CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

So, lots of talk about the Series 9 Cars. Fred Wong (Calgary Transit Director) has mentioned:

"With future four-car trains and a new LRT leg on the horizon, we were pleased when Council approved the purchase of 50 new CTrain cars. In addition to needing more cars, our fleet is getting older and these new cars will provide many more years of service." So will a tender be issued? Also I have read that Edmonton will be purchasing new cars as well, will Edmonton and Calgary purchase new cars together?

I would love to see other manufactures build new cars for these city's.

We will "track" :D any news on these new cars here!!

So, lots of talk about the Series 9 Cars. Fred Wong (Calgary Transit Director) has mentioned:

"With future four-car trains and a new LRT leg on the horizon, we were pleased when Council approved the purchase of 50 new CTrain cars. In addition to needing more cars, our fleet is getting older and these new cars will provide many more years of service." So will a tender be issued? Also I have read that Edmonton will be purchasing new cars as well, will Edmonton and Calgary purchase new cars together?

I would love to see other manufactures build new cars for these city's.

We will "track" :D any news on these new cars here!!

will they more likely numbered 2401-2450?

will they more likely numbered 2401-2450?

As history shows, each new order is a "series", if it's a completely new type of train then yes, I would guess it would start at 24XX. Otherwise it would continue on from 2338 if it becomes the same train type from the current order.

Lots of suggested talk going around....like

One large open train cars (like Vancouver's Canada line cars)

Single ended cab cars (like Portland's S70's)

Private exterior cab entry

What ever its going to be, its going to be designed with extra passenger capacity in mind.

I'm sure we will see the current SD160s return as a Series 9

Lots of suggested talk going around....like

One large open train cars (like Vancouver's Canada line cars)

Single ended cab cars (like Portland's S70's)

Private exterior cab entry

What ever its going to be, its going to be designed with extra passenger capacity in mind.

I'm sure we will see the current SD160s return as a Series 9

...which will likely scratch any return to transverse seating.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anybody heard of a tender yet? Heard one was issued but can't find any info on it?!?!?!

Just came across this today. http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/expect+q...l#ixzz1XxvVx6oQ

I'm not sure how these things usually go, but it sounds like the possibility is there to get something other than Siemens? I recall reading on here that Bombardier would only be interested if the order was for 50 or more cars. Can anyone confirm?

Council was divided for much of the year on whether to spend provincial transit dollars to buy 50 new cars, or whether to save money by refurbishing the old vehicles and spend heavily on a southeast transit system.

Transit officials will start seeking bidders for that huge order, and it will take two years for them to arrive once they’re ordered. Meanwhile, the latest generation of Siemens cars is arriving to top up the fleet for next year’s West LRT launch.

They claim that relief from delays will not come until the U2's are replaced!? Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the newer SD160's have been more of a problem than the older units....
But given passenger demand that forces Calgary to keep putting the old Siemens U2 vehicles back on the tracks, real relief won’t come until they’re replaced — and that’s a slow process that only starts next year, when a mere three of the 82 clunkers are retired.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/expect+q...l#ixzz1Y1j3NQG1

There is a board room set up at O.B.M.F where they have meetings about the new series 9 cars. Very cool renderings on the new trains.....they look like the series 8s but more streamlined and "harder lines" to the trains, and a different window configerment that I could see....looks like an area where bikes can be hung up near the cab area....but who knows.

The tender will have the specs when it shows up.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a board room set up at O.B.M.F where they have meetings about the new series 9 cars. Very cool renderings on the new trains.....they look like the series 8s but more streamlined and "harder lines" to the trains, and a different window configerment that I could see....looks like an area where bikes can be hung up near the cab area....but who knows.

The tender will have the specs when it shows up.

No renderings on the interior, or at least information on how Calgary Transit wants the interior? The number one complaint about the Series 8's amongst people I know is how the interior is set up, and they aren't pleased to hear that we will get 50 more of that design. The number two complaint, as was mentioned a couple posts ago, is that they seem to break down frequently. We've gotten on a train we know is right after a Series 8 train, and then had to wait because 'The train ahead has had mechanical difficulties', many times over the last few months.

We really would like the Series 9's to be different in those two ways.

Seating is actually good. I prefer standing and Series 8 encourages standing! Most metros in the world are laid our like this only.

But I hope Calgary Transit is looking at something other than Siemens. Please Bombardier!

No other metro/LRT system in Canada, as far as I know, is laid out inside like the Series 8's. Nor are a lot of US or Europe ones. Either way, in my personal experience, both sitting and standing in a Series 8 are inconvenient to the passenger.

