New Flyer electric bus

dj.surf.lfs

7 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

I'd bet 40 footers. The order is split 5 Proterra, 5 NF, so that they can compare the 2 over the duration of their pilot, and based on information gained from that, they'll make a decision on which manufacturer to go with for the future order of 60 electric units. 

Yes, they are 40 footers. Numbered 0011-0015! There are beautiful photos of these buses at ttmg.org! (Go to Whats New?! and look under New Flyer Xcelsior models)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

Yes, they are 40 footers. Numbered 0011-0015! There are beautiful photos of these buses at ttmg.org! (Go to Whats New?! and look under New Flyer Xcelsior models)

They look quite similar to the XN40s...mind you, in other words, that means they looks fabulous. Loving the refreshed headlights. Noticing some heave tread on those tires...at least the rear ones. You have to give credit to NF, the passenger comfort experience has not been hindered because its an electric bus...unlike the K9, which has those massive pillars inside. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018/1/9 at 7:02 PM, MiWay0310 said:

They look quite similar to the XN40s...mind you, in other words, that means they looks fabulous. Loving the refreshed headlights. Noticing some heave tread on those tires...at least the rear ones. You have to give credit to NF, the passenger comfort experience has not been hindered because its an electric bus...unlike the K9, which has those massive pillars inside. 

I think they look like XDE40 more, because XN40 have taller roof line.

1 hour ago, Chinese Daniel said:

I think they look like XDE40 more, because XN40 have taller roof line.

I believe its the standard BRT roofline that can be opted for on any XD40, which comes standard on the XDE40. I think its been modified slightly for the CHARGE, since there is no need to accommodate for a tailpipe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2018 at 5:18 PM, M. Parsons said:

Do you know if it's in for full or partial testing?

I suspect its in for the full test since its an industry first with no predecessor. That and the fact that its the first proper electric artic, NF would be silly not to put it through the full test. Use the logic with the XE40, because that got the full 11 monther. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

Basically what I'm saying, all my BS aside, I suspect its in for the full test since its an industry first with no predecessor. That and the fact that its the first proper electric artic, NF would be silly not to put it through the full test. Use the logic with the XE40, because that got the full 11 monther. 

Exactly. The full test is 9-12 months, so, telling the poster above "a few months" is in fact wrong.

As for being an industry first with with no predecessor being a reason for a full test is crap. Bus manufactures need to have their buses put through Altoona testing if they want to sell them to agencies using federal funding. Pretty much as simple as that.

Certainly, if the FTA or other agencies are providing additional funds for electric buses they might want to subject them to their own set of tests.

Frankly, it would be nice if Altoona would provide fact checking of manufacture claims, unfortunately, there are different configurations that probably prevent this.

So far the BYD K9 that was tested was a Chinese built bus, not the North American version. And the XE40 was a Winnipeg bus which used en route charging, rather than depot charging, and therefore would have more limited range, but with less batterys to lug around, it could have improved milage over a depot charging BYD. Of course, that opens up a can of worms. I think something needs to be done to standardize electric bus testing, in particular with regards to battery technology, charging technology and range. That's for another discussion however.

The XE60 is certainly not an industry first either. I think that industry first was the BYD K11. I'd hazard a guess that BYD's artic has, or is going through Altoona testing. Given that they already have production buses out there (and New Flyer doesn't). This document on page 5 from a year ago seems to imply the testing was already in progress: http://www.avta.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1484

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Exactly. The full test is 9-12 months, so, telling the poster above "a few months" is in fact wrong.

Fair enough, I was giving a rough (under)estimate it seems.

10 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

As for being an industry first with with no predecessor being a reason for a full test is crap. Bus manufactures need to have their buses put through Altoona testing if they want to sell them to agencies using federal funding. Pretty much as simple as that.

I'm aware of the reimbursements, I could've mentioned that. Does New Flyer do its own individual testing? (I refer to actual testing facilities, not serving Winnipeg routes) I don't know, which is why I assume they would want it rigorously tested at Altoona, since its a new type of bus. 

13 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Frankly, it would be nice if Altoona would provide fact checking of manufacture claims, unfortunately, there are different configurations that probably prevent this.

So far the BYD K9 that was tested was a Chinese built bus, not the North American version. And the XE40 was a Winnipeg bus which used en route charging, rather than depot charging, and therefore would have more limited range, but with less batterys to lug around, it could have improved milage over a depot charging BYD. Of course, that opens up a can of worms. I think something needs to be done to standardize electric bus testing, in particular with regards to battery technology, charging technology and range. That's for another discussion however.

Its a relatively new type of bus, at least in the heavy duty 40 and 60ft sector, so I suppose it'll take time to mature. 

19 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

The XE60 is certainly not an industry first either. I think that industry first was the BYD K11. I'd hazard a guess that BYD's artic has, or is going through Altoona testing..............This document on page 5 from a year ago seems to imply the testing was already in progress: http://www.avta.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1484

Eeeehh its kind of murky IMO. This article certainly implies the K11 hasn't. It says:

"Two prototypes, from BYD and New Flyer, based in Canada, are poised to undergo rigorous durability testing, which is required for federal funding of such buses in the country. This could take at least 5 months."

