Greyhound Boneyard

After doing some digging around today in the Faser Valley I came across the Greyhound boneyard in Agassiz. Obviously some of the vehicles there will never be on the road again, but quite a few did have paper slips in the windows saying "DO NOT REMOVE PARTS" so there is some hope for them.

Here's a list of the buses in there, I'm missing one unit number though

and photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/s...57626752807612/

Chris Cassidy

Hmm... By chance are you missing the number off of the coach on the far left of this image? http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5734614577/ !? If so, that is one of the Ex-US 102-C3 or 102-D3 units. It would have been one of the Canadian Greyhound 8000 series. And as I look through more of your images, there are 3 more of the Ex-US units in this image on the right: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5734614027/ . I also see 8028, 8027, 8030, 8023 which are former US units.

Hmm... By chance are you missing the number off of the coach on the far left of this image? http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5734614577/ !? If so, that is one of the Ex-US 102-C3 or 102-D3 units. It would have been one of the Canadian Greyhound 8000 series. And as I look through more of your images, there are 3 more of the Ex-US units in this image on the right: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5734614027/ . I also see 8028, 8027, 8030, 8023 which are former US units.

Yep! Couldn't find a good vantage point for that unit.

Totally forgot about listing the 8000 units :rolleyes:

Chris Cassidy

Appearances can be deceiving. I've noticed that there's not many robbed parts but there could be other underlying issues as to why they're sitting in 'storage' and/or they could be awaiting authorization for repair. Forget the exact amount but if a unit needs 'x amount' worth of parts/repairs we need approval from the powers that be.

• 2 weeks later...
We should keep a eye out to see if any of those stored coaches end up being sold.

Or better yet if anyone spots any in the near future..We dont know if anything is wrong with any of these and who knows if their just their waiting for parts or repairs,etc. I doubt many of these are retired .

They've been sitting there a long time, does anybody know if anythign that was stored in the boneyard has ever come back into service?

From my experience I've never seen anything from the 'boneyard' come back into service. But that could only be at my shop and could be different at others..

From my experience I've never seen anything from the 'boneyard' come back into service. But that could only be at my shop and could be different at others..

Thats not entirely true... as I do recall I believe Airwolf and some others deadheaded coaches to Calgary to go into service for First Bus, So they may not come back into Greyhound service but maybe they will come back into service for someone else! Does anyone know why they would send these coaches to the boneyard especially since theirs so many sitting their, why couldn't they use parts off others to repair some of the better ones.

Thats not entirely true... as I do recall I believe Airwolf and some others deadheaded coaches to Calgary to go into service for First Bus, So they may not come back into Greyhound service but maybe they will come back into service for someone else! Does anyone know why they would send these coaches to the boneyard especially since theirs so many sitting their, why couldn't they use parts off others to repair some of the better ones.

"No cannabalizing coaches".. Recieved that memo... Jeez at least a few months ago at least... I can't remember when.. So in theory we're not supposed to rob parts to keep other coaches running.. If we don't have the part in stock we're supposed to down the bus until the part(s) that it needs is in stock.

Airwolf deadheaded some of TMN&O coaches from Calgary to Vancouver

That was December of 2008 that I got those calls. And I only ended up with one TNM&O coach of the three that I deadheaded, 8030. The other coaches I picked up were 981 and 1042. Both of these coaches ARE still in service.

That was December of 2008 that I got those calls. And I only ended up with one TNM&O coach of the three that I deadheaded, 8030. The other coaches I picked up were 981 and 1042. Both of these coaches ARE still in service.

Yes I know Ive seen 981 doing the Grande Prairie local a number of times...And it's TORONTO based and Im sure it is one with No BC Plate! Thats why their only using it for the Gp local and not the through runs to BC.

Yes I know Ive seen 981 doing the Grande Prairie local a number of times...And it's TORONTO based and Im sure it is one with No BC Plate! Thats why their only using it for the Gp local and not the through runs to BC.

Actually 981 IS BC plated. I drove her just last week. She is Ontario based but actually in Ottawa, not Toronto. 1042 is Toronto based and also BC plated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Any boneyard updates?? I wonder if maybe they have these up for sale..cause just because First wont put them back in service, for some other operator it may be worth their while to fix it. As most companies dont pull a bus from service just because it needs like $5000 in repairs...I believe First does though. Some operators spend 10-15,000 if its a decent bus! Cause with maintenance it will keep going for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Any boneyard updates?? I wonder if maybe they have these up for sale..cause just because First wont put them back in service, for some other operator it may be worth their while to fix it. As most companies dont pull a bus from service just because it needs like $5000 in repairs...I believe First does though. Some operators spend 10-15,000 if its a decent bus! Cause with maintenance it will keep going for many years.

Last time I went past there last month it didn't look like much had changed.

Next time I head out to Harrison I'll make a point to stop by and take some notes.

Chris Cassidy

Anything I've seen retired from the hound is either oddball, or pretty much pooched.

• 2 months later...

1001 has been experiencing serious mechanical failure in the last couple of months. In fact, I had to abbandon her each of the last three times I drove her. I can't understand why 989 had to be retired. 1006 appears to have also been retired. She's parked in the back of the Vancouver yard, still has her plates but a note indicating that, "This coach has not been approved for salvage. Do not remove parts!" has been taped to both the front and back ends.

We had 1003 into Grande Prairie a week ago, she seems to be still going strong. I'm assuming 1002 ad 1009 are still lurking around some place..as well as 980,3,6 I know are too.I think those are the only ones of the older units still operating. Im not sure about the 990 series. Any ideas? Also is Aggasiz basically to store coaches and take parts off them?