cleowin

TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

935 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Actually, I just realized something about the double deckers. At SB Massey Exchange, buses have to go under steveston hwy., the clearance on that bridge is quite small, and I'm pretty sure double deckers can't go under that bridge. The only way I could see a double decker on the 601 or 351 is if they tear down Steveston hwy. bridge and build a new one that has a lot more clearance.

 

 

5 hours ago, Orcair said:

I mean the stop is in a bad spot anyway - I imagine they could mimic the NB route and put the station on the off-ramp or just wait until the new bridge is in place which replaces that exchange anyway with new stops. 

I believe that exchange will be completely rebuilt with the new bridge and it looks like the bus lanes and stops will be in the middle of the highway with pedestrian walkways to either side.  As a temporary fix, they could just lower the bus lane to fit the double deckers under the Steveston Hwy overpass.  Probably not to difficult to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

As a temporary fix, they could just lower the bus lane to fit the double deckers under the Steveston Hwy overpass.  Probably not to difficult to do.

So does that mean they will raise the George Massey Tunnel roof as a temporary fix so the double deckers can fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

So does that mean they will raise the George Massey Tunnel roof as a temporary fix so the double deckers can fit?

Most likely no because the tunnel is being replace by 2022. Also CMBC would need to upgrade or build a transit centre to fit the double decker buses which will take a few years. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Most likely no because the tunnel is being replace by 2022. Also CMBC would need to upgrade or build a transit centre to fit the double decker buses which will take a few years. 

It will probably be RTC fitted with upgrades to serve the double deckers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

It will probably be RTC fitted with upgrades to serve the double deckers.

That assumes we're getting double dockers... As far as I know that hasn't been any confirmation of that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

That assumes we're getting double dockers... As far as I know that hasn't been any confirmation of that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't mean to imply that were getting double deckers as there have been no confirmation from TransLink. I am responding to Blue Bus Fan and he/she said that ''CMBC will need to upgrade or build a transit centre to fit the double decker buses.'' I in response said, ''It will probably be RTC fitted with upgrades to serve the double deckers.'' What I mean by saying that is that if TransLink were to get double decker buses, it would be RTC as it serves the 351, 601 once the George Massey Bridge is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

So does that mean they will raise the George Massey Tunnel roof as a temporary fix so the double deckers can fit?

 

40 minutes ago, neopasturquoise said:

If they were to get double deckers, they can order the low height version, which is 4.17m high.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=enviro400+nwfb&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1-ajQ_8HRAhUHzWMKHdB5BYkQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=511#imgrc=AKSBpTMnp9sU_M%3A

Edit:

There is also a super-lo Enviro 500 available, which is 3.9m high

Tunnel hight slipped my mind, which is 4.15 meter's.  The super-lo would just barely fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refurbished Orion V in Sweep-R livery. I think Sweep-R looks better on low floor buses.

555 PORT MANN EXPRESS (4).png

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TranslinkKid said:

Refurbished Orion V in Sweep-R livery. I think Sweep-R looks better on low floor buses.

555 PORT MANN EXPRESS (4).png

Yep, I would much rather have it on the LFs rather than any high floors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now