Jump to content
septa105R5/seClip9

NJ TRANSIT (New Jersey Transit)

Recommended Posts

Regarding NJ Transit's 4th generation ("D") Flxible Metros:

* 1872 and 1885 are work buses. I don't know if these will be saved.

* 1752 and 1950 are saved by private owners.

* 1976 became a second Command Center 190.

* 3710 is saved by a private owner.

* 3778 is saved by the NJ Transit.

 

If anyone has heard otherwise, feel free to correct me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:08 AM, MTA-(T)-Train said:

Regarding NJ Transit's 4th generation ("D") Flxible Metros:

* 1872 and 1885 are work buses. I don't know if these will be saved.

* 1752 and 1950 are saved by private owners.

* 1976 became a second Command Center 190.

* 3710 is saved by a private owner.

* 3778 is saved by the NJ Transit.

 

If anyone has heard otherwise, feel free to correct me.

Was this a DD50 series unit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50044945_2270272523004717_51273377776454

Quote

NJ TRANSIT BOARD APPROVES PURCHASE OF 85 ARTICULATED BUSES
spacer.gif

NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT’s Board of Directors today approved a contract with New Flyer of America for the purchase of 85 articulated buses. The purchase allows the retirement of the current articulated fleet which has been in revenue service for more than 15 years.

 

Articulated buses are 60 feet long and consist of two segments permanently attached to each other through a pivot point which allows them to negotiate urban traffic and sharp turns.

 

“This purchase allows NJ TRANSIT to continue retiring our older buses in the fleet, which increases mechanical reliability and ultimately helps us better serve our customers with improved on-time performance and important customer amenities such as USB charging ports on the seats,’’ said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director Kevin Corbett. “As we continue to restore NJ TRANSIT to national prominence, an improved customer experience is the hallmark of that effort.  By having our buses spend more time on the road and less time in the shop, customers will notice these improvements at bus stops across New Jersey.”

 

This purchase is a “one for one,’’ replacement of NJ TRANSIT’s aging articulated bus fleet as it reaches the end of its expected service life.

 

It is anticipated that the first vehicle delivery will take approximately 8 months from Notice to Proceed, and the final vehicle will be delivered by the end of 2020. Total cost for this purchase is $65.8 million plus five-percent for contingencies.

 

The articulated buses feature low flooring, which allows customers to embark and disembark more quickly, wheelchair ramps and camera systems to improve customer security and ensure bus operators are better informed of their surroundings.  New customer amenities include USB charging ports, bicycle racks, an improved intercom system and LED lighting.

https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PressReleaseTo&PRESS_RELEASE_ID=3268

image.png

image.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Is this the replacements for 2003-04 Neoplan USA AN459 Transliner Articulated Buses 95xx and 96xx series

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Did neoplan usa reopened their business yet for newer orders yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Is this the replacements for 2003-04 Neoplan USA AN459 Transliner Articulated Buses 95xx and 96xx series

Yes

1 hour ago, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Did neoplan usa reopened their business yet for newer orders yet

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Are they suppose to be coming back? Neoplan USA?

I never heard anything about them returning.

Frankly I'd be surprised if they tried their hand in the US market again. NFI and Gillig have the USA tight in their grip with Eldo and Nova cruising along in the background. With Alexander Dennis covering the double decker market (+ the Enviro200), the Protatoes, NFI, and BYD covering the electric market, and Van Hool trying to re-enter the US market, there's not much market left lol. Part of why Neoplan pulled out IIRC was because of difficulty landing orders, and if they returned now, it's not like selling buses would be any easier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

I never heard anything about them returning.

Frankly I'd be surprised if they tried their hand in the US market again. NFI and Gillig have the USA tight in their grip with Eldo and Nova cruising along in the background. With Alexander Dennis covering the double decker market (+ the Enviro200), the Protatoes, NFI, and BYD covering the electric market, and Van Hool trying to re-enter the US market, there's not much market left lol. Part of why Neoplan pulled out IIRC was because of difficulty landing orders, and if they returned now, it's not like selling buses would be any easier

When they were last here in 2005-2006, They also had the likes of Orion, NABI, and MTS (and at the time, upcoming Designline as well) to deal with. They have all long since closed down, so it shouldn't be too bad now with NABI being acquired and later replaced by New Flyer, Orion exiting the bus business, and MTS and Designline both going up in flames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

When they were last here in 2005-2006, They also had the likes of Orion, NABI, and MTS (and at the time, upcoming Designline as well) to deal with. They have all long since closed down, so it shouldn't be too bad now with NABI being acquired and later replaced by New Flyer, Orion exiting the bus business, and MTS and Designline both going up in flames.

You're correct in everything you said, at least factually. What I will say though is that MTS and Designline has practically no market share. That said with agencies trying to standardize onto one bus model (Look at MBTA, SF Muni, WMATA, etc) and New Flyer aggressively low balling bids all over the place (Even below Gillig), any new manufacturer is going to have issues establishing its footing. Hell Van Hool has made very little headways into the north american market. Part of that is likely because their delivery time frame is a little too far off because of their facility issues but they landed Quebec City and that's it I think? FWIW Van Hool tried for this NJT contract, and their buses would fit into the current 156/158/159 gates unlike the Xcelsiors, but they still lost.

