CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

This article is relevant here too:

As soon as this week, the city will announce the manufacturer of the next batch of 50 new-generation trains. But only 20 of those will go toward replacing the oldest of the U2 cars, and the rest will be used to expand the fleet for four-car train service beginning in 2015.

Other bidders beside Siemens are vying for the city’s new 50-car LRT contract, which includes an option for council to purchase more. While the other bidders are a city secret for now, several other manufacturers — including Canada’s Bombardier — are capable of tailoring an LRT car to Calgary’s system.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Aging+cars+drag+down+transit+performance+report/8865117/story.html

It's not much of a secret, some of the other vendors are:

Siemens

Bombardier

The secret is who won the contract!

I think Siemens will be the top vendor; and Bombardier will be the second top vender. Does Bombardier have any high floor light rail vehicles that Calgary transit can order?

I think Siemens will be the top vendor; and Bombardier will be the second top vender. Does Bombardier have any high floor light rail vehicles that Calgary transit can order?

They sure do - check out the Flexity Swift high-floor. It was used to replace the same U2 vehicles Calgary has in Frankfurt, so it would be an off-the-rack solution.

Source: Bombardier.com

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

Heck of a train! Doubtful we will see it in North America though. I like the fact that it has retractable mirrors, who needs cameras they suck, they can mount cameras outside and inside if they want for security reasons but there way to distracting for the operator and all they do is cause confusion and give cctv faults anyway.

Just read apparently the three styles will be ones the public can choose from and decide on.

Cars look really nice!

One of the three styles:

BT5z5RoCQAE56Z7.jpg

Check the fleet number - 2401

Interior:

BT5zEwkIQAAH_wH.jpg

BT5ySC0IIAAMRfl.jpg

Interior looks great, and I love the red stripe on the floor!

It's actually a very nice looking train, I think a lot of us wanted to see another manufacturer just for a different look. I like the rendering with the long tail lights to the sides of the cab, also like that the doors are closer together

From the CT website:

siemens_new_ctrain.jpg

siemens_new_ctrain1.jpg

Just read apparently the three styles will be ones the public can choose from and decide on.

Cars look really nice!

One of the three styles:

BT5z5RoCQAE56Z7.jpg

Check the fleet number - 2401

Interior:

BT5zEwkIQAAH_wH.jpg

BT5ySC0IIAAMRfl.jpg

Interior looks great, and I love the red stripe on the floor!

I love the design of these cars. I wonder if these cars will start with four cars trains.

Here's a video from Siemens:

http://calgary.ctvne...aylistPageNum=1

Shows various shots of the exterior, interior (in different colours), and the cab. Also has a rendering of the train running down 9th St as well as 7th Ave. So cool! :D Also of note is the cars in the video show a set of doors directly behind the cab, while the photo renders have a space for seating and a window behind the cab before the first set of doors.

Here are some hi-res renders of the cars:

The Bow

The Buffalo

The Mask

Interior

Interior 2

Cab

The Mask 2-car Consist

The Buffalo 2-car Consist

The Bow 2-car Consist

Photos from 660 News and Global TV.

SD-200s, at a average cost of 3.2 Million a piece and a order of 65 of them at a value of 200 million. This will get interesting when they enter service in 2015. I hope the seating wont be like the series 8. I'm surprised at a cost of 3.2 Million a piece. Used to be the cars averaged a cost a little over a million.