CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

• 2 months later...

Good to hear on the progress! I know for sure the coupler has changed. It looks like the coupler used on Edmonton's SD160s, also minor changes have been made to the operator's dash, but has not yet been finalized. I can't believe the 1st car will arrive in less then one year!

Good to hear on the progress! I know for sure the coupler has changed. It looks like the coupler used on Edmonton's SD160s, also minor changes have been made to the operator's dash, but has not yet been finalized. I can't believe the 1st car will arrive in less then one year!

And how long before the complaints come in about the seating??? :P

The old U2s are the worst. Series 8 any day over U2 please

Im not quite a fan of the series 8. It looks nice but what really bothers me is the damn shell seats. I dont care about the way they face but the shell seats annoy me quite a bit. Also hate that the HVAC is on everytime (that goes for the series 5,6,7 as well). They are much louder than the 5,6,7s. I hope the series 9 is mich better

The real problem that I have with the seating on the Series 8's is shoulder room. It's absolute hell sitting on a crowded Series 8 with two people directly on either side of you. At least on the U2's and 2200's you have slightly more personal space when sitting (I am not talking about the side facing seats here), and if you're sitting inboard then you can turn to sit diagonally and face away from the person sitting at the window a little bit, for more comfort. I sure hope that the Series 9's bring back the transverse seating.

Are you kidding?

U2's over anything else!

What's so good about U2 seats? Actually is there anything good about U2s?

- Seats face each other, legroom is compromised.

- Narrow aisles, which forces people to stand near doors.

- Doors open indoors

- Slippery floors

- Train itself isn't that modern - everything seems worn out/dirty

- No destination signs

Compare with Series 8:

- Sideways seats -> Wide aisles, more standing room

- Doors slide outside

- Modern, clean trains with open airy feel since seats and aisle aren't cramped

There was a poll here too, which compared Series 8 vs U2 seats. And according to the poll, U2 had the worst seats

At least the seats on U2's offer good shoulder room, and are soft and relatively comfortable.

And, well, obviously it should be no surprise for a train car to "not feel modern" and "seem worn out/dirty" when it's >34 years old and due for retirement within a year...!

Edited by Nicholas Blonski