably that's a matter of the configuration selected by each customer, just as it is with (for example) the centre doors on an artic.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the buses to/from the ferries deserve their own sub-fleet of single-deck articulated diesel buses equipped with luggage racks. The luggage compartment within the SuperLo is surely a nice touch, but I highly doubt TransLink would want its operators to deal with having to load and unload it at possibly every stop, as that will inevitably slow the bus down. And I also can't see passengers being too happy with dragging their luggage upstairs or leaving it unattended should there be no room in either the luggage compartment or the first deck of the bus. Fnally, I can't imagine West Vancouver being too happy about a double decker trying to climb their hills.... That's just asking for all sorts of problems like not enough power, tipping over, climbing hill too slowly, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these on the highway commuter services, but the ferry routes are particular enough that introducing SuperLos to them might be somewhat of a mismatch.

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the buses to/from the ferries deserve their own sub-fleet of single-deck articulated diesel buses equipped with luggage racks. The luggage compartment within the SuperLo is surely a nice touch, but I highly doubt TransLink would want its operators to deal with having to load and unload it at possibly every stop, as that will inevitably slow the bus down. And I also can't see passengers being too happy with dragging their luggage upstairs or leaving it unattended should there be no room in either the luggage compartment or the first deck of the bus. Fnally, I can't imagine West Vancouver being too happy about a double decker trying to climb their hills.... That's just asking for all sorts of problems like not enough power, tipping over, climbing hill too slowly, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these on the highway commuter services, but the ferry routes are particular enough that introducing SuperLos to them might be somewhat of a mismatch.

I feel like double deckers are perfect for the ferry routes to Tsawassen at least (I've only rode the 257 once so can't comment on that one). They mainly serve as longer point to points routes with minimal stops in between but the majority of riders are on for the full route. Because there are so few stops (and they usually have few people getting on or off), the small amount of possible extra dwell time stays fairly small for the whole trip. Same is true for buses like the 555 and 351, which is why they are also good candidates. 

There are quite a few people that have large luggage to Tsawassen, but many that just have backpacks, small bags, etc that are easy to get to the upper level, while people with large bags could stay on the lower. It would be no different than the double deckers on the 70x used to serve the ferry in Victoria.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

... you realize these same riders get onto a Decker in Victoria without issue, right? 

From what I've seen the luggage rack on 8060 has been a big success - every time I see it there's a lot of luggage on it. From what I understand, that's not exactly what the deckers would have but I think ferrygoers would appreciate more buses with that ability

When riding the Victoria deckers, there is signage instructing passengers to stay on the lower deck with their large luggage (suitcases etc.), if they have any. I haven't seen any people so far trying to lug their giant suitcases up and down the stairs.

7 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

From what I've seen the luggage rack on 8060 has been a big success - every time I see it there's a lot of luggage on it. From what I understand, that's not exactly what the deckers would have but I think ferrygoers would appreciate more buses with that ability

Hoping WVMT will follow suit one day.

It's kinda weird to see 250 testing double deckers. Maybe they only test on 250A.

I'm not a fan of luggage compartment, especially for a non-direct route. Even for 620 luggage racks sound better. For routes like 351, 555 the compartment might be left unused throughout the trip, wasting many space.

I wonder if Translink will test other models, maybe a 2-door variant. I like those in Ottawa (but might be too high for 620).

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

Hoping WVMT will follow suit one day.

I agree - it would be back to the future though because West Van's three D60s had luggage racks which were well utilized.