TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

BTW, anyone know what type of seats the new Burrard Chinnok will have? Hoping more comfortable and more cushiony than the Otter II. And also hoping for more chargers on the Chinnok. 

22 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Correct the loop will be eventually closing. There will be  a new loop across the street by the current station. I have not seen the plans for the new loop, but guaranteed the 19 will still be trolley. 

The Canada Line will not shut down. It will either still be Protrans or a new contractor. Do yourself a favour, don't believe rumors! 

So that’s why it had a different livery and different upholstrey (dark blue leatherette instead of light blue vinyl). Its because of ProTrans BC owning the line

2 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

BTW, anyone know what type of seats the new Burrard Chinnok will have? Hoping more comfortable and more cushiony than the Otter II. And also hoping for more chargers on the Chinnok. 

Same as the Otter II afaik

2 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

that’s why it had a different livery and different upholstrey (dark blue leatherette instead of light blue vinyl). Its because of ProTrans BC owning the line

Pretty sure TL owns the line, just contracts it out to ProTrans until 2040

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So with the suspension of the new Novabuses, I have a feeling that some of the following service cuts will happen:

25: Service from Nanaimo station to Brentwood station discontinued

116, 134, 136, 146, 147: Sat/Sun/Hol service reduced to 60 minutes from every 30 minutes

159: Sat/Sun/Hol service to use Community Shuttles

160: All trips to use Community Shuttles with 30 minute frequency off peak.

152, 156, 183, 191, 212: All trips to use Community Shuttles with 60 minute frequency off peak.

214: Existing peak hour service operated by conventional buses to switch to Shuttles.

227 & 232: All off peak service reduced to every 60 minutes.

239 & 240: Sat/Sun/Hol service reduced to every 20 minutes from every 8-15 minutes

241 & 247: Discontinue

246: Shorten route to Marine and Capilano; no service to Downtown.

250: Sat/Sun/Hol service between Downtown and Dundrave reduced to every 20 minutes from every 10 minutes; with Horseshoe Bay service reduced to every 60 minutes from every 30 minutes

252 & 255: No service weekends/holidays

253 & 254: All trips to use Community Shuttles; no service to Downtown.

This will also be followed with another mass-reorganization of the buses, as well of resurfacing of older ones (including shuttles). But it is quite possible that VTC will get used Novabus LFS from BTC and WVMT, Novabus LFS HEV from HTC (HTC may get more XN40s from PCTC), and maybe some D40LF from HTC. If someone can please give a fleet summary of what that would look like, please lmk. Thanks.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

So with the suspension of the new Novabuses, I have a feeling that some of the following service cuts will happen:

25: Service from Nanaimo station to Brentwood station discontinued

116, 134, 136, 146, 147: Sat/Sun/Hol service reduced to 60 minutes from every 30 minutes

159: Sat/Sun/Hol service to use Community Shuttles

160: All trips to use Community Shuttles with 30 minute frequency off peak.

152, 156, 183, 191, 212: All trips to use Community Shuttles with 60 minute frequency off peak.

214: Existing peak hour service operated by conventional buses to switch to Shuttles.

227 & 232: All off peak service reduced to every 60 minutes.

239 & 240: Sat/Sun/Hol service reduced to every 20 minutes from every 8-15 minutes

241 & 247: Discontinue

246: Shorten route to Marine and Capilano; no service to Downtown.

250: Sat/Sun/Hol service between Downtown and Dundrave reduced to every 20 minutes from every 10 minutes; with Horseshoe Bay service reduced to every 60 minutes from every 30 minutes

252 & 255: No service weekends/holidays

253 & 254: All trips to use Community Shuttles; no service to Downtown.

This will also be followed with another mass-reorganization of the buses, as well of resurfacing of older ones (including shuttles). But it is quite possible that VTC will get used Novabus LFS from BTC and WVMT, Novabus LFS HEV from HTC (HTC may get more XN40s from PCTC), and maybe some D40LF from HTC. If someone can please give a fleet summary of what that would look like, please lmk. Thanks.

Realistically they aren't going to pull them out of service.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, Evan Hancock said:

Not to go off topic here, but I just overheard rumors from a bus driver that the Metrotown bus loop will close, and all buses will board on Central Blvd, and the 19 will loose trolleys.

In addition to the points by other posters, I remember from one of the recent Translink Budget reports that they are spending several million dollars renewing the substations supplying power to the southern end of the 19. They wouldn't be doing that if they had any intention of dieselising the 19.

• Like 6

The first full draft of my map is finally done!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WEjh1N0bnU_mzweeO2wG9MS2duHzy5GJ&usp=sharing

Is it the best transit network ever? Nope, but it is the best that I could come up with. I've simplified as many of the routes as I could but some routes are pretty windy and I couldn't do much about it.

I've restructured both the Langley and Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge shuttle networks, some routes will be nearly identical to their existing routes with some minor changes.

I may add B-Line stops to the map in the future as the B-Line network is basically a BRT network.

Now I gotta move on to the NightBus network that I've been holding off on for awhile.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

The first full draft of my map is finally done!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WEjh1N0bnU_mzweeO2wG9MS2duHzy5GJ&usp=sharing

Is it the best transit network ever? Nope, but it is the best that I could come up with. I've simplified as many of the routes as I could but some routes are pretty windy and I couldn't do much about it.

