CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

Series 8 cars can not be coupled as the couplers are different, im time the series 5,6,7 will be modified to work with the 8s. The 9s will be compatible with the 8s as it is a requirement. I can guaranty the 9s will not be Siemens.

So I guess the City has become fed up with them, then...?

They did not meet tender criteria. There is currently a legal dispute between the city and Siemens.

About time! It seems Siemens has really dropped the ball lately -- could it be that they are slowly becoming (well, at least in North America anyway) the Blackberry of LRT car manufacturers?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new storage bays at OBMF that will be built this year are 12 metres longer than the existing ones - 1 metre per car longer. I assume that the reason for the difference is that CT wants to get different LRVs.

Really? Courious to find out where you got that info, I would love to read up on it. Please post link..

• 4 months later...

I actually don't mind the series 8 seating. There's a lot of open space and I can move around. I'm a teenager and I only take the train during midday so I don't know how well people fare on it during rush hour. Probably really cramped I'm assuming.

A suggestion I made was to use the padded seating you see on the first gen SD160's and use those with the perimeter seating on the Series 8. I would like that.

I actually don't mind the series 8 seating. There's a lot of open space and I can move around. I'm a teenager and I only take the train during midday so I don't know how well people fare on it during rush hour. Probably really cramped I'm assuming.

A suggestion I made was to use the padded seating you see on the first gen SD160's and use those with the perimeter seating on the Series 8. I would like that.

Actually, that was essentially my suggestion too. Unfortunately, it would lead to a big problem with people sleeping. Can't sleep too comfortably on the current Series 8 seats!

Actually, that was essentially my suggestion too. Unfortunately, it would lead to a big problem with people sleeping. Can't sleep too comfortably on the current Series 8 seats!

I get the feeling that some of the drunks don't care and find those seats comfortable enough to pass out on.

Hmmm, so it did make it to Calgary.....

That car is more like a street car, but they are showing off the low floor technology, any idea how long its in town?

July 18-20. It's pretty sweet and definitely worth checking out. They're handing out cardboard models of it and you can sit in the cab if you so choose. :)

Checked it out today, leaves tomorrow (Friday) and heads back to Ontario. The display is destined to be used as part of the TTC order.

Spoke to the rep today, he said that the demo car has been paid partially by the TTC, the TTC will be using it as a demo tool to educate the public. This car will be off to Ontario and be in 2 city's in August.

Very nice car, huge upgrade to what we have now.

The Mayor visited the demo, he mentioned that within 10 years Calgary will have its next Ctrain line. Maybe Calgary should think about having a streetcar system, might be the most economical way to go.

Stopped by on my lunch break to take a look. Slightly disappointed the car wasn't complete - they only have half a car (or less actually, now that I think about it) with a mirror setup where the rest of it would be.

Some really interesting facts regarding the vehicle:

1) The opportunity to run it without overhead catenary - this thing can pick up lots of juice via induction through a pair of cables buried 50cm underneath the tracks. Installation costs unfortunately are just as high as stringing poles, but for neighborhoods who really don't want any more visual pollution, this might be worthwhile. The power gets put into super capacitors on the roof and apparently can run the train for a kilometer or two before it needs another shot of juice.

2) Level boarding from a sidewalk that's all of 4ish inches higher than a normal sidewalk, and the car can actually raise or lower the suspension by upwards of 8" to automatically match the sidewalk.

And of course, it's made in Canada. Though now that I think about it, where? Thunder Bay? La Pocatiere? Elsewhere?

Jon

Spoke to the rep today, he said that the demo car has been paid partially by the TTC, the TTC will be using it as a demo tool to educate the public. This car will be off to Ontario and be in 2 city's in August.

Despite what he told you, it wasn't by the TTC.....

Dan