Canada Line

RZ350

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Might just be me but I'm pretty sure the speaker quality in the new trains is worse than the first 20 trains.

PA speaker quality in any transit vehicle or station often tends to be so-so at best. Stations often tend to be worse, because of the echo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/capstan-station-skytrain-canada-line-construction
I find it a bit strange that the station between YVR-Airport and Sea Island Centre isn’t part of the YVR expansion plans (at least from what I could see). I feel like that would sort of balance out operations along the two branches, but obviously there’s really no demand for such a station right now or probably even 3-5 years from now due to the COVID variant scares and all that.

6 hours ago, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/capstan-station-skytrain-canada-line-construction
I find it a bit strange that the station between YVR-Airport and Sea Island Centre isn’t part of the YVR expansion plans (at least from what I could see). I feel like that would sort of balance out operations along the two branches, but obviously there’s really no demand for such a station right now or probably even 3-5 years from now due to the COVID variant scares and all that.

I think YVR actually ditched the fourth terminal idea (beside the existing International / USA Terminal) from their master plan for just existing terminal extensions. So it seems unlikely that it will ever get used.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I think YVR actually ditched the fourth terminal idea (beside the existing International / USA Terminal) from their master plan for just existing terminal extensions. So it seems unlikely that it will ever get used.

Something about the terminal extensions does ring a bell. Capstan Station is pretty close to Aberdeen but I do understand there are provisions in place for it and support the station being built as the development around there has built up quite quickly. I’m sure many people will complain about the extra stop even though they could still be riding on a slower 98 B-Line bus today considering the line almost never got built in the first place due to short-sighted politicians. I don’t think the planners had much say in the Canada Line project as from what I’ve read around the internet it sounds like we could’ve gotten another Bombardier line but the Canada Line we got was cheaper and had a faster construction timeline to ensure it was open for the Olympics. That’s what I remember and I could completely be making that up, but I could’ve sworn Bombardier was at least a bidder for the project.

@8010 You remember correctly. The other big issues with the RAVExpress bid were:

• The terms of the competition didn't allow for equipment commonality to be taken into account
  • The wider loading gauge used by InTransitBC is better for mobility devices — and bear in mind that Vancouver had a quadriplegic mayor at the time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1