Canada Line

RZ350

1 hour ago, Dane said:

So, no. LOL. Honestly that area needs way better transit. Anything rapid on rails is likely excessive though. Just from a cost to use perspective. The Canada Line barely can sustain YVR service levels with its ridership for that branch, let  alone a bunch of farmers fields and at-best hourly ferry service. 

I think a BRT service with tri artic's should be fine.

2 hours ago, Dane said:

So, no. LOL. Honestly that area needs way better transit. Anything rapid on rails is likely excessive though. Just from a cost to use perspective. The Canada Line barely can sustain YVR service levels with its ridership for that branch, let  alone a bunch of farmers fields and at-best hourly ferry service. 

Yeah, but I feel that the cost could make it doable since you'd only have a few stations, 2-4 in Richmond, 1-2 in Ladner, and Tssaw. Mills and Ferry, and since each station is around 3 million each, that could be a substantial money saver, + you'd save money with buses no longer having to use Highway 99/17, which could help improve service in Delta as well, and could build another yard to compensate the Bridgeport OMC not being in the best location in terms of fleet expansion.

Saving $15 million in stations would irrelevant in what would quite literally be a project over three billion dollars. The stations aren't in the grand scheme what costs money. It's real estate, right of way and equipment that are the big ticket items. 

• Like 3

Not to mention that the Canada Line is designed and built, not as a long-distance commuter line, but as urban rapid transit supporting continuous intensive development and connectivity with a dense surface-transit network. Putting stations further apart than about 1000 m undermines this objective.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Reviving an old post.  Figured this would be a better place than the SkyTrain order thread since it's for the Canada Line.  Slightly new design on the inside and upgrades to the OMC.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/new-canada-line-trains-design-2020

Some A/C that actually works would be nice. Why is the A/C on majority of the existing fleet so weak anyway?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, 8010 said:

Some A/C that actually works would be nice. Why is the A/C on majority of the existing fleet so weak anyway?

I don't know, but I've sent in complaints about it, and I've gotten an answer back saying that "the system on that train was inspected and it was discovered to be working according to specifications". No other explanation for the suffering.

I can interpret that in two ways:

1) the A/C system is actually already more powerful, but they are intentionally not running it on a cool enough setting.

2) the A/C system was designed to work to the current operating specification (as a maximum) and cannot be made any cooler by changing settings.

And now with this announcement, it is revealed that the best interpretation is probably the latter. That actually makes me somewhat less angry, because the terrible temperature/humidity in the trains is due to a single past decision, rather than a constantly recurring sin of negligence. But I'm glad it's something they'll address with new orders.

• Like 2

2 fits with the narrative of "any possible corners were cut and everything was made to be as cheap as possible" so yeah that's probably the one.

My cynical side says it's not going to be any better, because ProTransBC has no profit motive to make improvements to the quality of the system. They'll run the A/C of the new trains at whatever they can get away with, same temperature but with cost savings for themselves.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Express691 said:

Judging by the grab-bars above the seats it looks like we're getting the same seat model, since these vehicles are owned by TransLink it would've been nice if they picked the same seats as the Mark 3 trains to allow for a little extra room, oh well. I could be wrong though.

17 hours ago, 8010 said:

Judging by the grab-bars above the seats it looks like we're getting the same seat model, since these vehicles are owned by TransLink it would've been nice if they picked the same seats as the Mark 3 trains to allow for a little extra room, oh well. I could be wrong though.

I wonder if the new ones will have the textured seating upholstery used on everything else or the same smooth stuff as the 2008s because SNC Lavalin is cheap?

6 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I love how you answered your own question at the end.

Not really, because there's a chance they actually have the textured upholstery unless there's something you know that I don't. Either way, that doesn't really mean anything because these are still the exact same trains as our existing 11 year old units.

I noticed the metal bar that run along the ceiling is blocking the AC outflow 

maybe removing the metal bar could or reconfigured with something else could potentially increase AC circulations 

The metal adsorbed the cold air and make it inefficient 

just my observations 

Maybe it is required for the structural integrity of the cell of the Train ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...