TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

Sorry, but I think this would be a redundant service with Broadway being so close (only 3 blocks away).

Its the only Major Corridor in Vancouver not using bus service. Thats why I suggested it. B)

first ave i can see that but not 12 ave

I thought of another thing I wouldn't mind seeing. I think they should extend the 33 out from 29th Ave Stn to at least BCIT via 29th Avenue, Moscrop Street, and Willingdon Avenue. Maybe even to Brentwood, but that might be redundant since the 25 already goes there as does the 130. I think this could be a peak hours only extension to the route and would help the 25 in the AM from the Canada Line to BCIT. That way, the 25 doesn't have to be increased as much since there are parts of the eastbound route that don't need more service (i.e. UBC to about Granville or Cambie in the AM). I know the 33 doesn't need extra service that direction either, but they could use the 10-12 minute service already on the 33 and extend it to BCIT (right on Canada Way off Willingdon, and then left on some street that I can't think of the name of at the moment, but it is a crescent and loops back around to Canada Way). Service could be one direction only, if desired instead, then the buses would just have to go left on Canada Way back to 29th Ave Stn to make the westbound trip.

There are many options for service here -- this is another area in the street grid where there is a gap in east-west service, and I think 29th Avenue is commonly used for buses coming from BTC, so it won't be new for the residents to have buses down their street. Whether it be a peak only, peak direction only service, or a peak only both directions service, I think there will be a demand. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, it is likely better to travel both directions since many people on 29th Avenue may want to get to the Skytrain in the AM and from it in the PM.

I know this is not likely ever to happen, but that's why it's in the "Dreams and Aspirations" section!

What about 33 UBC/29th Avenue STN/Patterson STN?

Bus goes along 29th Avenue to Boundary Road onto Canada Way, down to Willingdon Avenue past BCIT/Moscrop Secondary (Same route as 130) and when it hits Central Boulevard, follow a 125. It could be Peak Hour service only to Patterson and return from Patterson with off-peak going to 29th Avenue STN only.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic, and since I have been back in Vancouver for a while I was reading old topics and couldn't help but add some more things.

The C92 is INSANE during peak hours to/from BCIT. .... this wouldn't require another vehicle if it is scheduled correctly, but would just take away from a driver's layover. ....

The day we wish we could see our dreams...

There is little enough time for personal needs on most of the work. Please don't be suggesting that there be less. We need more busses and more time.

RTC Operator

Sorry, but a 45 minute layover at Bridgeport Station is quite enough every 30 minutes... Saw the shuttle there on a weekday doing that and he said that's normal -- twice. So if the route is shortened to Templeton Stn., it will need even less time. I know the big buses are tight on the schedule, but that's because they come off other routes. I know one round-trip on a shortened C92 would take less than 20 minutes leaving more than 10 minutes of layover every 30 minutes if there is 30 minute frequency.

I drive a conventional bus on the 601/351 line and haven't seen more than 10 mins in 2 years other than at 0500 ( only due to scheduling on the particular early straight I work). When I spent several months recently working the spare board out of RTC, I seldom got work that had more than 20 - 30 minutes total *scheduled* recovery time in a full shift and often considerably less. As far as other areas/systems go, all I can say is, if an operator needs a break for safety reasons take a reasonable break and then get back in the saddle.

Take Care

Not Quite

It is always best to have extra recovery/layover time at the end of a particular route. Don't blame it solely on the Operator. If the Operator was on time at Cambie and 49 Avenue, etc, then he is within the variance, and it means that the actual route schedule is the issue.

From experience, stopping a bus in the middle of a route for 10 min. is not an ideal thing to do from both the Passenger's perspective nor from a Bus Operator perspective. As a Bus Operator, I would sit at Marine Drive Station an extra 10 min. if I knew there was too much time on the run and I would have to sit NB Cambie Street FS Broadway St.

An efficient and productive public transit system is in everyone's best interests. Recovery at end terminals and minimal in between is ideal. An excerpt from the North Shore Transit Plan; "Using additional service hours for service reliability and scheduling issues is a very poor use of resources. It is much better to use additional service hours for additional service and increase frequency instead." It sounds like CMBC needs to fix the route 15/50.

It is always best to have extra recovery/layover time at the end of a particular route. Don't blame it solely on the Operator. If the Operator was on time at Cambie and 49 Avenue, etc, then he is within the variance, and it means that the actual route schedule is the issue.

From experience, stopping a bus in the middle of a route for 10 min. is not an ideal thing to do from both the Passenger's perspective nor from a Bus Operator perspective. As a Bus Operator, I would sit at Marine Drive Station an extra 10 min. if I knew there was too much time on the run and I would have to sit NB Cambie Street FS Broadway St.

An efficient and productive public transit system is in everyone's best interests. Recovery at end terminals and minimal in between is ideal. An excerpt from the North Shore Transit Plan; "Using additional service hours for service reliability and scheduling issues is a very poor use of resources. It is much better to use additional service hours for additional service and increase frequency instead." It sounds like CMBC needs to fix the route 15/50.

I know for a fact that the inbound N19's used to leave about 10-15 minutes late every night. This meant they didn't need to sit at Scott Road, New West, or Metrotown timing points. It also timed out perfect with the first connection they had at Willingdon wiht the 19/41.

Chris Cassidy

If you where to extend trolley service into burnaby further, where would you put Trolley Overhead wires?

Not Burnaby, but if you'd want to reduce diesel pollution, hang trolley wires on SW Marine Drive to UBC and run the 41 as trolley (again). The current UBC loop mess could be used to let the 41 run on West Mall with one or two stops or so, with a terminus somewhere at or on University Boulevard. Call it "UBC West Side Access" if you need a fancy name :)

According to Google Maps the stretch of Marine Drive from the intersection with 41th up to 16th is about 4.1 km.

If we assume the conventional buses do 80 km/h for the whole 4.1 km and the trolley buses only 65 km/h, the trolley buses take about 45 seconds longer than the normal buses. With the stop at Kullahun Drive included, the difference will basically be zero, zilch, nada, as a bus probably barely gets to the full 80 km/h before the next intersection.

The trolleys are more than capable of going 80km/h. The issue is the overhead, not all of it is designed for speeds higher than 50-60km/h. The trolleys are governed at 60km/h with most being able to get up to 65km/h. I dont drive trolleys anymore, but when I did, I could accelerate nicely to 60km/h and once I reached that, I could feel the "kick back" of the govenor. Felt like it could keep going.

• 9 months later...

Even if they built an underground tunnel and had escalators/elevators up to the surface?

After I saw the map you posted, I did some quick research and found out that the maximum grade a normal train can operate on (with a normal load) is about 4 percent, though it is worth noting that grades of any more than 2 percent are generally avoided. Consider this when reading the following excerpt from the Burnaby Mountain Gondola Transit Assessment below...

"Between Duthie Avenue and Gaglardi Way, the route has an overall elevation change of approximately 240 m and experiences grades of 6.5 to 7 percent over an approximate length of 2.2 km... [t]he second section, between Broadway and

Burnaby Mountain Parkway, is approximately 2.7 km long and has a continuous grade of approximately 7.5 percent" (10).