Canada Line

RZ350

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Danthetransitfan8074 said:

No, the Canada Line trains are more wide so the track gauge will be too wide for the Expo Line/M line trains.

Actually the track gauge itself is both the same at 1435mm. The Canada Line trains are wider - that's the loading gauge.

But the other two differences are that the Expo/Millennium Line trains have two side rails for power while the Canada Line has one, and, most importantly, the Expo/Millennium Line trains use linear induction for propulsion (hence the giant strip of metal down the middle of the track) whereas the Canada Line tracks can only support conventionally propelled trains.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

I have a question, would it be possible for a mk 1 set of 2 from the Expo Line be able to operate on the Canada Line?

Different voltage, different loading gauge, different propulsion system.

57 minutes ago, Danthetransitfan8074 said:

No, the Canada Line trains are more wide so the track gauge will be too wide for the Expo Line/M line trains.

Both are 1435mm standard gauge.

• Like 1

Isn't Bombardier making Innovia trains that use the same conventional motors as the Rotem cars on the Canada Line? I believe the Saudis have ordered such models, so it wouldn't be that much of an adaptation for Vancouver.

As for loading gauge, cite Berlin's IK trains, some of which have been adapted for the large profile lines with doorway extensions and modified third rail shoes. But that wouldn't be as extreme as two completely different kinds of propulsion systems.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

Managed to capture this at BCH station a few minutes ago

21CA104C-D7AE-4D99-8342-BEFA732321A8.jpeg

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Why do we have to use acronyms that require a google search. Can’t we just use the full names?

Edited by translink
Got my answer.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, translink said:

What’s BCH? I can’t think of a single station that has the initials of BCH.

I'm guessing it stands for Broadway City Hall

I will acknowledge that it is a rather tricky initialism

Sidenote - just out of curiosity, was there any fleet number on the train there?

Edit - welp, it looks like I answered the question at literally the same time as the person above ?

Edited by bob32189
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bob32189 said:

I'm guessing it stands for Broadway City Hall

I will acknowledge that it is a rather tricky initialism

Sidenote - just out of curiosity, was there any fleet number on the train there?

Edit - welp, it looks like I answered the question at literally the same time as the person above ?

Fleet number for the new train is 121/221, it was shown as such on the TransLink Instagram a couple of months ago. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:53 AM, Transit geek said:

Isn't Bombardier making Innovia trains that use the same conventional motors as the Rotem cars on the Canada Line? I believe the Saudis have ordered such models, so it wouldn't be that much of an adaptation for Vancouver.

As for loading gauge, cite Berlin's IK trains, some of which have been adapted for the large profile lines with doorway extensions and modified third rail shoes. But that wouldn't be as extreme as two completely different kinds of propulsion systems.

Bombardier does offer the Innovia vehicles with either LIM or traction motor propulsion systems.   Is it possible to refit a Bombardier Innovia from the E/M lines to operate on the C line?  Sure.  Anything is possible if you're willing to throw enough money at it.  But why would you want to?  It's not as if the E/M lines have a surplus of rolling stock that isn't being used. Might it have made for a better system overall if all three lines used the same vehicles?  Yes.  But that boat sailed so so long ago. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...