Cigarette Brands

captaintrolley

My friend David and I were having a discussion that somehow ended up being one about cigarettes and of brands that seem to be gone or on their way out. It seems like there aren't as many brands as there once was.

Some brands that I don't see around anymore or are not as prevalent as they once were, are:

Sweet Caporals

Buckinghams

Peter Jackson

Vantage

Peter Stuyvesant

Kent

Viceroy

Tareyton

Rothmans

Can you think of any now-rare breed of cigarette ?

Do they still make

Matinee, Export A, Du Maurier, Number 7 ?

My friend David and I were having a discussion that somehow ended up being one about cigarettes and of brands that seem to be gone or on their way out. It seems like there aren't as many brands as there once was.

Some brands that I don't see around anymore or are not as prevalent as they once were, are:

Sweet Caporals

Buckinghams

Peter Jackson

Vantage

Peter Stuyvesant

Kent

Viceroy

Tareyton

Rothmans

Do they still make

Camels are still popular in the Mill Woods area of Edmonton.

Is Player's a cigarette brand?

Yup.. They are still pretty much around. I was going after the rarities. Sort of a 'retirement' watch.

yup

i dont know if they still make JPS (john player special) though.

I saw a PKG of JPS not too long ago. so still around, but rare.

Camels, Marlboro, and Lucky Strike are more from the US aren't they.

I haven't seen the Viscount brand in a long time.

Same with More, Craven A, Pall Mall...

There was a yellow (?) pkg with a hunter and a duck on it...Sportsmans?

The discussion came about and ended where I was talking about a cigarette machine in the coffee shop area of the

Royalight Service Station on 142 Street and 118 Avenue. There must have been a good two or three rows of buttons (selections)

and I had (at one point in my childhood) had all these memorized. So David and I tried to recall as many brands as we could.

I supposed I could Google it, but for the time being I want to brain storm and see how many I / We can come up with.

Thanks for all your help.

A lot of the brands like Lucky Strikes are available else where in the world even the US. I always remembered Lufthansa's inflight magazine always advertising Rothmans with a picture of a pilot and a Porsche.

West cigarette's are very popular in Europe, they have one called Ice and the box looks like a fridge, there sort of a menthol blend but have a very minty taste to them and almost a "cool" smoke ... very different to say the least. In Russia, some of the cigarettes have a plastic filter that kind of looks like a fan and its supposed to swirl the smoke more when you inhale for a smoother taste, but I never found it did.

American Spirit used to be available in Canada a few years back, but haven't seen it anywhere other than actual tobbaco stores. Black Death is another one I haven't seen for years.

I think the harshest cigarettes I've ever had were a brand called Habana's, I bought them in Barcelona out of a vending machine ... my Lord were they nasty :unsure:

West cigarette's are very popular in Europe, they have one called Ice and the box looks like a fridge, there sort of a menthol blend but have a very minty taste to them and almost a "cool" smoke ... very different to say the least.

There was a menthol brand KOOL IIRC, and Virinia Slims - for the ladies.

Sweet Caporals

Buckinghams

Peter Jackson

Vantage

Peter Stuyvesant

Kent

Viceroy

Tareyton

Rothmans

Do they still make

Peter Jackson is still pretty popular, and, due to the price of cigarettes, Viceroy is becoming more popular (along with Pall Mall). They also do still make Matinee, Export A, Du Maurier and Number 7. They probably don't seem as prevalent due to the lack of store-side displays and the rise in prices. Viscount is also still around.

For somebody who doesn't smoke, I sure know a lot. :unsure:

American Spirit used to be available in Canada a few years back, but haven't seen it anywhere other than actual tobbaco stores.

Brigham is the distributor of them for Canada, but, likely due to demand, that's why you don't see a lot.