I've restructured both the Langley and Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge shuttle networks, some routes will be nearly identical to their existing routes with some minor changes.

I may add B-Line stops to the map in the future as the B-Line network is basically a BRT network.

Now I gotta move on to the NightBus network that I've been holding off on for awhile.

Riverport doesn't and never will need a SkyTrain station. It's a minor entertainment area with kilometres of ALR around it. Canada Line is more likely to go to Ladner and beyond.

Also, any planning for a King George SkyTrain? Ridership is high and a B Line won't be good enough in the long term.

21 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

Riverport doesn't and never will need a SkyTrain station. It's a minor entertainment area with kilometres of ALR around it. Canada Line is more likely to go to Ladner and beyond.

Also, any planning for a King George SkyTrain? Ridership is high and a B Line won't be good enough in the long term.

The reason I extended the Canada Line to Riverport was to allow for a future extension to South Delta, but I do agree that it does not need SkyTrain service.

As for King George, I'll see what I can do as I agree that a B-Line will not be a good long-term solution, especially when the extension to White Rock goes into service in a few years.

15 minutes ago, 8010 said:

The reason I extended the Canada Line to Riverport was to allow for a future extension to South Delta, but I do agree that it does not need SkyTrain service.

As for King George, I'll see what I can do as I agree that a B-Line will not be a good long-term solution, especially when the extension to White Rock goes into service in a few years.

Wouldn't it be more feasible for an extension west of 99 instead of east?

7 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

Probably, perhaps it would make more sense to end the line at Ironwood and then extend it to South Delta in the future along the highway.

3 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

IT ALREADY HAPPENED TO THE 130, 480, AND 602!1!11!!1!!!

I heard the opposite, every route in the system is being trolleyized, and every artic route is being reduced to 40 footers and we're bringing back all the E901/2A's into service.. and we're retiring all of our Xcelsior buses!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cleowin said:

I heard the opposite, every route in the system is being trolleyized, and every artic route is being reduced to 40 footers and we're bringing back all the E901/2A's into service.. and we're retiring all of our Xcelsior buses!

What about that order for 22,034 XT80s that I was told was happening by Kevin Desmond?

(/s)

• Haha 1

I think this one is doable:

The hours are there, but not (sure about) the buses.

Upgrade the 322 to conventional during rush hour (often full), and instead, replace either 314 weekend, 316 Sunday, or 326 weekend with shuttles every 30 minutes (currently these weekend routes/times are conventional service every hour).

I find no reason to have hourly service for conventional buses on weekends for these routes. Might as well downgrade and provide something more frequent. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Express691 said:

I think this one is doable:

The hours are there, but not (sure about) the buses.

Upgrade the 322 to conventional during rush hour (often full), and instead, replace either 314 weekend, 316 Sunday, or 326 weekend with shuttles every 30 minutes (currently these weekend routes/times are conventional service every hour).

I find no reason to have hourly service for conventional buses on weekends for these routes. Might as well downgrade and provide something more frequent. 

I completely agree with this, I've taken the 322 before just after the morning peak towards Newton and it was packed.

Some other routes I think should have 30 min shuttle service during weekday off-peak and/or weekends are the 156, 191, 212, 253, 254, and 329. This would allow for some more conventional service to areas that actually need it.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 6:12 PM, buizelbus said:

Also, any planning for a King George SkyTrain?

I think I've come up with possible station locations for a King George SkyTrain Line:

• Guildford

• 144th - Hawthorne Park

• Surrey Central

• King George 

• 96th - Surrey Memorial

• 88th - Bear Creek

• 80th Avenue

• Newton

• 64th Avenue

• Highway 10 (Future)

• South Surrey

• King George @ 152nd Street

• White Rock Centre

I'm also planning for some RRT lines along Hastings, 41st Ave/Willingdon Ave, Coquitlam/Maple Ridge/Langley, North Van/West Van, and Richmond to South Delta. I'm also planning on doing a possible Light Rail line from Bridgeport or Brighouse to Steveston, but I can't imagine ridership ever getting high enough to demand a B-Line replacement there anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I completely agree with this, I've taken the 322 before just after the morning peak towards Newton and it was packed.

Some other routes I think should have 30 min shuttle service during weekday off-peak and/or weekends are the 156, 191, 212, 253, 254, and 329. This would allow for some more conventional service to areas that actually need it.

I would take the 212 off that list.  On nice summer weekends it can get pretty packed with people heading out to Deep Cove.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

I would take the 212 off that list.  On nice summer weekends it can get pretty packed with people heading out to Deep Cove.

Perhaps that could be a seasonal change then. I've taken the 212 during non-summer times and it's barely half full.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, buizelbus said:

Agreed, Might make more sense to run it through Richmond. Have you seen the 403,404,413 leave Riverport full? They're always nearly empty.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Have you seen the 403,404,413 leave Riverport full? They're always nearly empty.

About that, no... 

403 reaches capacity leaving Brighouse but it dwindles as it approaches Steveston Highway.

404 though... is a totally different story, and I think might be a good contender for downgrading to community shuttle (unless they do some major restructuring and pull thru with whatever they planned for it in the SWATP).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Express691 said:

404 though... is a totally different story, and I think might be a good contender for downgrading to community shuttle (unless they do some major restructuring and pull thru with whatever they planned for it in the SWATP).

The 404 is basically going to be the same as it is now but ending in Ironwood and it looks like it's going to be interlined with the 405.