Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghYHZ

Pictou County Transit.......remember them??

19 posts in this topic

Here ia a shot of Pictou County Transit 31841, taken in June 1988 in New Glasgow, NS.

Pctou_County_Transit_31841___June_1988.jpg

post-192-1309102020_thumb.jpg

So what happen to that transit? No more funding?

So what happen to that transit? No more funding?

The Atlantic Provinces aren't real good at providing funding for the municipal transit agencies. If I recall correctly, Pictou's transit folded after the region was unable to secure adequate operating assistance from all three levels of goverment. Codiac Transit bought one of the Orion 1's when the fleet was sold off.

Here ia a shot of Pictou County Transit 31841, taken in June 1988 in New Glasgow, NS.

Times have changed... long time since I've seen the Sobey's Food Village signs and the "low prices" have also disappeared :(

Here are three from mu collection. The first two I took in August 1983. Enjoy!

PIctou_County_Transit_31801_8_83___RGH.jpg

PIctou_County_Transit_31802_8_83___RGH_.jpg

PIctou_County_Transit_401.jpg

post-211-1309120272_thumb.jpg

post-211-1309120288_thumb.jpg

post-211-1309120308_thumb.jpg

The Atlantic Provinces aren't real good at providing funding for the municipal transit agencies. If I recall correctly, Pictou's transit folded after the region was unable to secure adequate operating assistance from all three levels of goverment. Codiac Transit bought one of the Orion 1's when the fleet was sold off.

That's very sad, today people are driving. If anyone needs transportation, taxi is the only source!

Do they have a Handi-Transit like Dryden Transit?

Something called "CHAD Transit" which says it's open to any users: CHAD Transit website. Anyone know any more?

I definitely remember PC Transit. Great find with the guide. Too bad the system folded. I think there's a community paratransit service but it would be nice to see a public service re-introduced as PC has some the potential of building a great transit culture.

Westville votes against contribution to transit study for Pictou county

Read the full article in The [Pictou County] News

WESTVILLE –Westville councillors voted against putting $2,500 towards a public transit study for Pictou County despite admitting it makes them look like the ones dragging their feet.

Mayor Roger MacKay was the only one who opposed rejecting the request.

Coun. Charlie Sutherland said that the cost was not budgeted for and that the town simply did not have the money to spare. ...

Here are three from mu collection. The first two I took in August 1983. Enjoy!

I remember seeing these buses when I was in New Glasgow during the early to mid 1980s...the Orion I buses were also used in the Fortress of Louisbourg (I was actually on them a few times when I was there back in 1980, 1986 and 1990), and they were all powered by painfully loud Detroit Diesel 6V53 engines.

I remember seeing these buses when I was in New Glasgow during the early to mid 1980s...the Orion I buses were also used in the Fortress of Louisbourg (I was actually on them a few times when I was there back in 1980, 1986 and 1990), and they were all powered by painfully loud Detroit Diesel 6V53 engines.

I rode them at louisburg too. The single panel sedan door was a novelty to me then.

I rode them at louisburg too. The single panel sedan door was a novelty to me then.

Wow.

The Michelin plant looks massive... went on Google Maps to see the local area. Industrial service a possibility?

Nova Charter Service / Acadian Lines ran single door Orions at Louisburg. Most of them were former Airporter units but were out of service and parked in the back yard at the Dartmouth garage in 1996 except for a couple that were licensed for charter work. When Irving-owned SMT bought the Gillis family operations one two-door Orion in the Acadian Lines paint scheme showed up and stayed parked for months at SMT's Moncton garage until one day the entire fleet of active and retired Orions passed through Moncton northbound on the highway. Rumour is they ended up in the Connaisseur yard in Montreal, destined to become the trolley conversions Mr. Calce was known for. It was quite the sight to see this convoy of Orions belching blue smoke along the Berry Mills Road.

CHAD Transit tries out proposed routes for fixed bus service

Kevin Adshade
Published on November 27, 2016
www.ngnews.ca

“I think this is going in a positive direction for the community,” said Danny MacGillivray, who is the executive director of CHAD Transit. The non-profit group is spearheading a movement to bring a form of fixed route public transit back, and its staff and board members did a test run of the proposed routes on Saturday.

[...]
Two routes are being considered – a 90-minute loop to run three times a day early in the morning, around noon and again in the early evening, which would include all five towns. Another would run several times during the day and include New Glasgow, Trenton, Westville and Stellarton.