CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, armorand said:

Saw it on my way home, last night.

Those "do not hump" labels on the outer tarp, i still can't stop laughing at it... ?

Yeah an interesting name for a rail sorting method. (I think) I googled it a while back. 

17 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

Another note... Is it just me or are the Series 9s gutless as hell compared to the Series 5, 6, 7 ands 8s? 

Inside or Outside?

If inside, that was the whole point of them. Less seating. More room for more people and more accessible.

4 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Inside or Outside?

If inside, that was the whole point of them. Less seating. More room for more people and more accessible.

That's another thing I have wondered in the past. 

By gutless I am referring to the acceleration... They seem to take off very slow compared to the older vehicles.

1 hour ago, nsCEO said:

That's another thing I have wondered in the past. 

By gutless I am referring to the acceleration... They seem to take off very slow compared to the older vehicles.

It depends, down hill there gutless. Uphill more power for sure. When they first when into service they had some serious balls (both acceleration and breaking) They seem to have been dummied down since the first days of service. 

Overall pretty much the same. 

1 hour ago, huangyu said:

Not really anything new, as Calgary City Council approved the first series 10s this budget or 2 budgets ago for delivery to begin in 2021.

The thing that has fluctuated is the number of cars we were getting, due provincial funding. Worst case scenario was the 15 we see today. Best case scenario i believe was 33, with us essentially receiving cars 31-33 free because of discounts applied for ordering a certain number, etc.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:53 PM, LRT said:

It depends, down hill there gutless. Uphill more power for sure. When they first when into service they had some serious balls (both acceleration and breaking) They seem to have been dummied down since the first days of service. 

Overall pretty much the same. 

Was the performance limiting due to wheel flats or braking issues? 

18 hours ago, Andrei said:

Possibly to make it easier for operators to be consistent with their driving, regardless of what vehicle they're driving.

At least, my guess...

19 hours ago, Andrei said:

No not to my knowledge. But the S200s do have softer wheels and are prone to flatting and wearing out more quickly. The make a heck of a lot of noise too!

50 minutes ago, Jon Calon said:

Possibly to make it easier for operators to be consistent with their driving, regardless of what vehicle they're driving.

At least, my guess...

Sounds about right to me...

Full power acceleration going downhill would make passengers fly around to the software helps with that. However full braking going outbound at 39ave station with a 9 causes some hard braking around 10kph-0kph pulling into the station because of the slight downhill grade.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, Gsgeek540 said:

Not really anything new, as Calgary City Council approved the first series 10s this budget or 2 budgets ago for delivery to begin in 2021.

The thing that has fluctuated is the number of cars we were getting, due provincial funding. Worst case scenario was the 15 we see today. Best case scenario i believe was 33, with us essentially receiving cars 31-33 free because of discounts applied for ordering a certain number, etc.

With Siemens not making the cut for the Green Line I actually thought we wouldn't be getting anymore. Or have they figured out the reliability and supply issues?

• 2 months later...
Just now, nsCEO said:

My friend asked me a question that I didn't have an answer for. What are these for? 

20200522_134056.jpg

Because the S200s don’t have a station bars in the middle of the doorways, they installed these bars that swing out to assist boarding using the steps on the side of the train ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pantograf said:

I wonder what else is going to go wrong with the S200, now we have cracking floors on multiple units. 

20200617_194759.jpg

I believe that crack is occurring near the articulation.... Coincidentally has anybody notice the amount of flexing on the floor in the area of the articulation joint?

Not surprised that the floor is cracking in that area at all.