New Flyer Xcelsior Demonstrator

Enviro 500

I spent my afternoon searching for the Xcelsior, and once I finally found it, I really enjoyed riding it. Unfortunately, we experienced some problems on our last trip to Capilano University; as we were climbing Lillooet Road, the driver informed me of two lights on her dash, they read "ENGINE FAN FAULT" and "LOW HYD."

When we arrived at the Capilano University terminus, she parked her bus in the parking lot and called the garage for some assistance; while she was explaining the different dash lights to a mechanic, another driver came up and pointed out a leak at the rear of the bus, once she communicated the leak to the mechanic, he told her to abandon the vehicle.

The driver who pointed out the leak claimed that it was transmission fluid, although some simple research on the internet and a brief phone call with George led to the idea that it was probably power steering fluid as the mechanism is commonly located in the area in which the leak occurred and the colour matches that of power steering fluid rather than that of transmission fluid.

You can see the substance leaking through one of the latches:

XRL01.JPG

The puddle forming on the pavement:

XRL04.JPG

This is a shot from beneath the bus where the fluid could be seen leaking from:

XRL02.JPG

I think that this photo shows the colour of the fluid best:

XRL03.JPG

The trail of fluid left by the bus:

XRL05.JPG

A shot of the area in which the bus was abandoned:

XRL10.JPG

The Engine Fan Fault light on is a common thing thing to see on new flyer buses and is rarely an issue.

The LOW HYD would mean that the hydraulic fluid in the power steering is low? (Dont quote me as i dont know much about power steering)

Fan drive and power steering come fro the same tank.

Oakville went with the optional electric fan drive array.

More photos of the Xcelsior are posted on my site from yesterday's PM run on line 255, driven by one of the nicest and sweetest drivers in West Van!

http://www.trans-continental.ca/vancouver/...ewflyerXDE40/#9

We also randomly stumbled upon the sign for CMBC line 106:

http://www.trans-continental.ca/vancouver/...ewflyerXDE40/#1

Enjoy!

Dave

Also, I like the Toronto-style destination signs that they're using for the 255. =O

West Van knows how to program signs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw the re-emergence of CHEC if TransLink bought them. :lol: When was the last time a Luminator sign was in Burnaby?

lol... off topic... but TransLink seems to be getting better at mastering those sign programmings... and actually I've noticed some inconsistencies with West Van's signage while waiting for the Xcelsior to come by (which it never did):

- Some of the older Luminator flip-dots still seem to use mixed-case letters, while all the others used full uppercase letters. Routes 251, 252, and 255 are prime candidates for such signage.

- Some NovaBuses have mixed-case signage for route 255, but it just looks awful on the Axion displays.

- Axion buses also rarely use stacked text nowadays if at all... two separate frames are the norm now compared to the beautiful two-line 257 Express to Horseshoe Bay, for example.

- Route 257 Luminator signs are iffy... when heading to Vancouver, the side sign flashes Express, then blank, then Vancouver, then blank, then repeats itself. Not sure why they had to do that. Front sign also compresses Vancouver Express such that it fits in one frame, with a poor visual result.

So unfortunately, they're not infalliable, like what someone else pointed out when someone posted a picture of a miniature CHECK on a WVMT D60LFR. Also seems like they rarely update things unless necessary or recreate the programming from scratch every time.