I'm willing to bet they're referring to Altoona. This article is from January 20th of this year, and I assume ABQ provided AlbJournal with up to date info. 

33 minutes ago, tommike said:

they just did the fuel cell 60 right?

so it has the same drive in it?

Yup, B and C axles are both driven. Both XE and XHE are powered by the same Siemens ELFA motor. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone know what the top speed of the CHARGE models are? I hope its not the same 70 as the A330Ks that RTC is getting....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Fair enough, I was giving a rough (under)estimate it seems.

I'm aware of the reimbursements, I could've mentioned that. Does New Flyer do its own individual testing? (I refer to actual testing facilities, not serving Winnipeg routes) I don't know, which is why I assume they would want it rigorously tested at Altoona, since its a new type of bus. 

Its a relatively new type of bus, at least in the heavy duty 40 and 60ft sector, so I suppose it'll take time to mature. 

Eeeehh its kind of murky IMO. This article certainly implies the K11 hasn't. It says:

"Two prototypes, from BYD and New Flyer, based in Canada, are poised to undergo rigorous durability testing, which is required for federal funding of such buses in the country. This could take at least 5 months."

I'm willing to bet they're referring to Altoona. This article is from January 20th of this year, and I assume ABQ provided AlbJournal with up to date info. 

Yup, B and C axles are both driven. Both XE and XHE are powered by the same Siemens ELFA motor. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone know what the top speed of the CHARGE models are? I hope its not the same 70 as the A330Ks that RTC is getting....

We have articulated bus with Siemens ELFA motor in china, those buese only can Up to 80KM for top speed.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Chinese Daniel said:

We have articulated bus with Siemens ELFA motor in china, those buese only can Up to 80KM for top speed.

That doesn't mean anything. The top speed is more of a function of the gearbox, and whatever reduction ratio they've chosen, than anything else.

Dan

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, tommike said:

do any one now if they started making any xe60 yet or they waiting test from the demo first?

On a post from February 6 in this thread, Doppelkupplung said: "They certainly are in production, and both LACMTA and MBTA are expecting to receive theirs later this year."

I'm guessing D- is right, since the Altoona test is mostly a formality, and should not bring up any major problems, assuming NFI knows what they are doing, which they do. But I don't know, only speculating.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Chinese Daniel said:

Will be nice to see newflyer  get different gear ratio, to make the bus go fast than that.

When we are talking about city transit buses, top speed is the least important factor. For heavy-duty city centre routes the important thing is the rate of acceleration, particularly up to 20 mph. Rapid initial acceleration enables buses to pull into the traffic from bus stops and helps the bus keep to schedule.

For most cities it is irrelevant whether top speed is say 45 mph or 60 mph. Transit buses aren't exempt from speed limits ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin607 said:

For most cities it is irrelevant whether top speed is say 45 mph or 60 mph. Transit buses aren't exempt from speed limits ?<span><span><span>

There is probably a reason why the speedometer don't go as high as private automobiles or commercial trucks do.

3 hours ago, martin607 said:

When we are talking about city transit buses, top speed is the least important factor. For heavy-duty city centre routes the important thing is the rate of acceleration, particularly up to 20 mph. Rapid initial acceleration enables buses to pull into the traffic from bus stops and helps the bus keep to schedule.

For most cities it is irrelevant whether top speed is say 45 mph or 60 mph. Transit buses aren't exempt from speed limits ?

It also ensures delays due to onboard injuries.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

NovaBUS' foothold in Montreal has came to an end as STM will deliver 30 electric buses in 2025 and Laval will deliver 10 in 2023.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/local-news/winnipeg-based-bus-manufacturer-awarded-countrys-largest-ever-electric-bus-contract

Winnipeg-based bus manufacturer awarded country's largest ever electric bus contract

Winnipeg-based New Flyer Industries has been awarded Canada’s largest ever electric bus contract by Montreal and Laval.

The contract includes 40, forty-foot, zero-emission electric buses. New Flyer won the bid, beating out two other competitors and now serves all 25 of the largest transit agencies in North America. The buses are expected to hit roads in Quebec in 2020.

Montreal will receive 30 of the buses while Laval will get 10. Both cities operate battery-electric bus pilot programs. Both Montreal and Laval have committed to only purchasing electric buses by 2025 and 2023, respectively.

“New Flyer is proud to deliver on Canada’s largest battery-electric, zero-emission bus procurement, bringing electric mobility to the communities of Laval and Montréal,” said Jennifer McNeill, vice president of sales and business development at New Flyer, in a release on Friday. “We remain committed to creating more livable cities through engineering smarter and more efficient buses, and working collaboratively with industry leaders such as STL and STM to deliver connected, zero-emission public transit solutions.”

New Flyer has over 44,000 buses in service across the continent, including New York, Toronto, Vancouver and Los Angeles. Some 7,300 of those buses are electric powered and 1,600 of them are zero emission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1