CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

2 hours ago, LRT said:

Lots of broken down / down for maintenance series 9s

Cars: 2432, 2447, 2434, 2467, 2435, 2420, 2448, 2444, 2428

And for whatever reason car to 2423 has been down for quite a while now.. Doors removed..

An entire four car series 9 consist got changed off at Anderson Garage this morning. Now that's just in the south. No idea on the status in NE

Could there be some kind of refit/update program in the works, aimed at addressing issues with the model?

• Like 1

Car 2423 was involved in an accident at 4th Ave almost a year ago and never got fixed and so it became a parts car.  The rest have cracking chevrons (part of the suspension) so they're being slowly repaired as it takes 100 man hours per car to fix the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I rode a Muni S200 consist just two weeks ago (got to do the cable cars and Caltrain on the same day too, great day!) and its neat to see how similar yet different they are.

Obviously the different door layout, and I imagine those sliding stairs are probably a maintenance headache, but they also have the terrible side seats (though I think their backs are ever-so-slightly higher) and the drive system makes the same sounds.

So it's kinda both reassuring and troubling that both fleets have similar parts issues. Are there any other S200 operators out there yet?

On 12/12/2019 at 4:15 PM, nsCEO said:

What exactly is the GFCI outlet on the right side of the cab near the floor for?

SD160s have them too. There's other GFCI outlets in the train in the overhead cabinets in the coach of the train.

I think they were installed for maintenance purposes. Plug in laptops and such.. ect

• 4 weeks later...

Car 2423 has been cannibalized for parts. What a sight to see. 

I can only compare this car to the car in San Francisco that has been cannibalized for parts that has been posted somewhere in this thread recently. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, LRT said:

Car 2423 has been cannibalized for parts. What a sight to see. 

I can only compare this car to the car in San Francisco that has been cannibalized for parts that has been posted somewhere in this thread recently. 

This just seems... so wrong.

Is there some kind of long-term plan to have it refit and returned to service? Now that we've taken delivery of the last of the S200s for a while, is there a production run of spare parts on its way here?

With the S10 purchase effectively dead, getting every vehicle possible into service should be a priority.

Well, there are people at the top who think that the S10s are still a possibility and discussions regarding "improvements" are ongoing. The accident  damage on car 2423 has been fixed by the body shop but now the value of the missing parts is in the hundreds of thousands and car 2469 that's still sitting in Sacramento is in similar condition. Car 2467 also has a large number of parts missing.

49 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Well, there are people at the top who think that the S10s are still a possibility and discussions regarding "improvements" are ongoing. The accident  damage on car 2423 has been fixed by the body shop but now the value of the missing parts is in the hundreds of thousands and car 2469 that's still sitting in Sacramento is in similar condition. Car 2467 also has a large number of parts missing.

Maybe they’ll send another train to replace the parts of car 2423... lol

On 1/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, LRT said:

Maybe they’ll send another train to replace the parts of car 2423... lol

That kind of thing has happened before: Montreal got 10 additional MPM10 sets as compensation for delivery delays and/or warranty issues. Ottawa got 5 additional D60LFs from NFI as warranty replacements.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I like that's it's "official". So, does that mean that 2467-B hasn't been harvested for organs yet? 

The “Official doner parts car” sign was printed at Anderson garage. The “Calgary 9 2467-A” sign was stuck on the windshield in Sacramento.

The entire car is a donor parts car. 

This car is missing it’s “A Truck” it’s on a orange service dolly with its pantograph up (sleep mode) Never seen that before on a LRV. Usually there powered down.  

It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Siemens rip apart perfectly good trains for parts. I don’t ever remember that with the series’s 7s or 8s

I’m blown away that Calgary’s decided to use them for the 10s. These cars are absolute shit!

10 hours ago, LRT said:

It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Siemens rip apart perfectly good trains for parts.

As I mentioned earlier, car 2467 was a perfectly good car until it wasn't when a number of Siemens employees used it to test the bumper at Canyon Meadows. Also, above is a pic of car 2467 sitting on an orange shop bogie,  occasionally it gets powered up with lights and on board systems on.