Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal (SIM)

Night shot of SIM 290, a 1990 Mack MR / Thibault spare pumper which is currently replacing pumper 277 at station 77. The sliver box on the top was a modification done by the Montreal municipal workshops in 2005.

SIM_290.JPG

Also Montreal should be getting 50 E-One Cyclone II units over 5 years. I just dont know how many will be pumpers and how many will be ladders

I believe this deal started in 2009. That's when we started getting bunches of them. In 08, the SIM still had trucks from the 70's. Now the oldest we got left are 2 international Cargostars from 85-86.

Yes I remember seeing pics online from Montreal from up to a few years ago with lots of older apparatus. Same thing happened in Toronto when they 1st merged into the megacity in the late 90's the 1st few years had tones of old apparatus running around.

Forget about what I said about E-One vehicles being delivered in bunches starting in 2009. The 5 year contract started in 2007! So 2011 is the final year of this deal with E-One. This was the news about the contract in the Feb 2007 issue of Fire Apparatus:

The City of Montreal awarded E-ONE a 5-year contract valued at $46.6 million (U.S. dollars) to build 70 fire rescue vehicles.

"E-ONE was given this opportunity because of their delivery time, price, warranty and, with about 40 E-ONE's currently in service, our knowledge and confidence in their product," said Montreal Fire Chief Serge Tremblay.

The relationship between Montreal and E-ONE began more than 13 years ago when Montreal ordered two 135-foot aerials which remain in service today.

"Montreal is a forward-thinking department," said Marc Gustafson, president of E-ONE. "We are excited to win their confidence, yet again, for the next five years."

The initial order, to be completed over the next two years, includes 16 HP100 aerials and 16 custom enclosed top-mount pumpers with cold weather climate packages.

From a 2011 SIM fire apparatus delivery sheet I have, in 2011 the SIM is getting 6 ladders and 8 pumpers from E-One as well as 2 salvage units.

One of the more common first line response engines in Montreal, here's a shot of SIM 209 based out of station 9. This is a 2009 E-One Cyclone II pump in the SIM's newer livery with dark blue roof. This livery started with the first delivery of E-One pumpers and ladders in 2007. All engines that remain in the SIM that were built before 2007 are still all red, except for a rare few that got repainted with the dark blue roof.

SIM_209.JPG

The second most common type of pumper still active after the E-One's in Montreal, is the Freightliner COE model. There are 2 versions of this pumper. One built by Anderson and the other by Phoenix. Pictured here is a spare unit SIM #299, a 1992 Freightliner COE / Anderson pump.

SIM_299.JPG

The SIM's auxiliairy fire fighters have 3 vehicles in their fleet. One of there units, SIM #1330 is a 1991 GMC/Grumman Lafleur Canteen van. This unit responds on thrid, forth and fifth alarm fires only. It provides food and beverages to the fire frighters on scene.

SIM1330.JPG

Does the SIM still have the 1988 Pacific Bronto Skylift? (Unit 7019)

No that massive fire truck was retired February 6th, 2009 from active service. It was later sold at an auction for $9K. Here's a video of it on youtube I found:

Another spare unit, SIM #296 is a 1992 International S4900 manufactured by Phoenix. There are only 2 other International S4900 in the SIM, but they were built in 2000 and are spares now as well. This pumper merged in the SIM fleet in 2002 when the mega city was created. It was formerly Beaconsfield #132 pre-2002.

SIM_296.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Another spare unit, SIM #296 is a 1992 International S4900 manufactured by Phoenix. There are only 2 other International S4900 in the SIM, but they were built in 2000 and are spares now as well. This pumper merged in the SIM fleet in 2002 when the mega city was created. It was formerly Beaconsfield #132 pre-2002.

Nice 4 door International cab!

Here's a one off vehicle in the fleet, SIM #276 a 1994 KME Renegade based at station 76. This is the only KME built truck in the fleet. Note the white roof on this unit is because of the pre megacity merger in 2002 this unit belonged to the city of Westmount.

SIM_276.JPG

Here's a one off vehicle in the fleet, SIM #276 a 1994 KME Renegade based at station 76. This is the only KME built truck in the fleet. Note the white roof on this unit is because of the pre megacity merger in 2002 this unit belonged to the city of Westmount.

nice odd ball KME

• 2 weeks later...

How about some odd ball paint schemes! SIM 4073, a 1997 E-One Hurricane ladder outside station 73 still in the old Ville de St-Laurent yellow livery! There are 5 fire engines in the SIM that are still yellow. They are pumpers 217, 272, 4008 and ladders 4073 and 771.

SIM_4073.JPG

How about some odd ball paint schemes! SIM 4073, a 1997 E-One Hurricane ladder outside station 73 still in the old Ville de St-Laurent yellow livery! There are 5 fire engines in the SIM that are still yellow. They are pumpers 217, 272, 4008 and ladders 4073 and 771.

SIM_4073.JPG

That E-One Hurricane was branded as a Superior Hurricane model. You should add a fire apparatus part to your website.

You should add a fire apparatus part to your website.

I'll think about it but fire trucks on a transit site!? I don't know. It just doesn't sound right for some reason. Mind you Martin and Peter did it on their sites.. ;)

I'll think about it but fire trucks on a transit site!? I don't know. It just doesn't sound right for some reason. Mind you Martin and Peter did it on their sites.. ;)

LOl time to rename your site then lol. Also If you read Fire Apparatus Journal, you should see about writing a peice about Montreal for them. Its been a while since they had a write up on Montreal