Agreed that we should not limit ourselves to Siemens, although it's probably too late to change the Series 9's.

• 1 month later...
A little birdie told me that there are 4 vendors for the series 9 cars:

Seimens

Bombardier

Kinkisharyo

CAF or Skoda (1 or the other)

I guess we will find out January 2012 when the tender gets awarded.

About time that Kinkisharyo got in...they've done good work with Hong Kong's SP1900's, I can't wait to see what they can do.

Although I'm surprised that Ansaldobreda isn't bidding...

• 2 months later...

I think that the best option would be for Calgary and Edmonton to order their new LRVs together. Calgary needs 50 and Edmonton needs 20 so that will make a total order of 70 cars which should get a fairly decent price per car given that it is quite a large order.

I also think that it is best that the current SD160s return as series 9s for both cities and heres why. Calgary will have 38 series 8s by the end of this year and they plan to make the SD160 Series 5/6/7 vehicles compatible with the series 8s in the future which would have 110 LRVs that will couple with each other. If we get Siemens (2339-2388) that will make for 160 LRVs that can be coupled together. If we get them from another vendor (2401-2450), we will have 50 LRVs that wont be compatible with any other units. Also, they can order the Series 9s from Siemens to have the same seating arrangemt as the series 5/6/7.

Same goes for Edmonton. They currently have 37 U2s to be refurbished, and 37 SD160 Series 8s. If Siemens again, ETS will have a set of 37 cars and another set of 57 cars. If somebody else, three sets of 37, 37, and 20 respectivley that wont be compatible with the other sets.

There is no reason why a product from another manufacturer can't be made to be compatible with any of Calgary's other cars already in service.

Dan

Depends on the level of compatibility and the willingness to pay for the design and engineering work. Thats one area where Siemens has a clear lead, as they've already got the know-how and anyone else will need to spend a fair bit of time/money to make whatever they have work with what CT already has.

I think that the best option would be for Calgary and Edmonton to order their new LRVs together. Calgary needs 50 and Edmonton needs 20 so that will make a total order of 70 cars which should get a fairly decent price per car given that it is quite a large order.

I also think that it is best that the current SD160s return as series 9s for both cities and heres why. Calgary will have 38 series 8s by the end of this year and they plan to make the SD160 Series 5/6/7 vehicles compatible with the series 8s in the future which would have 110 LRVs that will couple with each other. If we get Siemens (2339-2388) that will make for 160 LRVs that can be coupled together. If we get them from another vendor (2401-2450), we will have 50 LRVs that wont be compatible with any other units. Also, they can order the Series 9s from Siemens to have the same seating arrangemt as the series 5/6/7.

Same goes for Edmonton. They currently have 37 U2s to be refurbished, and 37 SD160 Series 8s. If Siemens again, ETS will have a set of 37 cars and another set of 57 cars. If somebody else, three sets of 37, 37, and 20 respectivley that wont be compatible with the other sets.

The Seires 9 cars will not be built by Seimens, we will find out March 2012.

Depends on the level of compatibility and the willingness to pay for the design and engineering work. Thats one area where Siemens has a clear lead, as they've already got the know-how and anyone else will need to spend a fair bit of time/money to make whatever they have work with what CT already has.

It depends on what the specs are for the new cars. If CT specs compatibility with the old cars, than they will be. Design and engineering work is pretty secondary to anything else in this case, as it can be done if there is the willpower.

Siemens may have the lead in the sense that they built the older cars, but it certainly isn't insurmountable, nor enough of a game-changer to preclude anyone else from winning the bid. It's been done elsewhere, it can be done in Calgary.

Dan

Seems like Siemens has enough trouble getting their own cars to communicate with each other (never mind a different manufacturer).

Besides the issues with our Series 8s, Salt Lake’s new S70s seems to have occasional “communications problems“ (

). Portland had technical issues with their S70s (
). And our Series 8s can’t communicate with the Series 5/6/7 yet, as far as I know.

However, our original SDs run with the U2s; and San Diego’s S70s run with their SD100s (

) so we know Siemens is at least capable of doing that.

• Board Admin

Less than 37 waiting to be refurbished now. There are quite a few that have come back from Bombardier already. :)

Series 8 cars can not be coupled as the couplers are different, im time the series 5,6,7 will be modified to work with the 8s. The 9s will be compatible with the 8s as it is a requirement. I can guaranty the 9s will not be Siemens.