CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

Door issues are always a problem with new trains. Passengers need to adapt with the new doors behaviors as passengers are not used to how they work and preform.

Common practice with the older cars like sticking their arm in the door and having the door reopen may not work this in the same way with the new cars so that passenger got a rude awakening getting her finger pinched!

4 hours ago, LRT said:

Door issues are always a problem with new trains. Passengers need to adapt with the new doors behaviors as passengers are not used to how they work and preform.

Common practice with the older cars like sticking their arm in the door and having the door reopen may not work this in the same way with the new cars so that passenger got a rude awakening getting her finger pinched!

That goes both ways. The doors may be set up for a "logical middle ground", when that point is not in fact conducive to proper operations at that facility. That may be the case with San Fran.

Dan

13 hours ago, smallspy said:

That goes both ways. The doors may be set up for a "logical middle ground", when that point is not in fact conducive to proper operations at that facility. That may be the case with San Fran.

Dan

Operator has capability of turning off the "photocell" located on the top of the door.. so if there's somebody standing in the doorway the door will close without sensing anybody... relying on the pressure sensitive door edges for the doors to reopen.

On another note is Indonesia getting the S200 Calgary spec car? Or is this just a photoshop rip off?

20171216_000628.png

On 12/16/2017 at 2:07 AM, LRT said:

Operator has capability of turning off the "photocell" located on the top of the door.. so if there's somebody standing in the doorway the door will close without sensing anybody... relying on the pressure sensitive door edges for the doors to reopen.

It's not just the photocells though. Sensitive edges, closing speeds and forces, all of those things need to be calibrated - and together - for the specific situations in the locale that they will be operating in.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

It's not just the photocells though. Sensitive edges, closing speeds and forces, all of those things need to be calibrated - and together - for the specific situations in the locale that they will be operating in.

Dan

We had issues with the amount of load on the doors by people holding them opened and that would actually pop the breaker. Then... the operator automatically would manually close the door without resetting the breaker. On the S200s not resetting the breaker would cause the train not to move. That was later recalibrated and adjusted... doors now bounce open if excessive load is detected without blowing the breaker. Operators are now trained to check the breaker ( if the "CB fault" appears on the TOD screen) and reset if necessary.

Huge learning curve by the operators electro-mechanics and rail control. These car seems to be running much better than before that's for sure.

4 of the last 5 consists I've ridden have been having issues with their signage. Side destination signs not working, interior signs getting stuck and turning off or not updating at all, announcements not playing correctly, etc.

Also spotted 2434 EB on the avenue earlier, out of service. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1604 said:

4 of the last 5 consists I've ridden have been having issues with their signage. Side destination signs not working, interior signs getting stuck and turning off or not updating at all, announcements not playing correctly, etc.

You know that's something I wanted to mention for quite a while now.... they are aware of the issue and apparently on this past Monday some big cheese was supposed to fly in and see what the issue was and come up with a solution.

27 minutes ago, 1604 said:

I've also noticed that the time displayed in all of the consists I've ridden has been off considerably (i.e. when it was 2:50PM, the sign would display 4:24PM) but the clock was not stuck in place. 

18 hours ago, 1604 said:

Can't forget about SaddletowneSADDLETOWNE 

• Haha 1

It's been awhile since I have worked in the south but by the sounds of things I haven't missed out on too much series 9 stuff.. 

So the last car delivered was 2435 and today car 2436 is being unloaded (as we speak) 

A bunch of door issues have been causing delays the last few days with some of these 9s on the Blue and Red lines but otherwise they seem to be "running not too bad".

Here's a pic of car 2436 being unloaded today (on flatcar GBRX9293) so I guess we can say we're now past the halfway point of deliveries of these things.

Not sure when it arrived so if anyone noticed this thing sometime this week please post it!

Enjoy!

20180109_091301.jpg

• Thanks 1