CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

And you used to get a chocolate bar for a quarter. Your point?

Dan

No need to be rude. I too am surprised at the cost, as I thought they would cost a bit less. But I can see the reason for the much higher than normal cost, seeing such major improvements and changes. It's great to see that our C-Train system is finally getting a completely new, more sophisticated type of car.

I can't wait to see what these cars will look like in real life!

These are nice looking trains for sure. I personally prefer the Buffalo scheme, though it does look a little busy in the video. Looking at the pictures, is the driver area going to be visible to passengers, or are they thinking of putting a dark glass in there?

No need to be rude. I too am surprised at the cost, as I thought they would cost a bit less. But I can see the reason for the much higher than normal cost, seeing such major improvements and changes.

I think Siemens actually lowballed this order just so that Calgary would stay with them after all the issues with our Series 8's. Our last 38 Series 8 SD160's cost us $136 Million back in 2010, which is $3.57 Million Per Car. Edmonton's were $3.8 Million Per Car. With inflation and all the changes we are getting with these new S200's, I think we are getting quite a deal at $3.2 Million a piece.

These are nice looking trains for sure. I personally prefer the Buffalo scheme, though it does look a little busy in the video. Looking at the pictures, is the driver area going to be visible to passengers, or are they thinking of putting a dark glass in there?

In this video from the city, they mention it will be easier for passengers to see out the front through the glass wall:

Also of note is the mention of improved air conditioning.

I dont know how far back in time you are going but the first SDs were 4 million a piece when they were ordered.

The 1st 27 U2 cars were $954,000.00 in July 1977 when the cars were ordered. WHAT A DEAL!!!

In this video from the city, they mention it will be easier for passengers to see out the front through the glass wall:

Also of note is the mention of improved air conditioning.

Russell Davies mentions that the door has moved 1 module back, the video shows the door in the in the normal place, however the pictures show the door in the new spot. Its going to be a pain in the ass to access the cab.

Here's the video CTV had posted, but in much better quality:

Attached is a cropped pic of what appears to be a colour screen mounted on one of the stanchions in the video - it appears to show the line you're on, the next stop, the weather forecast, advertisements, and "Welcome aboard the S200 built specifically for Calgary"

Also, the Siemens S200 design book: http://s3.documentcl...design-book.pdf courtesy @Beltliner403 - Loads of cool stuff in there!

s200 screen.jpg

post-3551-0-54658400-1378954292_thumb.jp

The only reason I like The Bow over The Buffalo is because of the LED tail/running lights that run on the sides of the cab, The Buffalo does not have them at all. The Mask has an aggressive front end design... I'm not to crazy about it but because of the similar LED lights, I would choose it over The Buffalo because of that safety feature.

All car designs may display a "Approaching Station" sign indicator on the exterior of the trailing cab.

I guess we should keep in mind that the trains livery has nothing to do with the designs, this pole is only for the front cab design.

All car designs may display a "Approaching Station" sign indicator on the exterior of the trailing cab.

I've been wondering about that and how it would work. I suppose you could tie it into the announcement system, but even then, what advantage does that offer over just brake lights?

• 3 weeks later...