Greyhound Boneyard

Did you know it was retired?? Did anyone else know it was retired?? Maybe people didn't know or maybe people speculated that it would be repaired?? There's that option, too... Maybe they're awaiting vehicle repair authorization before they deem it retired.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for insurance purposes, a vehicle that is deemed written-off to a company, they have to hold onto equipment for at least a year before they can dispose of it? I vaguely remember someone telling me that before, but not sure of the legal reasons for it.

If a vehicle is written off it becomes the ownership of the insurance company. At the point the insurance company is free to sell the vehicle for either scrap or salvage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Went to Agassiz today because I needed some photographs for a school assignment so I swung by the boneyard. Looks like all hound buses were cleared except for two buses and a trailer. G unit #1234 and D4505 #1265, and an unidentified burned up trailer are there still.

16280918486_baa8c92e29_c.jpgHound boneyard-1-18-15-1 by Translink fan, on Flickr

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I read it on the board or just heard it but apparently a lot of the Canadian Coaches that went through refurb were in much worse shape then the American coaches due to corrosion and other issues so a decision was made not to refurb anymore Canadian coaches.

Aren't the frames Stainless Steel?

Or i guess other components like floor boards and such.

So will they keep bringing up US Coaches? or place an order for more D4505's?

Last time I checked the Canadian operation just got a few hundred newly-refurbished 102-DL3 units that will be good for many more years to come. There isn't a need for new buses, and if they do get some, they will probably be more used buses from the US, just like those 2008 X3-45s that came up last October.

does anybody know the exact location of the Toronto Greyhound boneyard?

There is some dead storage areas around the garage down off Lake Shore Blvd where old coaches are being stored and parted out.

The original 'Boneyard' as per the title of this thread where Greyhound stores retired buses off-property is the one in Agassiz. Otherwise like most transit companies they store most of their equipment (working or not) on their own property.

It will be interesting to see if any Prevosts make it out west...or if their just gonna keep them East, and I wonder if their BC plated?

Kinda of the wrong thread to ask that question, but maybe most likely Alberta plated because I never seen BC plate on Greyhound coach before.

• 1 month later...

Got a tip from a friend this morning of some hounds in a scrap yard on Mitchell Island in Richmond BC. Don't have a decent zoom lens so these were the best I could get. They were taken from the other side of the river as they were so close to the shore, there was no access on the island itself.

21044433070_d80c859d6a_z.jpgDSC_6971 hound-3 by Dannny29, on Flickr

21222124022_380305be1d_z.jpgDSC_6970 hound-2 by Dannny29, on Flickr

21044416970_246f5d1484_z.jpgDSC_6975 hound-4 by Dannny29, on Flickr