LRT

CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

On 4/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Today I noticed that the Blue Line seems to be entirely Series 9 consists out there.

I found out later that there was one consist on the Blue Line that was not a Series 9 that day. I guess I never saw that particular train. 

1 hour ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

I found out later that there was one consist on the Blue Line that was not a Series 9 that day. I guess I never saw that particular train. 

Sunday I noticed one Series 8 consist and a Series 5/6/7 consist, but besides that all S9s.

Well,  the numbers in that article aren't very accurate and they never mentioned the series 8s. That alone goes to show the quality of the Herald's reporting. 

41 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Well,  the numbers in that article aren't very accurate and they never mentioned the series 8s. That alone goes to show the quality of the Herald's reporting. 

So … are you suggesting the train doors are not as safe as the transit person in the article says?

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Some of the 8s already have 1 million Kms on them already!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

So … are you suggesting the train doors are not as safe as the transit person in the article says?

I'm not suggesting anything,  just stating facts. 

• Like 1

Something I noticed today. An operator seemed to be avoiding the what I swear is a 5 second delay before the train will move. Indicated by two double chimes. However the operator appeared set the direction switch to the middle off (0) position at every station and then set it to Forward again when leaving. This procedure makes the train move after the first chime. Correct if I’m wrong but Isn’t the train designed not to move before the second chime?

29 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

Something I noticed today. An operator seemed to be avoiding the what I swear is a 5 second delay before the train will move. Indicated by two double chimes. However the operator appeared set the direction switch to the middle off (0) position at every station and then set it to Forward again when leaving. This procedure makes the train move after the first chime. Correct if I’m wrong but Isn’t the train designed not to move before the second chime?

No, you're not wrong. The train will not move before the second chime. Whatever he did with the Master Controller will not bypass the second chime.

32 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

4 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Yes, you're not wrong. The train will not move before the second chime.

And the door bank selector on the 9s are spring loaded and will return to the center position. 

There are two red lights in the center of the dash that indicate if the door bank is selected to the left or to the right.

50 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Right, he didn't mention what train he was on and I guess he meant the door bank selector switch.

I think he's actually talking about the reverser switch...

6 hours ago, Nick B said:

No "*" on the 9s..  I'm assuming it's a series 9 as it's in this thread.

"0" is kinda like "*" and pulling the card is like "0" yes its confusing and makes no sense why they did that.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:39 PM, LRT said:

"In addition to the 69 Siemens S200 cars, Calgary Transit operates 65 U2 vehicles, the oldest in the fleet, as well as 72 SD160 units, which Alm describes as middle-aged.

The city currently doesn’t have any secured funding in place to continue the fleet replacement program."

I'm just wondering, so amidst the MAX implemtation, Green Line construction, and pressure to expand the LRT further into the Northeast (new suburbs, and Crossiron/mega industrial park just outside city limits) - along with what I've noticed to be slightly lower train passenger volumes on the Blue Line (example: three-car consists and noticeable lower amount of passengers going West during rush hour) - if there isn't any funding for new LRV's, would Calgary Transit put off expansion plans for the LRT, or maybe put regular four-car consists onto the Blue Line, but cutting frequency - yet also reducing the crowding on 7th Avenue, in terms of trains all being squished through Downtown every couple of minutes? 

13 hours ago, armorand said:

I'm just wondering, so amidst the MAX implemtation, Green Line construction, and pressure to expand the LRT further into the Northeast (new suburbs, and Crossiron/mega industrial park just outside city limits) - along with what I've noticed to be slightly lower train passenger volumes on the Blue Line (example: three-car consists and noticeable lower amount of passengers going West during rush hour) - if there isn't any funding for new LRV's, would Calgary Transit put off expansion plans for the LRT, or maybe put regular four-car consists onto the Blue Line, but cutting frequency - yet also reducing the crowding on 7th Avenue, in terms of trains all being squished through Downtown every couple of minutes? 

City Council approved more cars for the existing line in the next budget, over the next few years.

This is basically what they have done on red line, which went from 33 3 car rush hour trains every 3-4 minutes  to 27 4 car rush hour trains every 6-7 minutes

The blue line currently has a headway of about 5-6 minutes as is. One would argue that it would be a tough sell for ridership during rush hour to cut that to 8-9 minutes for the sake of having 4 car trains.

On 4/27/2019 at 2:44 PM, Pantograf said:

Right, he didn't mention what train he was on and I guess he meant the door bank selector switch.

On 4/27/2019 at 3:35 PM, Nick B said:

Yes, correct, not the door bank selector switch. I am speaking of the “master control switch” or “reverser switch” I’m sure there’s a name for it.

On 4/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, CTrainDude said:

Just sounds like maybe the operator just wants to take his foot off the deadman at each station....for whatever reason.

Thats a pretty lazy operator if he has to stretch both legs every 1-3 min.😂

On 4/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, LRT said:

No "*" on the 9s..  I'm assuming it's a series 9 as it's in this thread.

"0" is kinda like "*" and pulling the card is like "0" yes its confusing and makes no sense why they did that.

Interesting... sounds like some engineer decided to do that “just because” there’s no sensible reason as to why.

I guess this operator’s single chime trick still remains a mystery.

I watched this happen at every station. Just to make sure I wasn't just not paying attention.

1 minute ago, green_line_26 said:

Will the series 9s ever be ad wrapped?

Definitely. IIRC, I've rode a wrapped car before.

21 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Definitely. IIRC, I've rode a wrapped car before.

The S200s were never ad wrapped.  

2 minutes ago, LRT said:

The S200s were never ad wrapped.  

Hmm. Must have been a series 8. I remember it being 2436, so I guess it was actually 2336.