---

Does Neo still build transit buses in Europe even? A lot of their models seem to have gone out of production somewhere in the 2009-2013 range anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

You're correct in everything you said, at least factually. What I will say though is that MTS and Designline has practically no market share. That said with agencies trying to standardize onto one bus model (Look at MBTA, SF Muni, WMATA, etc) and New Flyer aggressively low balling bids all over the place (Even below Gillig), any new manufacturer is going to have issues establishing its footing. Hell Van Hool has made very little headways into the north american market. Part of that is likely because their delivery time frame is a little too far off because of their facility issues but they landed Quebec City and that's it I think? FWIW Van Hool tried for this NJT contract, and their buses would fit into the current 156/158/159 gates unlike the Xcelsiors, but they still lost.

---

Does Neo still build transit buses in Europe even? A lot of their models seem to have gone out of production somewhere in the 2009-2013 range anyway.

I agree that Neoplan hasn't really been relevant in over a decade, but I'm surprised that Van Hool still sells Transit buses to North America markets. I thought their issue was parts and services related seeing that their buses are assembled overseas in Belgium IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I agree that Neoplan hasn't really been relevant in over a decade, but I'm surprised that Van Hool still sells Transit buses to North America markets. I thought their issue was parts and services related seeing that their buses are assembled overseas in Belgium IIRC.

Van Hool hasn't really sold their transit buses in North America for a while. However they look to be making a comeback with their announcement of a new manufacturing facility in Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Yeah, last time was around 2011 I believe.

 

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Yeah, last time was around 2011 I believe.

2012. Krapf's Transit likely acquired the last of the new Van Hool A300L buses for its Route A and Philly Navy Yard Contract.

 

It'll be interesting to see new New Flyer Xcelsior XD60 for the new Artic Fleet for NJ Transit.

 

https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PressReleaseTo&PRESS_RELEASE_ID=3268

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

No it is not it was bankrupt and sold off in 2007

According to Wikipedia, Neoplan USA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August 2006,[6] listing assets of $13.7 million and debts of $59 million, after closing its manufacturing plant in 2006.

The company still technically continued to exist until selling its parts-supply division, Neopart. Once Neopart was sold, in October 2007,[8][9] Neoplan USA ceased to exist.

But FYI, Neoplan Bus GmbH is still in business in Germany and it is an German automotive company that manufactures buses, trolleybuses and coaches. It is a subsidiary of MAN SE. As of this, did you now the neoplan founder Gottlob Auwärter who founded Neoplan Bus GmBH in 1 July 1935

6. Juni 1903 in Möhringen; † 10. August 1993)

IMG_20190213_211538_585.jpg

IMG_20190213_211754_422.jpg

2539bda6ddf2c6b3ba06a07fec88a6cf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

According to Wikipedia, Neoplan USA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August 2006,[6] listing assets of $13.7 million and debts of $59 million, after closing its manufacturing plant in 2006.

The company still technically continued to exist until selling its parts-supply division, Neopart. Once Neopart was sold, in October 2007,[8][9] Neoplan USA ceased to exist.

But FYI, Neoplan Bus GmbH is still in business in Germany and it is an German automotive company that manufactures buses, trolleybuses and coaches. It is a subsidiary of MAN SE. As of this, did you now the neoplan founder Gottlob Auwärter who founded Neoplan Bus GmBH in 1 July 1935

6. Juni 1903 in Möhringen; † 10. August 1993)

IMG_20190213_211538_585.jpg

IMG_20190213_211754_422.jpg

2539bda6ddf2c6b3ba06a07fec88a6cf.jpg

You first said Neoplan USA. Long out of business.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotted the following in a lot in Jersey City:

D4000: 7757, 7415, 7410, 7933, 7759, 7673, 8027, 7814, 8081, 8061, 8027, 7814, 8057, 7640, 7509, 8074, 8073, 7735, 8062, 7936, 8068, 8071, 8105, 7407, 8105, 8059, 7821, 8986, 7505, 7416, 8085, 7607, 8040, 8085, 8088, 8028, 7406, 7414, 7418, 7549, 7994, 7995, 7606, 7665, 7951

D4000N: 7802-7805

D4500: 8212, 8237, 8961-8968

AN459: 9526

Ecocoach: 7201, 7204-7214

RTS: 1356, 4001-4003

 

I would assume it's safe to say these are all retired now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 3:21 PM, MTA-(T)-Train said:

Spotted the following in a lot in Jersey City:

D4000: 7757, 7415, 7410, 7933, 7759, 7673, 8027, 7814, 8081, 8061, 8027, 7814, 8057, 7640, 7509, 8074, 8073, 7735, 8062, 7936, 8068, 8071, 8105, 7407, 8105, 8059, 7821, 8986, 7505, 7416, 8085, 7607, 8040, 8085, 8088, 8028, 7406, 7414, 7418, 7549, 7994, 7995, 7606, 7665, 7951

D4000N: 7802-7805

D4500: 8212, 8237, 8961-8968

AN459: 9526

Ecocoach: 7201, 7204-7214

RTS: 1356, 4001-4003

 

I would assume it's safe to say these are all retired now.

I also seen 5638 running on Route 119 in the NJ Transit colors, isn't 5631-5637 still under Olympia Trails or now operated under New Jersey Transit or Academy Bus Lines? Plus they're already starting to retire the AN459s already? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Plus they're already starting to retire the AN459s already? 

That was only because it was damaged in a collision. AN459 retirement hasn't started, but Big tree and Hilton aren't using them as much as they used to. The XD60 pilot is supposed to be arriving soon but production units don't arrive until winter so the Neoplans aren't going anywhere for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...